Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    freshstart08 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2008, 11:51 AM
    Writing a check on a closed account to MYSELF?
    Ok, I know this sounds really bad and dishonest. But a couple of times, I have written a couple checks to my OPEN account to myself from an old CLOSED account (I still had the checkbook after I closed it) to avoid overdraft fees. For example, I have $50 in my account, I don't get paid for 2 more days. I know tomorrow a transaction for $55, $3, $10, etc. is going to go through. Well if I ride it out, bam! I get over $100 in overdraft fees. If I write a bad check however, this covers me until I get paid, then the check comes back as "closed account" and they assess me a $19.99 chargeback fee.

Can they do anything to me? It is not like I am defrauding anyone, except myself, and my current bank as far as them not earning any "overdraft fees" on me... I know this is dishonest but nothing has ever happened to me so I am wondering if this could affect me at a future date?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 19, 2008, 11:55 AM

I believe the transaction you mention is called 'kiting' and if it has a name, then you know someone else has been found out doing it too and probably got into some trouble, although I don't know what the outcome would be.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 19, 2008, 12:32 PM

Yes, it is very illegal ( actually writing the bad checks are also but bank is just covering it)

The way to solve it, keep your bank balanced, don't ever write a check unless there is money in the bank.

But yes, writing it is serious
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2008, 03:25 PM

This is illegal. Best way is to just live within your means and stop this habit of yours. You are willing to pay a $20 chargeback fee for each check you kite. What sort of rationale are you using to keep paying a $20 chargeback fee? Wouldn't it be more sensible and economical to just wait until the money is in your account and then write a check? How many times a month do you do this? Makes no sense to me whatsoever why you would entertain throwing your money away like that in $20 increments.
    freshstart08 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2008, 03:46 PM
    Well, to be honest, I have a gambling problem. So it's either overdraft fees close to $200 or $20. I have quit gambling for over 2 months. Now, and my bank account is finally in the black, so I don't plan on being stupid again, but just wondering if they haven't said anything already, am I in the clear? I mean, can they file charges a year later? The checks were all $500 and under.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2008, 03:57 PM

The bank is making money off you. But since the checks are written from a non-existent account, and not an insufficient fund problem, the fraud is documented in writing in your own handwriting. If you have already been charged a fee from the last episode, you might be OK. They might get sick of it at any time and press charges.
    reformer Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Sep 12, 2009, 07:49 PM
    Writing checks on a closed account is not illegal! The uuc1- Uniform Commercial Code places US ALL, in the same position to discharge debt. Simply reserve the routing numbers on your UCC1 and since HJR192-House Joint Resolution 192, gives us the ability to use closed checks on open accounts, will balance to ZERO at the close of ANY BUSINESS DAY. WHY? The Form 1120 is used to "cover 'BAD' checks". The IRS issues this to small Trust CO. and it allows them to settle ALL COMMERCIAL TRANSACTIONS.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2009, 06:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by reformer View Post
    writing checks on a closed account is not illegal! the uuc1- Uniform Commercial Code places US ALL, in the same position to discharge debt. Simply reserve the routing numbers on your UCC1 and since HJR192-House Joint Resolution 192, gives us the ability to use closed checks on open accounts, will balance to ZERO at the close of ANY BUSINESS DAY. WHY? The Form 1120 is used to "cover 'BAD' checks". The IRS issues this to small Trust CO. and it allows them to settle ALL COMMERCIAL TRANSACTIONS.

What the heck are you talking about? I have no idea why this is your one and only post and in NY it IS a crime to write a check on a closed account.

Otherwise - what?
    alaskies Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2010, 10:40 PM
    Yes it is illegal to write checks from a closed account. I have much experience with this. I had a really bad drug problem and would write checks from an old closed account, for 100 dollars each, deposit them into my new open checking account, obviously previously empty, and then withdrawl 100 dollars. And I would do this basically until the system automatically put a hold on my account (it would stop allowing me to withdrawl money after I deposited the last check)... banks vary with how many times the system will allow one to deposit checks and then withdrawl the amount you just "deposited"... bank of america only let me do two and then cut me off after the third... but the credit union, on the other hand let me do it six times, then cutting me off after I deposited the seventh check. Needless to say, this is quite illegal and you will most likely be contacted by the bank on the next business day with news that they are required to contact the local authorities... the last time I did it, which was at the credit union, I was arrested a couple weeks later on a different charge. When I asked the arresting detective about my check fraud and if I would be arrested on that, he chuckled and said, "no, not yet, but you should pay that back as soon as you can". So moral of the story is, yes it is illegal, no its not at the top of law enforcement agenda and by the time you were arrested for it, you would have had, I would estimate, a minimum of a month to make good on it.
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2010, 05:31 AM

This post is a year old, April 2009. OP has not been back.
    Heff01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2010, 10:32 AM
    Although technically you may have violated the law, the bank won't prosecute since you've repaid promptly enough, but it could close your account for cause and report it to ChexSystems if you keep it up. Also be aware that most banks today reorder debits on the same business day in largest-to-smallest order, so that the chargeback comes first and you wind up with multiple overdraft fees anyway.
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2010, 06:43 AM

Once again, this is a very old thread and the person who asked has not been back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long do I have to pay off a check written off a closed account [ 4 Answers ]

How long do I have to pay off a check written on a closed account before a warrant is issued?

Interest & late fees on closed account. [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Florida and am being taken to a pre trail conference for an unpaid credit card. The account was closed back in 2007 by the creditor. Card max limit was $500, balance on the card is currently $1100 and change. The representing agency suing me on the companies behalf said I have to pay...

Capital One attempting to collect on closed account [ 2 Answers ]

We were just served by a law firm hired by Capital One for a supposed credit card amount not paid over 3 years ago. We closed that account and paid any outstanding balance 3 years ago. We have 20 days to respond to the court if we wish to dispute this charge or we would lose by default. From...

Closed Checking Account [ 3 Answers ]

What actions can I take against a person who wrote me a check on a closed account and refuse to pay me? If I take her to court, can I also make her pay court fees?

How do I recover emails from a closed webmail account? [ 3 Answers ]

I asked virgin.net to close my "pay as you go" webmail account when I switched to their broadband - but didn't realise that in the process this deleted every email I had on that account! They said there is "no way" these emails can be recovered - not even by them. Surely there must be some way...

View more questions Search