Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SexxiGurl1989 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2008, 04:10 AM
    A 14 Year old Dating A 19 Year Old
    I'm wondering I know someone that is 14 and is in love with a 19 year old if its not a sexual relationship are they able to date in B.C laws? Basically I'm wondering is it illeagal so have a sexual relationship or a regualer relationship or what the info you can give me
    Worried Auntie Posts: 28, Reputation: 3

Oct 17, 2008, 06:21 AM

I'm assuming that it is illegal in most states, if there is a sexual relationship involved.
    Of course I guess this also depends on how the parents feel about it. If they are okay with the relationship being NON sexual then I wouldn't think that they would turn you in. However there is a five year age difference there. A nineteen year old should be worried about college and having fun not having to babysit their 14 year old date.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2008, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SexxiGurl1989 View Post
    im wondering i know someone that is 14 and is in love with a 19 year old if its not a sexual relationship are they able to date in B.C laws? basically im wondering is it illeagal so have a sexual realtionship or a regualer relationship or what the info you can give me

You can certainly date.

The problem with a sexual relationship - The way I read the law the age of consent is 14 - Government is trying to raise it to 16 but that hasn't happened yet. The problem appears to be the age difference because the parties cannot legally be 5 years or more apart in age, which you are.

I'll skip the speech about the age difference and suggest that if a sexual relationship is within the Law and you go in that direction that you use birth control. These boards tend to have a lot of young, unwed mothers posting who thought they were in love and who, for whatever reason, are raising children alone with very little money.

So be smart - you were smart enough to ask this question - :)

EDIT: I stand corrected on the age. Please see Scott's advice below. As part of this law the age difference language now is: "But the law includes a 'close-in-age exception,' meaning 14- and 15-year-olds can have sex with someone who is less than five years older."
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 17, 2008, 06:57 AM

There is no place I know of where there are laws restricting dating. All the laws restrict a sexual relationship between a minor and an adult.

As of 5/1/08, the age of consent was raised to 16 in Canada (Canada's age of consent raised by 2 years) So it would be illegal for the 14 yr old to have sex with the 19 yr old.

I notice that you said; "someone that is 14 and is in love with a 19 year old", rather than a 14 yr old and 19 yr old in love. That suggests to me thjat you have a 14 yr old infatuated with 19 yr old and the 19 yr old possibly putting the 14 yr old off saying it would be illegal to date.

That a 14 yr old and a 19 yr old are at very different points in their development. They would have vastly different interests. Generally a 19 yr old would only be interested in a 14 yr old for one thing.

So I would advise your 14 yr old friend that she should forget about this relationship and not bother the 19 yr old. In 5 years, if the 19 yr old is still available, they can try again.
    sazxd Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2008, 02:15 PM

I'm in england so it may be different, but if it's a sexual relationship between a 14 year old and a 19 year old, it would be statutory rape even with consent because it's sex with a minor... but I'm a newbie law student so I wouldn't quote me entirely on that.
    I'm not sure if any law is against dating in a non-sexual relationship, I'm over the age of consent and my partner is four and a half years older than me, it all depends on the maturity of the girl involved I guess because if SHE believes she is mature enough then I think it best not to get too involved
    Sorry that was a bit vague, I know what I'm trying to say

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

14 year old dating [ 7 Answers ]

Hi my name is Amanda I am going out with a 17 year old and I am 14 is that Illegal I thought that the law was like no older then 3 years apart . Most girls my age and mabey even younger go out with guys older then that ! Also most guys these days have the mentality of a 10 year old so what is the...

I am 20 year old dating a married man. [ 20 Answers ]

I been dating a married man for almost two years now . I am 20 and he 29 year old handsome business man. Don't get me wrong I am not with him because of the money or his looks because I am not materialistic, I really love him. We are so emotionally attached. We really love each other. The worst...

17 year old dating 14 year old what to do? [ 16 Answers ]

OK so I'm a 17 year old male turing 18 in three months and I'm dating a 14 year old freshmen girl turning 15 in 2 months, I was wondering weather an intimate relationship is out of the questions? For example kissing, holding hands the works I understand the age of consent in Washington is 16 and ia...

Boy 16, dating 11 year old girl. Is that OK? [ 13 Answers ]

Is it OK for a teenage boy, 16, to date an 11 year old girl? What is the consensus...

View more questions Search