Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dillon1952 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2008, 05:42 AM
    Does unplugging save energy?
    Does unplugging appliances and TVs save significant energy as opposed to just turning them off? Which appliances would unplugging save the most energy?
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Oct 10, 2008, 06:27 AM

Lots of appliances use a very small amount of energy to keep memory or display a clock. I would have to say that the saving would be soooo minimal. Try unplugging everything in the house... turning off the lights.. etc (even the fridge) go check your electrical meter... make sure the wheel is not turning. Now plug in, say, the stove... set the clock. Now go look at the wheel again. It will be moving so slow because its really not using much at all.

I would take a bet that over the course of a year, you would save $5.

Someone with more electrical experience needs to post an answer.. this is just my guess.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 10, 2008, 06:31 AM

I agree, on the other hand, some things its worth unplugging. For example; chargers for portable devices (cell phones etc.) Even when not plugged into the device, these use a small trickly charge.

What I do is I put such things on a power strip with an on/off switch and shut the strip off when not in use.

On the other hand, my TV takes a long time to warm up and loses some settings when unplugged. So even though I have it plugged into a UPS, I leave that on.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2008, 06:53 AM

Also, don't forget that plugged-in devices, while still OFF, consume tiny amounts of electricity. They call it "vampire appliances" where the electricity still goes through it, while being turned off.

As others have said, it's very minimal, probably even less than $5 a year, but I guess yes, you do save.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2008, 07:58 AM

The amount of energy is typically about 4 Watts. Estimating, 4 days is about 100 hrs. 400 days is about 1000 hrs. You pay by the KWH, so in a yesr you might spend $0.15. (No math - just estimating).

Chargers, laptop adapters considerably more.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2008, 12:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Estimating, 4 days is about 100 hrs. 400 days is about 1000 hrs.
    You were right about the "no maths" bit. 1000 hours in over a year?
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2008, 02:40 PM

OK, time for a calculator. Thanks, Capuchin

24 hr/day * 365 days = 8760 hrs in a year

8760 hr * 4 Watts * 1 Kw/1000 W = 35 kWh/yr

@ 15 cents per KWH, electricity use = 35 * 0.15 = $5.25 per year

If you really want to keep track of enercy use on an appliance by appliance basis and the appliance pluggs in, invest in one of the kill-a-watt meters.
    kcguy6935 Posts: 2, Reputation: 4

Jan 14, 2009, 08:09 PM
    There are many variables to answer your question there are some items I would not unplug but many I would. Anything that has standby power, a clock uses energy if it is plugged in. I have a meter called a KILL-A-WATT and what it does is you plug it into the outlet and then you plug an item into it, it will tell you what amount of energy is being used by the item so you can see a clock on a microwave is much like some answers have said and is minimal (2-4 watts)but also that some tv's, computers, dvds, vcrs use as high as 60 watts. With that being the case let me tell you about an example and you see if you are close to them I will even say that my example the family of four buys all energy efficient items and have no big phantom load items. We will say each item they have puts out a meager 5 watts

The family has 4 cell phones with 4 chargers =20W
    Two cordless home phones and the associated answering machine/chargers =10W
    Two TVs =10W
    Two Dvds=10W
    a gaming station (wii,xbox,play station, whatever)=5w
    2 computers =10W
    with a printer and either a router or at least one usb device=10W
    Charging stations for power tools or rechargeable batteries, dustbuster misc =10W
    Beard trimmer that sits by the electric toothbrush=5W
    3 alarm clocks, a clock on the microwave= 20W
    I'll stop here but when you think about this is not only realistic but in some households a very incomplete list, and it is a very low energy profile as you can tell for yourself buy a Kill-a-watt meter plug it in check out those dvds and vcrs some use almost as much energy off as they do on. In my example they are the equivalent of leaving on a 110w light forever, you pay for electricity by the kilowatt/hour in one day the example family wasted 2.64 kw at an inexpensive rate of a dime a kw that is only 26.4cents x 365 days in a year= $96.36 so if you get cheap electricity and you have less items than the example family and if all none of your phantom loads are 5W and not as high as the 60w I have seen you only wasted around $100 dollars. Not to mention if everyone does this now we need to build a new power plant better figure taxpayer money to build that in there.

