Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2008, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stinawords View Post
    Are you pregnant right now or not? Because if you are then his insurance won't cover you because pretty much all insurance policies that cover maternaty make you be on the plan for at least a year before becomming pregnant.
    Actually, when I was pregnant with my daughter I was put on his health insurance as soon as I found out I was pregnant. I know his premiums went up but I still was added. It depends on the health insurance,like you stated, because everyone has their own policies.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by liz28 View Post
    Actually, when I was pregnant with my daughter I was put on his health insurance as soon as I found out I was pregnant. I know his premiums went up but I still was added. It depends on the health insurance,like you stated, because everyone has their own policies.

All companies must be different - just looked at my policy and it doesn't cover pre existing for a year and pregnancy is considered to be pre existing. Go figure.
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2008, 12:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    All companies must be different - just looked at my policy and it doesn't cover pre existing for a year and pregnancy is considered to be pre existing. Go figure.
    I worked in the medical field for a long time and it depends on the health insurance. For example, you will have the most luck with obtaining a new insurance plan without a big hassle through group health insurance. So long as the insurance plan includes maternity coverage, she can be added and have her maternity costs covered due to the federal law known as HIPAA, or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. On the other hand, if he has an individual health insurance plan, HIPAA is not a factor and he may have to pay extra money in order to have the pregnancy costs covered under the new insurance. Also, some insurances takes several months to add. Anyway, being that she is pregnant she can get health insurance through medicaid with no problem. They have a program to actually help pregnant women get health insurance asap. Unsure if that is available in Indiana.
    traceyrco Posts: 62, Reputation: -5
    -

Sep 22, 2008, 12:22 PM
    Your parents can get grandparents rights in most states and that means they get visitation too. So even if you don't get along with mom and dad - they can still have a relationship with your children.

Let's hope this "if" turns out to be negative. Your parents can also in many states have this guy arrested whether you had consensual sex or not - how long have you been having sex with this guy? What's the age of consent in Indiana? I know of a case where the young lady 16 years old married the older man and they still got a conviction on him for underage sex - even with the couple having had a baby. Now he has to register as a sex offender every where he goes.

You have to question a 25 year old guy that wants to date a girl 8 - 9 years younger and still in high school... he could be a predator or one in the making and should you someday have a daughter - she could be at risk down the road. Please listen to your mom - in 3 to 4 years I guarantee you'll be thanking her for saving you a ton of grief.
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2008, 12:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by traceyrco View Post
    Your parents can get grandparents rights in most states and that means they get visitation too. So even if you don't get along with mom and dad - they can still have a relationship with your children.

Let's hope this "if" turns out to be negative. Your parents can also in many states have this guy arrested whether you had consensual sex or not - how long have you been having sex with this guy? What's the age of consent in Indiana? I know of a case where the young lady 16 years old married the older man and they still got a conviction on him for underage sex - even with the couple having had a baby. Now he has to register as a sex offender every where he goes.

You have to question a 25 year old guy that wants to date a girl 8 - 9 years younger and still in high school.... he could be a predator or one in the making and should you someday have a daughter - she could be at risk down the road. Please listen to your mom - in 3 to 4 years I guarantee you'll be thanking her for saving you a ton of grief.

I don't think grandparents' rights exist in "most States." I researched this once before, State by State. I'll try to find it and post it again. The Supreme Court has ruled that grandparent visitation over the wishes of the parents is unconstitutional as it undermines the ability of the parents to parent to the best of their ability, unimpeded.

Do you have a list of the States that recognize grandparent rights.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2008, 01:54 PM

Indiana does have grandparents rights (not sure how long ago they were implemented). We also have medicaid to cover uninsured pregnancies if the income is low enough (her being so young I have no doubt about her being covered through medicaid).
    traceyrco Posts: 62, Reputation: -5
    -

Sep 22, 2008, 02:16 PM
    JudyKayTee - you need to look at what the Supreme court ruled on again. It did not take away the rights of the grandparent's visitation - it was another argument regarding full custody or something.

Medicaid will cover the bills and then turn around and bill the biological father - that's how it is in Texas. The state decided these guy's that run around getting women pregnant and the women knowing they'll get free medical care needed to end. I think they should have to cover the medical expenses. Lord knows getting the child support later can be difficult to impossible.
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2008, 02:21 PM

She may be eligible to get coverage through teen cap through medicaid. This is designed for pregnant teens. Then once the baby is born they'll both get coverage.
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2008, 02:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stinawords View Post
    Indiana does have grandparents rights (not sure how long ago they were implemented). We also have medicaid to cover uninsured pregnancies if the income is low enough (her being so young I have no doubt about her being covered through medicaid).
    Right - in Indiana grandparents rights are awarded if either parent is deceased, the parent's marriage has been terminated or the child was born out of wedlock. Visitation must be shown to be in the best interest of the child. Adoption cuts visitation rights except the adoption is by a close relative.

One of the more progessive States.
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2008, 02:27 PM
    Tracy, I guess they do that in Texas but not where I live. People that are on medicaid must now choose an hmo and if they don't one will be chosen for them. It's funny how even state is different they should've that rule every where.
    theshores Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2008, 05:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveVille4ever View Post
    yes, he has his own busines works full time && has already told me that even if we are not married while/after im pregnant he wants to put me on his health insurance to pay for the medical bills.
    Whew! That's good. So, there's no rush to get married then if he is telling you that he will be there for you no matter what. Have you found out yet? If so, did you tell your parents?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my parents find out if I am married? [ 8 Answers ]

I married my boyfriend out of state (but still in the US) for immigration purposes. We intended to marry in the future, but looked at this is basically signing paperwork to help keep him in the country. We do not want to share this with anyone because we both want the big traditional wedding which...

How do I tell my parents I'm getting married? [ 14 Answers ]

Me and my Fiancé are getting married in Feb. I'm 18 and he's 20 we are deeply in love and I have a beautiful ring. Anyway he's a Marine and I'm going to beauty school in the spring my parents know we are getting married they just don't know how soon. We had told his parents and some close friends....

When to tell my parents I'm getting married [ 13 Answers ]

Well, I am 17 and I will be getting married on July 19 2008. I have been engaged since November but haven't told my parents. I am afraid to because they may tell me I can't see him. Since he is graduated, and my father won't let me get a license it would be very hard to sneak and see each other......

Grandparents rights after termination of rights over parents [ 2 Answers ]

I am a single mother of two children and my mother relinquished her rights of me and my sister when I was 12. Now here is my question... my mother wants to go for grandparents vistitaion for my children and my sisters and she is willing to got to court for it. I was told by my CPS worker that she...

Pregnant married woman fathers rights when not husband [ 8 Answers ]

I live in Michigan and my husband and I have been off and on for the last couple of years. During that time I became pregnant by a married man, he wants custody of the child once born what are his legal rights. My husband and I have agreed to raise the child together but the real father wants...

View more questions Search