Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

Sep 28, 2008, 10:07 AM
    My dog had her puppies, but a little confused.
    My dog had her puppies yesterday late afternoon. She has had four puppies. I promise I'll put pictures later today. The thing is, with the first two I had to help her deliver them. She didn't know what to do and would not break the sac once the puppy was out. I gave her a few minutes to try to break it, but she didn't even try, she just kept licking her vulva so I broke the sac for her. Then after that she took off running around the bathroom dragging the puppy around and stepping on her. The puppy kept crying out so I chased after her and by the time I was able to calm her down and see the puppy, the cord looked as if it had been ripped or something, it must've happened while she was running. So I grabbed the puppy and rubbed it, kept it warm, and took care of it. The mom kept licking her vulva like crazy. I kept waiting for a placenta but never saw one, but she kept licking and licking so I couldn't see. I kept trying to look but she wouldn't let me, she kept cleaning herself up. There was a tiny bit of blood, not much at all. After she finished cleaning herself I didn't notice any discharge at all. The same thing happened with the second puppy. She took off, I had to go after her again, the umbilical cord was barely holding by a strand (half of it was already cut by the mom) and then she bit off the last part of the strand. Then she took about an hour and a half rest. I walked out to get something to drink, walked in and there she had another puppy. She already bit the cord off and was cleaning herself again while the puppy was trying to nurse. Again I didn't see any placenta. Then I stepped out to get some more towels out of the dryer, I got back in, there is the fourth puppy. Already out, umbilical cord cut, nursing, and mom was cleaning herself again. Didn't see that placenta either. I kept checking for any placenta or discharge when she was finished cleaning herself after each puppy, but she wouldn't let me check and when I was able to finally check her, I didn't see anything, not even discharge.

I called the emergency vet hospital but they basically told me if she doesn't have a fever and is acting normal then just wait and see if anything happens.

After each puppy there was some blood, she got blood on her face after cleaning herself and there were a few spots on the puppy pads she was on, but after about 5-10 minutes of cleaning herself, the bleeding stopped. Now since it's the next morning, she has gone to the bathroom twice and has been taking very good care of her babies. I am just wondering, is it normal for her to not have any discharge? Does that mean all placentas came out and she just ate them right away? She keeps panting a little from time to time but doesn't seem to be having contractions at all. The room she is in is warm and she has long hair so that could be why, but I just want to know if some panting is normal also. Is no discharge normal? She did a very goodjob cleaning up all the mess, I'm just really worried since I didn't see even one placenta out of the four puppies. I'll post some pictures in a little while. A dark brown one, light brown one, a black one, and a white one. Two boys two girls. All healthy and doing perfect.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2008, 10:18 AM

I helped my very large German Shepard female deliver 9 puppies. This was all done in a very tiny bathroom setting. I was unable to leave the room so I was there the entire time. Yes, she did ingest the placenta very quickly. You just missed this part of the movie. Would suggest you let some fresh air into the room where she is now and cool it off as her panting is normal for being in a hot room.

Please post the pics when you can. I love teeny tiny puppies. Oh, you never said what breed she is. Congratulations on a job well done, foster puppy momma! In helping your female deliver healthy puppies!
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Sep 28, 2008, 11:37 AM

In another post she told us it's a little Jack Russell, like Frazier's dad's dog Eddie.
    It's entirely up to her if she eats the placenta, sometimes if the pup has a bowel movement during delivery it will be yellowish looking and she won't want to.
    Think of the pups like little peas in a pod, each one is in there attached to the afterbirth, on a little stalk, the umbilical cord. Each pea is enclosed in it's own little water sac, each pea pops out then finally the afterbirth at the end which is attached to the pregnant uterus with a suction cup type of arrangement. It sounds as though everything is fine except for your nerves of course. You need nerves of steel to be a parent!

