Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janie1167 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Do I have to clean my carpets before I move out of my rental in beaverton Oregon?
    I just moved out of my rental house and they want $200 to clean the carpets. Why? I have never had to do this ever with the refundable deposit. The owners moved in within a half an hour of me moving out. They said there daughter was deathlyallergic to pet dander. If anyone knows would someone move in with furniture and children before the carpets are clean. Especially if deathly allergic to pet dander? The house was cleaner on the move out than the move in. I have never lost 5 cents in the past. Please anyone help me with this? What are my rights in state of Oregon. Can I demand a cleaning receipt. I am feeling scammed.:(
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2008, 04:08 PM

Well, have you read through your lease completely to make sure there's no "fine print" in there that you agreed to? The other thing is to read your state's landlord / tenant laws. There's a "sticky" at the top of this forum with a link to each state's laws.

In most states the landlord does have to show receipts for any deductions they take from your security deposit. Charging the tenant for carpet cleaning is not unusual in any of the places I've owned properties.

You can always take the landlord to small claims court for anything you believe to be unfair deductions. Generally, if the landlord can show receipts for whatever repairs, cleaning, etc they've had done you would have the burden of proof to refute the charges.

You do have an excellent point about them moving in PRIOR to having the carpets cleaned. It definitely takes some of the wind out of their sales, so to speak, but it they do have a receipt for having it done, it would probably be seen by the court as a legitimate deduction UNLESS your state specifically prohibits it.

Hope that helps.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 17, 2008, 06:10 PM

Yes, unless you hired your own cleaner, it is normal to have cleaning deducted if there is cleaning needed, and to clean for pets is also normal

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wet under carpets [ 2 Answers ]

Hi our bedroom floor which is concrete, is condensating under the carpet, and is noticeably wet, along with the outside corners of the room being damp with black mould, can anyone tell.: me what they think is the problem

Home seller must replace carpets? [ 3 Answers ]

We are under a contract already to buy a house, but did not specify in the contract the need for the carpet to be replaced. Can we still ask for it before closing? It can be part of the inspection report? Thanks

Changing carpets in apartments [ 1 Answers ]

In PA is there a housing law requiring an apartment complex to change carpets between tenants. When my daughter moved in, the carpets were not new. She lived in the apartment for 18 months and was charged for changing the carpets when she moved out. Is there a law requiring carpets to be changed...

Cross country move in a rental truck [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am moving from San Francisco, CA to Pittsburgh, PA (2700 miles) and based on where the house I am living in is located, my only option in moving is to rent a truck and tow my car behind it. I am renting a 16 foot truck and a car carrier (not tow dolly) for my Honda Accord and would like...

Worn Out Carpets [ 3 Answers ]

I moved into my apartment 12 years ago and the owner, at that time, put wall to wall carpeting in my apartment. The building has been bought and sold three times since then. The carpet was very "cheap" and after 12 years it is worn, dirty and is stretching in many places. Is the present owner...

View more questions Search