Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daveromeril Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 12:00 PM
    Trying to connect a light, single pole switch, receptacle and a line furhter down
    I am trying to figure out how to connect a light, single pole switch, receptacle and a line that goes to another room. The "hot" is coming into a rectangular box for the light fixture. I can figure out how to get constant power to the receptacle and the room further down the line, I am having trouble running the hot so it will switch on and off the light. Any help is greatly appreciated
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Oct 20, 2008, 12:50 PM

If you've figured out the constant power, then you know you have the incoming black hot wire connected to the outgoing black wire, and the incoming white white going to the outgoing white wire.

For a light and a switch, connect the black wire from the switch to the black (hot) incoming wire from the panel. Then connect the white wire from the switch to the black wire of the light. Basically, you are using the switch to interrupt the current to the light. Then connect the white wire of the light to the white wire from the panel (and the white going to the other room)

The ground on the wire from the panel gets connected to the ground screw on the box, and then to all remaining ground wires

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many lights on single pole switch [ 7 Answers ]

I am planning to install 2 ceiling fans and 2 lights which will be operated from a single pole switch. The switch in question operated 1 light which has been replaced with a 2 light fixture. The ceiling fans will seldom be ran at the same time with the lights. Will this be too much for a single...

Double pole or single pole switch 4 reversing fan [ 4 Answers ]

I currently have a switch for my fan and another one for my fan light. I would like to reverse the fan movement. Would I use a double pole double throw or a single pole double throw switch?

Want to add single pole switch [ 2 Answers ]

I have a motion detector that gets it power from a outlet in the carport. I like to put a switch to cut it off.the hot wire from the sensor light running thougt the switch back through the outlet. But then I cut it off will it cut off the power to the outlet or just the sensor light ?

Need to add 3-way lighting to a single pole switch [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have some kitchen lights on a single pole switch. I want to add another switch to control the kitchen lights. I have power in a switch box that I want to add the 3-way light switch. I know Leviton and Lutron both make switches that can make this happen with out running a 14/3 wire between...

Trying to change a single pole light switch to a single pole swith with a light below [ 5 Answers ]

I have a kitchen light and a basement light that are together in one electrical box, but are on single switches. I purchased a "single pole switch and pilot light" combination so I could see easily if the basement light is on. In the box there is a black, red and white wire. For the single pole...

View more questions Search