Sep 28, 2008, 12:31 PM

Wild and blue, I tried to rate your answer, but it said I need to spread on reputation first. I did not see one placenta out of the four puppies. Yeah my nerves are going crazy right now. Even though she didn't really cut the umbilical cords the right way at first and they ripped before the placenta was delivered, would the placenta still come out?

Sep 28, 2008, 12:32 PM
    Oh how do I post a picture?

Sep 28, 2008, 12:38 PM

If she's feeding and taking care of her pups, just relax. Maybe she just ate it already. Also don't worry about the umbilical cords what you described is normal. People get all hyper about cutting the cords and tying them off because they see it on TV shows. They usually just break or get nipped like you describe. If you mess around with them you could cause the babvy an infection. But you should clamp off the cord with a piece of sterile cord if it continues to drip blood after the birth, if the pup is a bleeder. Otherwise leave it alone, it will dry up like a dead worm on a sidewalk and just fall off
    The contractions that expelled each pup also expel the afterbirth from the uterus. Only in very rare cases will they not, don't worry about it unless she seems unwell or running a fever/sick etc.

Sep 28, 2008, 12:41 PM

Wildandblue is not a computer expert. Maybe try asking that q in another post on the big board?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2008, 02:24 PM

I have a Jack Russell female now. She's 7 as of Sept 4th. All white with a brown spot around her left eye and one brown spot on her right shoulder. Short smooth haired.

I'm waiting for the pics. Can hardly wait to see the little darlings.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 28, 2008, 02:49 PM

Like the others have said, unless Momma appears to be running a temperature, or gets sick, or has severe behavioural changes (other than needing her rest so she can take care of her litter) everything should be fine. Just keep an eye on her.

You do know that if you act nervous, and are unsure around Momma, that your energy passes right to her. She will pick up on your nervous energy, and she will react to that. Just try and stay calm. Help her if she really needs it, but her instincts are going to tell her what to do.

Can't wait to see the pics! :)

If you go to "help" it will tell you how to post pics. All I really know is that you have to go to "go advanced", and then you usually have to re-size. If you have probs, go into the computer forum, and I'm sure someone there can walk you through it.

Sep 28, 2008, 03:02 PM
    Here are the pictures. Let me know if you cannot view them and I'll try again.

The little white puppy didn't want his picture taken. I kept trying but he kept moving and making the picture blurry. These are the three of the other ones and one of the mom. Excuse her messy hair. I haven't groomed her since she got pregnant because it stresses her out too much.

Name:  0928081540.jpg
Views: 2777
Size:  10.5 KB

Name:  0928081541.jpg
Views: 2749
Size:  7.4 KB

Name:  0928081541a.jpg
Views: 2751
Size:  6.9 KB

Name:  0928081541b.jpg
Views: 2744
Size:  7.6 KB

Name:  0928081544.jpg
Views: 2775
Size:  11.6 KB

Sep 28, 2008, 03:10 PM

The male she mated with was brown with semi wavy hair, black face and black ears.

Sep 28, 2008, 03:21 PM
    I got the white one to take a picture. Name:  0928081615.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  8.1 KB

Oct 2, 2008, 11:59 AM

Gorgeous but be careful later on when the babies eyes are open because a flashbulb could hurt them then

Also maybe make a low side on the cardboard box it looks like she is in, just enough to keep pups in--her climbing in and out while she is nursing could cause her to injure herself while she is producing milk
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 2, 2008, 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wildandblue View Post
    Gorgeous but be careful later on when the babies eyes are open because a flashbulb could hurt them then

Also maybe make a low side on the cardboard box it looks like she is in, just enough to keep pups in--her climbing in and out while she is nursing could cause her to injure herself while she is producing milk
    Can I ask where you see this "cardboard box?" Momma dog will know how to take care of the babies by instinct, and I don't see any harm coming to her whether they are in a cardboard box or not. :)

Oct 2, 2008, 01:35 PM

The picture of the white momma dog with the pups on page one seems to be in a cardboard box.
    I have no idea how old Becca is I'd rather tiptoe around the description in this way rather than risk sending sex ed info to a minor by accident.
    But any nursing mother will tell you that the mammaries are very tender during lactation and banging them around by climbing over a tall box can cause irritation, mastitis as we dairymen refer to it.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 2, 2008, 01:42 PM

I do understand what you are talking about now, and yes I agree. I looked through the pics before responding earlier, and I guess I didn't look closely enough. I was looking more at the pups, and didn't see the cardboard box in the pic you mentioned.

