Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donnawar50 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2008, 03:19 AM
    Collection agency calling workplace
    Can a collection agency call my workplace and tell my boss that I need to call them and ask for the legal dept. This was very upsetting, now my boss wants to know what kind of legal trouble I have
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Oct 13, 2008, 04:57 AM

You need to notify them in writing not to contact you at work. Send them a regeristered letter and get a receipt.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 13, 2008, 06:13 AM

What they did was borderline unethical, but I think they stayed within bounds. All they did was leave a message without identifiying what the call was about. Of course, specifying you need to call the legal dept, puts an onus on the call.

As slow said you can stop future calls.

As for dealing with your boss. I don't advocate lying, but you can simply tell your boss that the problem was not yours, they were calling in reference to another issue.
    Jagstarrr Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Feb 18, 2009, 09:21 AM

I agree with ScottGem. I actually think they are not allowed to call one's place of employment. I read that somewhere while researching my situation. I would look into it or even call a credit attorney. Some will tell you if that's legal or not for free.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2009, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagstarrr View Post
    I agree with ScottGem. I actually think they are not allowed to call one's place of employment. I read that somewhere while researching my situation. I would look into it or even call a credit attorney. Some will tell you if that's legal or not for free.

They are allowed to call if they are discreet and until you tell them not to call in the future. Employers tend to be called when people won't respond to any other communication.

You continue to give consistently bad legal advice.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2009, 07:50 PM

If you want to put a stop to any creditor calls the next time they do get you on the phone, tell them to send whatever they are calling you about in a letter and mail the letter to you and to not call you anymore, either at work or at home.

You don't have to speak to them on the phone and can hang up at any time after you inform them to put it in writing and stop calling you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection Agency [ 1 Answers ]

Sued By credit Card Company. I answered the summons, went to court, was referred to mediation. In between the court date and the mediation date I received a motion for summary disposition, also with that they provided all the statements, the bill of sale, affidavits etc. Nothing with my signature...

Collection agency still calling after payment agreement made & pymts being made [ 4 Answers ]

I have an outstanding bill with Hydro one in Ontario of 800.00 owing since 2003, with interest the bill has now doubled to 1600.00, I was unable to make payments on this bill due to financial reasons, but this past month & half I have been paying 100.00 /month to the collection agency, they are...

Collection agency [ 2 Answers ]

I had a collection agency call me and told me that they would refuse my $15.00 payment cause they wanted $50.00, they found out that I own my house and that was all she wanted to know. I did send her a check for $15.oo can they still put a lean against my house even thu I am sending payments?

Co-Applicant for Apartment - Now Collection Calling [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I few years back about 2002/2003 I co-applied with a friend for an apartment (I never lived their had my own place elsewhere only visited twice if that much). The person moved early but told me that they spoke with the super. Who intern spoke with management who said it was OK,but...

View more questions Search