Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JCP Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2006, 10:16 AM
    Troy Bilt Self Propelled Mower
    I have a fairly new Troy Bilt self propelled mower. The propulsion system is not working properly. If the wheels are held off the ground they do turn but once they are set down, they do not propel the mower. I could take it in but then I wouldn't get it back for weeks. Any ideas for a "fix" I might try for myself?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2006, 03:17 PM
    Well, the problem with that is it might void the warranty. Is it belt driven?
    JCP Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2006, 05:05 PM
    It is belt driven and the belt is in place and working correctly. As I mentioned, the rear wheels DO turn when the drive is engaged and I lift the back of the mower. I just can't figure out why it no longer will "propel" itself. I really do appreciate your replying and certainly don't want to void the warranty... but if there is something I can do to fix it myself and keep going, I'd like to. Otherwise, I'll have to push it until the season is over and I can afford to be without it for several weeks.
    bjoz Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jun 21, 2006, 03:28 PM
    If this is a Model Series 830 - there was a Recall on them before they even hit the shelves at the store - and Troy Bilt is saying NOTHING ABOUT IT. I know I own one, and just went through this problem myself, the self-propelled system stops working because of the pulley system underneath - the fix is a "kit # 753-05089" and it is under warranty for this - they have a 2-year warranty on them - check your booklet on this - and if you still have your receipt you are covered - even if you take it apart to figure out what is wrong - which is what we did - to discover what the problem was - go to an authorized service center - have them plug in that kit # and they will see the recall notice of 3/21/05 for this - Troy should be sued over this in my opinion - they suck for not pulling these from the shelves - and any other model that this falls under - ticked I am over this - as I did damage to my right hand over this lever you pull to operate this - that is how hard it gets to pull trying to operate it - and beware - the idiots at these stores - also have a habit of putting these together wrong - and you may find the belt pin guards will need to be replaced as well - as they are probably broken off as result of incorrect installation - can't you tell I'm a little peeved over this :mad: Takes about a week for an authorized center to fix this - that's about how long you will be without it!
    Your belt is worn out - that is why it won't "drive" while the wheels are on the ground - and why it works while you lift it in the air - DUH! The pulley system is letting it work while in the air - but the belt is too worn to move it while on the ground - it's a "DEFECT"!
    bjoz Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jun 21, 2006, 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thebriggsdude
    Well, the problem with that is it might void the warranty. Is it belt driven?
    That's absolutely not true in all circumstances - and any one with knowledge would know this. If it's a Troy Bilt Lawn Mower - most likely it has a 2-year warranty - and if by chance you used a major credit card to purchase this - you automatically extend the warranty another 1-year with most major credit cards - check with your credit card - that's a fact jack! So voiding your warranty is the least of the issue's here - the first issue is: MANUFACTURER DEFECT - RECALL NOTICE - AND TROY NOT ISSUING THIS TO CONSUMER'S! Let's get real here about the gentleman's question and answer it appropriately - and give him a real honest to goodness answer to work with here - go to Troy Bilt's home page - and look up Authorized Service Center's in your immediate area you live in - call them and ask them with your Model #, Serial # - and whether there is a Recall on this Lawn Mower for the Self-Propelled Pulley Unit and use your Booklet with the Parts List in the back of it - to find the Parts Numbers you need to give them (V-Belt is what you are looking for) - then they will be able to see if your particular Lawn Mower Model, Serial # actually had this particular Recall from Troy Bilt - and the Kit # I'm referring to. If so, then you will be covered by the Warranty at the Authorized Service Center - that simple! As the Kit # is covered under warranty - all you need is your "receipt" from the store - it's invaluable in this case for what you have happening. If you don't have the receipt and purchased it by credit card - get a copy of your credit card receipt from your credit card company - do the research! You paid a lot of money for this Lawn Mower - make them pay for the repair! Yeah - I'm after Troy Bilt over this one for sure! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: You don't rip off Consumer's this way and get away with it!
    gannw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2009, 05:01 AM

I am so glad I found this site. Thought I was losing my mind. I have exactly the same problem only I know it is not the belt -- that has been replaced any number of times to solve the problem and... guess what... didn't make a bit of difference. I have tried finding an authorized TB dealer around here but have not been able to. My mower is over 3 years old but I probably still have the receipt. Given the answers here I will keep trying. As for TB? Never again.
    fdsinozich Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2009, 11:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gannw View Post
    I am so glad I found this site. Thought I was losing my mind. I have exactly the same problem only I know it is not the belt -- that has been replaced any number of times to solve the problem and ... guess what...didn't make a bit of difference. I have tried finding an authorized TB dealer around here but have not been able to. My mower is over 3 years old but I probably still have the receipt. Given the answers here I will keep trying. As for TB? Never again.
    I ordered MTD kit #753-05089 . It has new pulleys and a drive belt. For my mower (TUFF CUT 230 model #12AS5190063) the pulleys worked but the drive belt was too long (correct # MTD 954-04082A, it replaces 754-04082A). I also needed a spacer that was not included. I was able to make one . This corrected the problem, the mower pulls strong now.
    Hope this helps someone. Frank
    tebbk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2009, 11:56 AM

How do I put new drive belts on a 42" 21hp troy built riding mower.
    fdsinozich Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2009, 04:05 PM
    I don't know, sorry. Try allexperts.com.
    Good luck,
    Frank

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Troy Bilt Riding MOwer (Bronco) [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a troy bilt riding lawn mower (42 inches deck) bought last year. I am looking to put a bagger with chute on it. Do you know if a Craftsman bagger ( 6 Bushel 2 - Bin Hard Bagger for 42" Deck ) will fit? I know all most of the available mowers in the market are built by MTD, do the...

Troy Bilt Self-Propelled Lawn Mower's [ 13 Answers ]

Anyone who recently purchased a Troy Bilt Self-Propelled Lawn Mower from either Lowe's or Home Depot within the last 12 months - should be aware that there is a Manufacturer Defect with these. Troy Bilt had a recall that happened on 3/12/05 and never notified these stores, nor consumers after...

Walk behind troy built self propelled lawn mower [ 2 Answers ]

The self propelled feature in this mower is not working properly .It does not have enough pulling power to move the mower along.Can someone tell me how to make this repair or adjustment.

Troy Bilt Mower [ 8 Answers ]

Went into the garage to start the mower and nothing. Won't turn over or anything. Does that mean that battery is dead? It's about 11 months old. Troy Bilt Bronco 42" Twin-Blade Side Discharge Deck C.V.T. continuously variable transmission for simple speed shifting Cast iron front axle...

Troy-bilt mower and electric PTO clutch [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing the lower drive belt on my 23hp Troy-bilt pedal drive garden tractor. The last step in removing the belt is to remove the hex bolt from the center of the electric PTO clutch. When I try to loosen the hex bolt part of the electric clutch and the engine pulley turns at the same time....

View more questions Search