Thanks! :)

Oct 3, 2008, 08:40 AM

Yes I made her whelping box with a very low side for the mom. So far they've been doing just fine in the whelping box. She hasn't hurt them or herself. And no I am not a minor, I actually have a son and am pregnant with number 2, so I know how the mammaries are very tender. I made sure her side of the box was more then low enough.
    Lately she hasn't wanted to stay with her puppies. She will try to stay away from them and I have to try to get her to go and nurse them at times. I woke up this morning and she hid one puppy.

Oct 3, 2008, 08:43 AM
    All day today she has been trying to hide that same puppy, she never goes for any of the other puppies. Do you think she is slowly abandoning them? THree times today and a few times yesterday I've had to try to get her to nurse them, if I didn't put her to nurse she probably wouldn't have. Any ideas why she's acting like this?

Oct 3, 2008, 11:23 AM

Is it the white pup you thought was acting funny? She could for some unknown reason be taking a dislike to it. A new mother with her first litter, she could just be extra nervous. Some dogs just have stronger instincts for what we call mothering ability than others. Just try to keep her undistracted, calm and quiet. If the pups cry constantly like they have no food in their stomachs you would need to worry, get the vet's advice about maybe bottle feeding instead of momma.
    Then also some feel that a pet animal, one that is used to being the center of attention and adored, grew up an only dog with no siblings etc... can have pups with an attachment disorder (autisim) and this is pretty serious. The reason some people give for stay at home mothering being better than daycare for a child, that the mother learns how to mother from watching her own mother.
    jsaly Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2008, 03:28 AM

Beautiful pics. My shihtzu has had 3 litters and my rottweiler has had one litter. With my dogs their first litters were very confusing for them as they didn't know what to do. My rotty was the most confuses as I had to deliver 9 out of 13 pups having to break the sacks and 4 of which I had to pull out. All she wanted to do was clean up the mess. The placenta quickly can out not long after the pup was born in in a matter of seconds it was gone in about one - two mouthfuls. I wouldn't worry. I think you left the room at the right time as it is quite a disgusting thing to watch and made me feel sick each time. My shihtzu cut the cords on her first litter of pups right back to the stomachs on 2 of them within a couple of days they dried up and both pups lived I think they will be fine as the mother will take care of them. And there was no discharge after all pups were born with either dog. Just make sure all the pups stay close to the mother at all times and are getting enough milk from her. In no time they will be ready to go. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog just had puppies [ 6 Answers ]

My dog just had had 7 puppies. She is a lab,pit mix. The father is a Stafford pit. The puppies are 4 weeks old and we are going to start getting them eating puppy chow that's been watered down. But she has been losing weight. A lot of weight. Its kind of scary. She's losing weight and she's looking...

Puppies [ 1 Answers ]

I can't tell if my dog is pregnant or not does anyone have any tips

Puppies [ 6 Answers ]

my sister and I have been wanting a little maltese or a yorkie for about 2 months, and my mom doesn't care if we get one, but we r trying to convince him into getting a dog. does anyone know any good tips on how to convince parents into getting a dog?? also, does anyone know where to find...

About: Puppies [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know the exact stages of puppies up to 6 months? I need to know because I'm not sure if my pup is developing properly Help needed ASAP Thank you

Puppies [ 1 Answers ]

My pug had two puppies they are now 8 1/2 weeks old. One just went to her new home today now the other puppy is acting kind of sad is it normal?

View more questions Search