HERE'S THE EASY ANSWER:

Don't work yourself into a frenzy plugging in and unplugging all your appliances, get a power strip I have one for the kids room they have a TV, dvd, wii gaming system, and a phone charger plugged into it when they aren't using it they flip one switch on the power strip and then none of those items wastes energy. I do the same with most of my electronics with a flip of three switches I save over $100 a year painlessly and feel good about showing my kids we are attempting to waste less.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2009, 12:43 AM

I unplug everything that I can that might possibly be using any energy and also shut off lights immediately that aren't being used for anything. If something operates off a small battery in order to operate a clock or small display, then I don't worry about it.

If it's using electricity, and that electricity is something that I need to pay for, then when it's not in use and not needed for anything, then it's off and/or unplugged.

Thanks!
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2009, 03:31 AM

Kc why did you disagree with me? :confused:
    I didn't mention anything that you critisised me for!
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2009, 09:15 AM

I also agree that Capuchin doesn't deserve a "disagree".

Maybe I should have said 4 Watts per device with a phantom load.

The problem with unplugging things like a VCR, for instance, is that it looses the time. Some systems loose all their information. Some use a supercap to retain their information over a short amount of time. Still other's use a small lithium battery that may be difficult to replace. Computers fall into that category.

My math was bad for estimating. I caught it and corrected it. We all make mistakes sometimes.
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Jan 16, 2009, 09:44 AM

I just avoid it all and leave everything on all the time :)

j/k
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Jan 18, 2009, 09:15 AM
    The answer to that is no, if the on/off switch is a real on/off switch.
    The answer is yes, if the on/off switch is a stand-by switch.
    Another energy saving can be obtained by unplugging unused transformers, like chargers for telephones.
    There is an increasing amount of equipment that has no real on/off switch (radio-tv-dvd-vcr-display units-etc.) Also many computers are never switched off.
    Another feature that draws current continuously is a bell transformer, drawing a small amount of energy. A battery powered bell would be energy saving!
    All these units use small amounts of energy in the stand-by mode, but together the amount adds up, specially as most are drawing energy 24 hours/day.

So yes, unplugging or real switching off unused equipment is saving energy.
    If we all would do that, it would be a considerable saving on the national energy bill.
    There is even some pressure on the electronic industry to reduce all these stand-by modesm and at least install a real on/off switch.
    JohnQpublic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2010, 06:00 AM
    I think we all need to think more critically about constantly unplugging some electronics like TV's or DVD players. The vampire power is there for a reason, to maintain heat in the CPU's or circuit boards in the electronics. All the extra thermal cycling i.e.. Heating and cooling of going from cold circuit board to hot by unplugging will cause premature failure. So you might save a few dollars per year, but then have to replace the electronic device much sooner. Which one is really saving you money, and the environment ? Save $5 per year in electricity or buy a $500 electronic device a year sooner ?
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2010, 07:07 PM

The other day I looked at my electric meter and the dial was whirling around like a merry go round. I was surprised since I was the only person home and no major appliances were running. I went around the house switching off power strips with computer equipment and monitors plugged in (all NOT In use) and then ran out to look at the meter. It slowed down noticeably with each strip (one per teenager and one for the xbox and stereo). My electric bill has been high lately. I just opened the electric bill... and it is $40 less this month.

$40 X 12 is $480, my maths.

Will the computers really all fail prematurely if they are turned off? I have never heard this and would like to see a reference if you happen to have one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unplugging a clutch interlocking switch [ 3 Answers ]

Will unplugging a clutch interlocking switch on an acura integra prevent it from starting.

Unplugging the bathtub [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, can anyone help? We were painting our house and my wife washed the pan and the brushes in the bathtub. Now the bath tub is plugged... we have tried with Drano-gel(twice) and still doesn't work. The water is going down but it takes about an hour :-( not sure what else to do as the paint might...

Unplugging O2 sensor connector [ 2 Answers ]

How do you unplug the electrical connector from an O2 sensor on a 1997 civic DX? Not sure how the clip disengages from the mating connector.

View more questions Search