Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bkerhoulas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2008, 07:11 PM
    Upstairs bathtub/shower leaks downstairs
    We have tried everything to repair this.. but every time someone uses the shower in upstairs guest bathroom it leaks downstairs into laundry room. We have tried caulking, replacing shower arm and using teflon tape... etc.
    I am now wondering if it could be diverter valve? There is no problem whem someone takes a bath... only shower. HELP!!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 4, 2008, 05:28 AM
    I am now wondering if it could be diverter valve? There is no problem whem someone takes a bath... only shower.
    Do you have a one handled or three knob tub/shower valve? What brand? To check to see if it's a pressure leak open up the tub access plate behind the drain and check for moisture. If you find some get right back to me. I would also take a hard look at where the shower stream hits the tile wall and where the tub meets the wall. Before you can repair a leak you must first locate its source. Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 4, 2008, 06:01 AM

Make sure you have no open spaces between trim and tile. It could also be your drain.

Do this:
    1. Fill up your shower pan with water and leave it over night. See if it leaked. If not, you eliminated shower pan.
    2. Following day, take garden hose, put it inside shower pan and turn it on. Let it run for 1/2 hour. See if you get a leak. If not, you eliminated drain as a source of the leak.
    3. Now, deal with shower head and pipe between valve and shower head.
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 4, 2008, 09:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    Make sure you have no open spaces between trim and tile. It could also be your drain.

Do this:
    1. Fill up your shower pan with water and leave it over night. See if it leaked. If not, you eliminated shower pan.
    2. Following day, take garden hose, put it inside shower pan and turn it on. Let it run for 1/2 hour. See if you get a leak. If not, you eliminated drain as a source of the leak.
    3. Now, deal with shower head and pipe between valve and shower head.
    Milo,
    Go back and read the original post.
    Upstairs bathtub/shower leaks downstairs
    She has a bathtub, not a shower! Regards, Tom
    tjnelson12345 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2008, 10:18 AM

If it is not the mixer then the problem more than likely is the tub. A hole the size of a pin head can and will cause major water damage below. Does your tub flex when you stand in it?? You can fill the tub with water and check it but may cause more damage below. Ask your plumber (

Tj
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 8, 2008, 10:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Milo,
    Go back and read the original post. She has a bathtub, not a shower! Regards, Tom
    I'll be darn..!

Oct 8, 2008, 10:39 AM

Milo Tub or shower the cure more than likely is the same. You must know this.
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 9, 2008, 06:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tjnelson12345 View Post
    Milo Tub or shower the cure more than likely is the same. You must know this.
    Perhaps! But we like to focus on the correct fixture when we answer. It makes the asker uneasy when they complain about a clogged sink and we tell them how to fix a toilet. But thanks for the observation. Tom

Oct 9, 2008, 07:08 AM

Speedball1 I do not disagree yet People call me when they have a crack on a ledge that is dripping through to floor below. I just want to cover all the basis. You know measure twice cut once. I have read your other replies and they are very good.

Kudos to you

Tj

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Downstairs toilet overflows when upstairs shower on? [ 5 Answers ]

We have a bi-level home. After my shower today I went downstairs and heard water in the bathroom and realized the toilet overflowed. Never use this bathroom so I new it couldn't have suddenly been the toilet. My husband realized the toilet is overflowing when the shower is on upstairs. What...

Raw sewage backup in downstairs shower when upstairs toilet is flushed [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a split level home (tri-level). When we flush the toilet on the top level, raw sewage backs up (belches up) into the shower on the bottom level. No other drains, toilets, etc, are affected. The washing machine, which is within 2 feet of the shower drains properly without any backup into...

When I take a shower upstairs, downatairs leaks [ 4 Answers ]

When I took a shower this morning, My wife noticed that downstairs was leaking from the ceiling. What causes this?

Bathtub leaking to downstairs during shower [ 1 Answers ]

I own apartments and have had problems for years with tub during shower leaking to downstairs. We have changed gaskets in overflow and drain, recaulked around outside of tub, nothing had helped. A past employee used a toilet to tank gasket to fix the problem in the tub. Problem is I don't know...

Downstairs Leak from Upstairs Shower [ 1 Answers ]

Our upstairs shower is apparently leaking into our dining room directly below it. It looks like the previous homeowner attempted to fix the problem as there is a hole in the dining room celing that was filled with plaster. I'm sure it's the shower, because it only leaks when the shower is on. ...

View more questions Search