Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ktb5000 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2008, 03:27 PM
    Bathroom sink drains, toilet and bathtub don't
    Yesterday I heard gurgling in the toilet when the shower was on and when the bathroom sink was draining. I did a load of wash this morning and now the toilet bowl is not draing and water is backing up into the bathtub. The bathroom sink still drains. Can this be fixed with drain cleaner or should I skip that step and call a plumber?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 28, 2008, 05:02 PM

While your tub is backed up, run water in the sink and see if the water level rises in the tub. Sounds like you need to call a plumber and have your sewer augered. Or you can do it yourself. Just rent a power auger ( the big one) and either go in from a cleanout, minimum size three inch, or pull a toilet and auger from there. But I do recommend a pro. They will make it a much quicker job, and if they are true pros, they will clean up the mess afterwords. It can be a messy job.

Sep 28, 2008, 05:11 PM
    Never mind, thanks. I have my answer.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 28, 2008, 05:20 PM

Just out of curiosity, what was the answer?

Sep 28, 2008, 07:42 PM

My question was whether drain cleaners might work or whether I should just call a plumber.

I'm not going down the drain cleaner route, and have instead purchased a plumber's snake and am using it on the air vent. It's dark now, so will have another go at it in the morning.

If still no luck, will call a pro.

Thanks for your response! I hope the solution stops short of messing with the sewer, but at least I'm aware that might be a necessary.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 29, 2008, 06:40 AM
    I'm not going down the drain cleaner route, and have instead purchased a plumber's snake and am using it on the air vent. It's dark now, so will have another go at it in the morning.
    Good choice! In my opinion snaking is the only sure way to clear a clog. But before you go up on the roof to snake the vent try this. Snake the tub from the overflow plate first,(see image). Unscrew and remove the overflow plate,(The one with the drain lever) and pull out the tub stopper. You now have a clear shot at the trap. The way you were going in through the drain it ran you square into a tee that you can't get around. Now feed the cable( 1/4" best or 3/8" with a small tip. You can rent a Ridgid K50 sink cable.) About 2' down you will run into the bend of the trap. Crank and push at the same time to work around it. Your blockage will be found in the lateral pipe going to the stack. You shouldn't have to put out more then 10 or 12 feet. I have found tub and shower clogs to be mostly hair and the worm should auger into it and pull it back. Hope this helps and thank you for rating my reply. TOM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New bathroom sink backs up halfway, quickly drains, repeat.. no overflow in this sink [ 2 Answers ]

I just very proudly finished installing our new second floor bathroom sink drains. Two different vanities, two different walls. I ran the water steadily in both of them for 10 minutes. One works fine. The other backs up about halfway up the bowl, then suddenly quickly drains everything and...

Shower,toilet and sink drains rough in bathroom [ 10 Answers ]

I have the rough ins done on a concrete basement floor for a toilet,shower and sink and wanted to ask/confirm before starting the work. Toilet drain and supply water. A 4" lead pipe sticks out about 10" off the concrete floor, concrete is all around. Is this OK to cut the lead pipe and leave...

Washer drains and water comes up in the bathroom sink. [ 4 Answers ]

Our washer is in the kitchen and when it drains, it fills the bathroom sink before it goes into the main drain. We have always had this problem. I'm about to buy a new laundry center that has a front load washer that uses less water and may output the water at a slower rate. How can I fix this...

New bathroom sink drains slowly [ 3 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement. Shower is done, toilet is done, just installed vanity, sink, faucet, and drain. But the sink drains really slow when there is a small amount of water in the sink. But if I fill up the sink fairly full, then open the stopper, the water drains very quickly. Two...

Bathroom sink Drains into #2 sink [ 3 Answers ]

I have bathroom sink drain problems. The master bath sink drains into the shared bathroom sink which is located directly on the other side of the wall. I recently remodeled the bathroom and the only difference in the plumbling is a horizontal length of pipe I added to accommodate the new sink...

View more questions Search