Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zula Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2006, 02:11 PM
    Distemper
    What else should I do with a puppy that was diagnosed with distemper (I found it in the streets) went to the vet. And he gave it the shots but all of the sudden this puppy had diarrhea and difficulty standing up straight I went again to the Vet. And was diagnosed with distemper. Is she going to die?:confused:
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Jun 18, 2006, 02:24 PM
    Canine distemper is a contagious, incurable, often fatal, multisystemic viral disease that affects the respiratory, gastrointestinal, and central nervous systems. Distemper is caused by the canine distemper virus.Young puppies between 3 and 6 months old are most susceptible to infection and disease and are more likely to die than infected adults. Nonimmunized older dogs are also highly susceptible to infection and disease. Nonimmunized dogs that have contact with other nonimmunized dogs or with wild carnivores have a greater risk of developing canine distemper. Sadly yes most likely she will die, It's best to put her down and not let her suffer. Im so sorry:(
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 18, 2006, 04:46 PM
    So sorry to hear about this Zula, but it's best that the poor thing does not suffer any longer. Unfortunately, most young animals found in the streets can really cause your heart to break, because someone warm like you was not there to care.

valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 18, 2006, 05:48 PM
    Offers my condolences too.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 18, 2006, 08:04 PM
    I would like to offer my condolences also, as I was a mother of a distemper pup. Watching Micky go through "end stage" distemper was one of the worst things my daughter and I have witnessed.

Yes, I agree with all others, do not let this little one suffer. Please put her to sleep.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2006, 08:43 AM
    Hi,
    I do agree with all your answers before mine.
    Putting it to sleep would be the best.
    I have loved dogs over half a century now, still do. It breaks my heart to hear about things like this.
    I do wish you the best, and if you do want a puppy, please go to an Animal Shelter, or Rescue Shelter, and get one. Don't buy one in a pet shop. There are too, too many dogs and cats who need homes in these Shelters.
    Best wishes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Distemper shots for dogs [ 2 Answers ]

I read on a holistic website that shots are not very healthy for dogs, that most shots are good for several yrs, and that the only shot required by law every 3 yrs is a rabies shot. So I just skipped the shots for my shit-zu this year. My neighbor's german shepherd just died of distemper, because...

Distemper Shots [ 9 Answers ]

I am a new puppy owner & going through the series of shots needed. My pekingese has gotten 1 distemper shot & her rabies shot (on separate days); however, after her distemper she was crazy. It appeared as if she forgot her name & she barly walked around. She was rolling everywhere and flipping...

View more questions Search