Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xliu63 Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Watts Premier R.O system installation
    Hi, experts,

I just purchased Watts Premier R.O system. After installed, I saw not much water coming out of faucet and there is steady flow to the black tubing to the sink. I just started the system, I think there is no pressure in the tank.

My question is what is the properly functioning system like? Does water always discharge from the black tubing? What is the function of that red line?

Thanks for your help.

Lost in FL
    albinfla Posts: 310, Reputation: 35

Oct 5, 2008, 11:14 AM

What is the model number of the unit you bought?

I'll need to look at the piping diagram to give you accurate answers. But, I will tell you that almost always the black tubing is the drain tubing. RO wastes at least as much water as it makes for good water. So, when the tank is needing water, the RO is making it. About 50-70% of the water that is going through the unit is reject water which goes down the drain. You should avoid using the water out of the little faucet until morning. Also, if it is feeding your icemaker, you should shut it off by lifting the lever until tomorrow. In the morning, open the little faucet until it empties and only a tiny bit of water, to no water comes out of the little faucet. You always have to waste the first tank after installing a new membrane. The reason is that the membrane comes from the factory with a preservative in it.

Now, the reason I need to know the model is due to your question about the red line.

Let us know.
    Al
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 5, 2008, 12:53 PM

R.O. system takes about 24 hours before it produces 1st gallon of filtrated water. Therefore, tank will not be pressurized for at least one day. Moreover, for each 1 gallon of filtrated water, R.O system uses about 10 gallons of water. That's the "steady flow" of water you see going down the drain.

Some say, R.O. is inefficient system because of just that. Wait till tomorrow and your system will than function properly.

Oct 5, 2008, 05:16 PM
    Thank so much.

The model number is PUR-TEK
    Model RO-TEM-5SV-W1

It is a 5 stage reverse osmosis system.

Oct 5, 2008, 06:16 PM
    The black tube comes out of the RO membrane housing on the end that has 2 tubes on it. It comes out of the one that is off to the side- not the center one. It goes up to a drain line flow restrictor that you place in the line. Then, you put another piece of black tubing on it long enough to extend up to the red line. You use the in-line connector to connect the black line to the red line.

Then, the black line coming out of the faucet goes to the drain. The attached color-coded diagram should help.

If you don't attach the red hose to anything it will leak water all under your sink!

I couldn't get specs on it since their web-site is crawling at a snails-pace. But, it should fill up the tank overnight. Most under-sink RO's are at least 30 gpd nowadays. In theory, it should fill a 2 gallon tank in about 3 hours. But, they rarely produce the amount of water that the manufacturer says they will. I always tell my customers to empty the first tank after about 12 hours.

Feel free to ask any other questions. We'll be glad to help.
    Al

watts ro diagram.pdf The link to the manual is http://www.wattspremier.com/premier/..._Universal.pdf

Oct 6, 2008, 04:18 PM
    Thanks all the professionals for their professional answers.

After thinking about the issue, I left the water run and about 4 hours later, the blackline flow stopped, and the tank was full. So the principle is that the tank pressurized when filled and triggered the valve to close up the flow to the black line. When there is no active production of R.O water, there should be no water flow.

Oct 6, 2008, 04:46 PM

Did you get the red line figured out okay?

It ran 4 hours to fill 2 gallons. That means that you'll probably get about 12 gallons per day production out of it.

You are correct. After it is done producing water and the tank is full, it should no longer be allowing water to go down the drain.

They never produce what they are advertised to produce. Usually I tell customers that they can expect about 1/2 of advertised production. But, 12 gallons per day will probably be enough for most families.

Glad we were able to help.
    Al

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grey's Anatomy Season 5 Premier [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a link to watch the full episode of Grey's Anatomy Season 5 Premier parts 1 & 2? All I can find are links to previews and others that require downloading applications or enrolling in a program. I've watched other TV shows on-line in the past that I missed when aired on TV,...

Issues with New 16 SEER AC System Installation [ 3 Answers ]

My old Air Conditioning system died. A local HVAC contractor installed a new furnace and 16 SEER 410 AC system. The fan seems to run constantly, but it seems to be cooling the house okay. I’ve paid them only 50% so far. They’re calling me wanting payment, but I’m telling them they still...

Carrier Infinity System - installation cost [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning to replace my unreliable AC system with a Carrier Infinity system, furnace (120k BTU), AC/heat pump up to 19 SEER, 4 zone manifold with modulating dampers, 4 zone controller, fan powered humidification, high eff. Filteration, UV lights. The overall installation cost is quoted as $18k....

Email spam for "Premier" (Premier Pharmacy) [ 2 Answers ]

Is it just me?? I'm getting about 20 spam emails per hour for it. Over the years, I see spam subject lines coming in groups, but NEVER this much. Wow!

View more questions Search