Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leemontg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2008, 02:07 PM
    Gfci receptacles
    Is it possible to install two GfCI Breakers on 3 Wire circuit with a shared neutral. I need to protect the normal receptacles downstream from the GFCI breakers
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 27, 2008, 02:20 PM
    A GFCI breaker protects everything on that circuit. Do you mean GFI outlets?
    GFI outlets can be wired to protect themselves only or themselves and everything down stream.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Sep 27, 2008, 02:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by leemontg View Post
    is it possible to install two GfCI Breakers on 3 Wire circuit with a shared neutral.
    Absolutely NOT.

You must use a two-pole GFI breaker for this.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2008, 02:56 PM

Stanforty, couldn't they use a 2 pole breaker and where the 2 circuits split, use GFI Recepticles at the start of each circuit, and each have their own neutral from there.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Sep 27, 2008, 04:41 PM
    Oh definitely.
    I just answered the question as it was asked. There are several other options.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFCI and grounded receptacles [ 2 Answers ]

My home has numerous non-grounded receptacles (2-wire, no ground). Is there such a thing as a whole house GFCI that would make the house safer allowing the convenient use of grounded (3-prong) receptacles? Also, I thought I read somewhere that if a GFCI is placed as the first receptacle that...

30amp GFCI to 50amp GFCI [ 1 Answers ]

I have a square D panel box with 200 amp service coming into the house. I have a square D 30 amp double pole gfci breaker that was put in last year for a hot tub. I am now getting a new hot tub, and it requires a 50amp gfci breaker. The 30amp currently in place says type/tipo HOM. It is...

When adding a GFCI disconnect for hottub, should I replace GFCI in service panel? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a hottub now but without a disconnect. Its simply a 6/3-50 amp wire that runs from the hottub to a 50amp GFCI inside the house main service panel. I want to install a disconnect 5-10 feet from the hottub. I bought a disconnect box that already has a GFCI inside of it. Should I have bought...

Can a hood be on the same 20A circuit with already 2 duplex GFCI receptacles [ 3 Answers ]

In my kitchen I have 2 duplex GFCI receptacles above the countertop on one 20A circuit. I cannot pull an extra wire through the existing conduit so would like to hook up the hood and the range (all gas but needs power for the electronics) on that same circuit. Does the NEC 2005 code allow for...

15A receptacles on 12/2 GFCI Circuit [ 5 Answers ]

I was just looking at some of the wiring that was done in my house when it was built in 2003. I have one GFCI Circuit that has 5 receptacles on it. On this, it is wired all with 12/2 to the garage first, where the receptacle is the GFI, then it runs 3 outdoor receptacles, and 1 in the basement. ...

View more questions Search