Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimjewkes Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2008, 02:11 PM
    Is it dangerous to be around wood stain all the time?
    I work in an office in a place that does a lot of wood staining/sealing. They do it in the back of the warehouse, and my office is towards the front, but the smell is really strong all the time.

Is it dangerous to my health to be around this all the time?
    Should I look for a new job? Would an air purifier help?

I don't want to leave my job, but the smell really bothers me and makes me feel sick.

This might not be the right forum for my question, so please don't hate me.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 17, 2008, 02:16 PM

Hi kimjewkes, no one will hate you for asking a good question, or bad question, here, although we do get some dandies as you can imagine.

Wood stain odors are usually not toxic, but you may want to ask your Plant Manager for confirmation of this because it should be posted somewhere in the plant. An air purifier in your own area would be a great help if you feel safer with one.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2008, 02:21 PM

I've been reading on line that wood stains contain Volatile Organic Compounds. You can read about them here:

Volatile organic compound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    kimjewkes Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2008, 02:21 PM
    Maybe I can ask you for some other advice then.

I currently work for a very small business and the owner is open with us about his staining booth being illegal. (I believe it's not ventalated properly)

It did not pass inspection but the city made a mistake and gave him a business license anyway.

What can I do to force him into regulation?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

This is big, but is it dangerous? [ 6 Answers ]

This spider has been living large in my yard in Katy Texas for a few months now. It is around 2 -3 inches in length. Hard to measure as I'm really frightened by it. Is is a harmful fellow? I have no plans to touch it, but the kids and dogs may be in danger. The yellow and black stripes on the body...

Wood Stain/Varnish Smell in Clothes Dryer [ 2 Answers ]

HELP! We have been doing a lot of remodeling in our home and therefore have been doing a lot of stripping and staining of wood floors and wood work. After doing my laundry this weekend I realized that all of my clothes coming out of the dryer have a chemical smell on them. I have washed and dried...

Hi how do I remove wood adhesive from wood cabinetry [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, how do I remove wood adhesive from wood cabinetry. The gentleman who installed the cabinets inadvertently rubbed the glue on the cabinet itself... it looks awful.. thanks

Emo dangerous? [ 32 Answers ]

I know a 13 year old who claims emo, she writes terrible stories about murder, blood, rape and more, she says she cuts herself, but I am hundreds of miles away and only have recently met her through my husband, (its his sister) he thinks she disturbed, and tries to talk to her to get to know her...

How to stain wood? [ 2 Answers ]

My question is simple, I believe. What is the proper way or technique in staining on wood. I have kitchen cabinets, doors, and trim that I would like to stain. American Cherry stain is what I have, and I am putting it on pine, popular wood. I know I need foam brushes and all that LOL. I think I...

View more questions Search