Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lennyparts Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2008, 08:05 AM
    Tub surround-3 piece install
    I purchased a 3 piece tub/shower surround and replaced the walls with green board,patched all the seams and corners with drywall mud,sanded and ready to install 3 piece unit.
    Installed first wall opposite fixture wall,drew level line all around the top of the rest of the walls.drilled holes for fixtures and went to put tile wall on for glueing and noticed the top of tile wall is 2" shorter from my level line.
    The tub is not level,what can I do besides tearing everything out and staring over, to install back wall correctly?
    Neilcathy67 Posts: 47, Reputation: 3

Oct 9, 2008, 08:22 AM

God made moulding for a reason and this is it. Check and see if there is a waterproof moulding available for the kit, if not I am sure someone makes it. Lowe's or homedepot should have it. If they do not get online and check, Good luck
    lennyparts Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2008, 08:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilcathy67 View Post
    God made moulding for a reason and this is it. Check and see if there is a waterproof moulding available for the kit, if not I am sure someone makes it. Lowes or homedepot should have it. If they do not get online and check, Good luck
    Thanks for the answer,
    Would just like to run this by you and get your feedback,
    What if I were to glue some ceramic tile to the wall above the shorter wall to make up the difference,sort of like a molding,something to match the tile look of the surround?
    Home repair Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Oct 9, 2008, 11:49 AM
    I think I would see if you can remove what you have put up and try and trim the panels somewhere, and "split the difference" on your out of level tub.

I don't think you would be happy with trying to fix something that far out of square.

Start by drawing several level lines on the wall, which will give you some reference points that you see as you tweak the panels. I would always tack the panels in place, until you are satisfied with the fit.

Good Luck

Roger
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 9, 2008, 04:57 PM
    Lennyparts...

When a tub is this out of level about the only thing that really works is to tile the entire tub surround area... this way only the bottom row of tile shows the defect in level.

To save money in this case you could set a cheap tile over the greenboard or you could step it up to professional job and remove greenboard and install cement board. If this was me... I would probably go with the greenboard. You have done so much of the work at this point. If you do this let me know so we can discuss wicking of grenboard and how to prevent it...ok?

Otherwise, I think splitting difference as suggested by Home repair (WELCOME HR.. :) ) is the way to go!

Let us know...

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I remove a one piece bathtub/surround [ 1 Answers ]

How do I remove a one piece bathtub/surround

BATCH files silent install or unassisted install? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, :confused: I have many application's that I install at my place of employment. These applications have been packaged into a .exe, I currently install these apps VIA Batch files as there are many prerequisites required to install before installing the application itself i.e.. Oracle 9 etc....

Trying to find a one piece tub surround to fit a large jet tub [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a home with a large juccuzzi jet tub (measures 73" long, 36" deep, and I can go as high as 78" to my ceiling) . I would like to put in a new tub surround, however, I have talked with rona, home depot, and many renovators in my area and they all are telling me that I can not...

4-piece shower install [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting ready to attempt this for first time with a Kohler/Sterling unit. It does not mention the use of a mud base. Is this needed? Any earlier post here talks about using a rubber material to prevent squeaks. Is green board the type of material to finish the top areas. The...

Preparation to install a 5 piece tub surround [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to intall a tub surround? The green board is already up and primer. There are no instruction to be found. What preparations do I have to do first? Do I have to use mineral sprits on the backing before I apply the adhesive?

View more questions Search