Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amatanqua Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2008, 07:47 AM
    Judgement from a civil case: Liens against IRAs?
    Judgements in a civil case:

I am involved in a civil law suit and should a judgement be set against me, what monies can they put a lien on?

I am mainly concerned about only my IRAs. I have no assets-home, car, etc. My biggest asset is my computer, which is on a credit card. I am 65 and do have ss which I haven't touched.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 15, 2008, 08:47 AM

No they can't file a lien against retirement savings.

Oct 16, 2008, 10:52 AM

Thank you Scott. Your answer is very definite but I have also been told by the Citibank that it depends on whether it is court ordered. Do you have any additional information that might help with this?

Best, Amatanqua
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 16, 2008, 11:26 AM

The government would be able to attach the accounts for back taxes or child support. But I don't blieve it would be attachable as the result of a civil case. However, once you transferred money out of the IRA, it could be attached.

Oct 16, 2008, 12:09 PM

Thank you Scott.
    knights26 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2010, 09:05 AM
    I live in Mass. I had a lien placed on my home in Nov 2004. I was told that a civil lien is good for 6 yrs.

My question to you is. Is this true ? Would they have to renew the lien in Nov 2010 ? Can I transfer title of
    My home to my wife after Nov of 2010 ?

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Civil case [ 2 Answers ]

How do you ask for a summary judgment when representing yourself in pretrial?

Timeframe in the statute of limitations in a civil case [ 3 Answers ]

Can you take someone to small claims court IF you filed the papers with the court and had them served with the summons to appear before the statute of limitations runs out BUT the actual court date is after that date?

Notice of Judgement/Transcript Civil Case [ 1 Answers ]

Recently a certified letter was delivered to my home to "Jack Smith, Jr.". Well, I am Jack Smith, III and my 18 year old son is Jack Smith (we changed his middle name). So when the mailman knocked on my door and asked for Jack Smith, Jr. my son figured it was for him and he signed for it and that...

Civil case on my credit report [ 6 Answers ]

Ok here is the deal, I am trying to by a house and the loan lady pulled my credit report and it is showing a unpaid judgement from back in June/06 that the other person never filed the paper work with the court. (I paid them the day of the court case). Ok now here is the interesting part. One...

Civil Case [ 7 Answers ]

My best friend was recently killed by a drunk habitual offender with a long criminal record, driving 60 miles an hour on 25 mile residential street. The DA has offered a plea, he will only be facing 75 months if accepted (nothing for all the heartache he has caused). Can the family file a civil...

View more questions Search