Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bjjoesports Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2006, 09:35 AM
    Water line popping
    I have just replaced all the 'guts' in the toilet. Now, after flushing the toilet, the water begins to refill and when the float valve reaches the top and the water refilling process stops, immediately there is a 'popping' sound coming from my refridgerator/ice maker. What could this be?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 11, 2006, 01:06 PM
    I would say this is a appliance problem except for the fact that it started right after you installed a ballcock. When you installed the ballcock did you shut the water off at the angle stop or did you have to shut the entire house down? Any other weird noises coming out of the water system? Like a noise when you shut off a faucet? Let me know. Regards. Tom
    bjjoesports Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2006, 04:35 PM
    I shut off the water at the toilet site only. When I turn on and off any other faucets or showerheads, this sound does not occur. In fact, when I flush our toilet in our other bathroom closest to the kitchen and main water line, this sound also does not occur. This sound continues to only occur when I flush the toilet and it refills (in the toilet which I replaced the guts on which is also furthest from the main water line). I was also considering this might be an appliance problem as the same sound occurs in the icemaker when I finish filling a cup of water out of the door in the refrigerator. Thanks for your reply. Any additional help is appreciated.
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jun 11, 2006, 05:55 PM
    Possibly air got into the line? Bleed the ice maker water line to the fridge.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2006, 09:50 PM
    bjjoesports There is a possibility that when you turned off the stop to the commode supply it lossened the washer on the end of the stem of the cut off. I would flush the commode and as the noise started I would turn the supply stop to see if it had any effect on the noise
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 12, 2006, 05:47 AM
    " I was also considering this might be an appliance problem as the same sound occurs in the icemaker when I finish filling a cup of water out of the door in the refrigerator"

This would seem to remove the toilet from the equation as it's shut off and not filling when you draw a glass of water. The reason I asked where you shut the water off at was if you shut the water off at the house stop it would be possible for the line to drain back allowing air to enter the icemaker supply line. I don't think that's the case, but, if it is then all you have to do is wait till the air works out of the line. But It's begaining to look more and more like your icemaker "chatter" is caused internally. Regards, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot Water at Refrigerator Water line? [ 60 Answers ]

We recently moved into a 10 year old home and purchased a new refrigerator with a water filter and ice maker, only to find that when we hooked it up to the single water line behind the fridge, it dispenses hot water. I don't think the line has been used before now and was wondering if anyone has...

Noise in water line [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new pressure reducer in my house. Now there is a hum or low whistle whenever I flush the toilet or draw water in the bathtub. I have two toilets and it happens with both. Prior to replacing the valve the water pressure was excessive and caused the toilets to rum constantly....

Water line [ 1 Answers ]

My water line in my house all of a sudden started making a whistling noise it does not do it all the time I heard only the toilet and the washer doing it not the sinks:

Air in water line? [ 0 Answers ]

I am the same person with the broken toilet flanges... In the last couple of days we have noticed a problem when we turn on a faucet, or shower, the water has a burst of pressure, sounds like a rush of air mixed with the water. It last for a couple of seconds and then the water flows normally....

Replaced Main Water Line, Now Shower Line Is Clogged [ 3 Answers ]

We had a leak, so we had the water line and sewage line from the house to the street replaced. Now we have no water in the shower. Some debris most have clogged up the line coming into the shower. All the other lines are fine. My Dad is somewhat of a handyman and wants to fix the problem...

View more questions Search