Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    riffraff1967 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2004, 09:26 AM
    Muddy back yard
    Hi - my backyard drops down about 6 feet, into a valley (shared by all neighbors). This time of the year, as the snow melts, my lower backyard becomes a mud bath, and my dogs cannot go out without needing a shower every time. I have two questions:

1. Short-term - What can I do right now to keep the dogs from getting all muddy - would something like hay work?

2. Long-term - I probably need to raise my yard a bit, and get some really tough turf growing - any ideas/opinions?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2004, 01:39 PM
    Re: Muddy back yard
    This is a tough problem that I am fighting too. For now, scatter some straw or hay. It does help quite a bit.

I hate the stuff, but if the area is sunny, the tall fescue might survive. Try to use fill with a fairly sand or even gravel content so it won't stay as soft. Make sure there is some top soil. It is much easier to grow grass on good ground. I am fighting shade, dogs, and poor soil.

You can give up and scatter pea gravel. The trouble is that the dogs will pound it down into the mud in a few years and you will need to replace it.
    Lisa Stankus Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2008, 12:38 PM

I see that this is a fairly old question but as a new homeowner the problem of mud and dogs is very much alive! If anyone reads this perhaps you can offer me a suggestion for the same issue. The mud in the unfinished backyard (all dirt) is going to cause a problem with our two dogs very very soon. Any suggestions on how you handled this issue? Our # 1 restriction is Cash so please do not suggest to hire landscapers and put in a backyard! Thanks in advance!:p
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 23, 2008, 01:21 PM
    Depends a bit on where you live but a heavy mix of both annual and perenial grass seed can be raked into loose soil and start growing in 7-10 days. If you have a valley to contend with you may need to give us more details.
    Lisa Stankus Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2008, 02:46 PM

Thank you for your quick response. I live in Northern CA, Concord. I forgot to mention that I have huge trees, mostly the neighbors that make it pretty shady all day long so not sure if grass is going to grow but if there is a shady variety that could work for a part of the backyard. Drought conditions prevent me from putting in more than just a bit of grass. Which is cheaper/better pea gravel, rocks or mulch in your opinion?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 23, 2008, 03:14 PM
    Material costs vary a great deal across the country so I'd suggest you call around. Pea gravel is not a good mix for your dogs unless its sveral inches deep. 1/2" of pea gravel is like ball bearing for my guys. From what I recall it may be tough to get much to grow in your area this time of the year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Yard Moles [ 6 Answers ]

I have a BIG problem with yard moles. I would like to have any advise. I cannot afford all the "stuff" like stakes and traps. I was wondering if anyone has any "home remendies" to get rid of these. My neighbor also has them very mad. Sue

Dead in the Yard [ 4 Answers ]

How do I check to see if I am getting juice to the spark plug?

Proper way to fill in hole in back yard [ 2 Answers ]

In Rear corner of backyard there is a 2 foot wide by 3 foot deep hole. This is probably caused by drainage to the lowest part of the yard as it slopes that way. What is a good temporary fix until next spring or later? What kind of kind of fill is appropriate and how should it be ...

Yard full of weeds [ 1 Answers ]

?? Taking advice from the radio, I sprayed a mix of soap and water on grass to kill weeds. Dumb! It killed all my grass and the weeds took over the complete yard. What should I do to get the grass growing again? Mid-Florida location.

View more questions Search