Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raj1son1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2008, 08:09 AM
    Transfer my mortgage to another person
    I live in CA and have a property bought for 250K. I put down 50K. My loan is fully amortised and I am paying payment of 1330/month + taxes etc. I want to move to another place and one of my family member wants to buy the property. They do not have enough down to buy it but they can give me 20K down and then start making payments of the current mortgage and gradually will have enough to take care of the rest of the down. I believe in them. Can I transfer the property to them or add their name to the ownership w/o letting lender know. Does all the lender care about the payments on the mortgage or they have control over ownership changes also? I mean kan I "A" add "B" to the title of the property and let "B" make payments of the mortgage?
    Thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2008, 08:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by raj1son1
    I live in CA and have a property bought for 250K. I put down 50K. My loan is fully amortised and I am paying payment of 1330/month + taxes etc. I want to move to another place and one of my family member wants to buy the property. They do not have enough down to buy it but they can give me 20K down and then start making payments of the current mortgage and gradually will have enough to take care of the rest of the down. I believe in them. Can I transfer the property to them or add their name to the ownership w/o letting lender know. Does all the lender care about the payments on the mortgage or they have control over ownership changes also? I mean kan I "A" add "B" to the title of the property and let "B" make payments of the mortgage?
    Thanks

If you change the names on the title without notifying the mortgage company they can "pull" the mortgage - will they do that in this economy? I don't know.

Many mortgage companies will allow someone to assume the mortgage without a problem.

Your mortgage documents should contain language about assigning/assuming the mortgage.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2008, 08:19 AM
    You might be able to create an agreement between you and he that he pays the mortgage but the bank will still hold you totally responsible. The agreement would probably be in violation of your mortgage agreement if you read the fine print. I don't believe anything official could be done without notification and approval by the bank. It is great that you have faith in your relative but you are getting into a very risky venture in this day and age.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2008, 08:57 AM
    I agree with the 2 previous posters.

Almost all mortgages contain a "due on sale" clause. Check yours to be sure. What that means is any change in title to the property can result in them immediately calling the note due. On performing mortgages, meaning the payments are current, I've never heard of it happening.

If you do it without adding them to the title - like a contract for deed - you would continue making the mortgage payments, while they just pay you. Personally, as long as my name is on the mortgage that's the only way I would do it.

You can approach the lender about the possibility of the new buyer assuming your mortgage, but it's unlikely. They would most likely just want the new buyer to obtain their own, new loan.

Even though it's family - well, especially because it's family - I'd recommend having a real estate attorney draw up the necessary documents. That way both sides are covered, buyer and seller. Each of you will have too much money invested to not do this by the book. We see posts on here every day of transactions that start friendly (friends, family, whatever) and before you know it, it's a mess.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I transfer my mortgage to another property my lender owns? [ 3 Answers ]

I relocated to Georgia and cannot sell my home in North Carolina. Since I have that outstanding mortgage, I'm unable to get another mortgage and I'm forced to pay rent, my mortgage in North Carolina and storage for the items that can't fit in my current abode. Something's got to give because...

Transfer of first lien mortgage loan [ 1 Answers ]

I just received a mortgage loan covered by the real estate settlement procedures act. The first loan servicer told me that my loan is now transferred to a new servicer. Can you tell me why is that, the transfer is the same day.

36 hours before I close mortgage company refuses to give mortgage? [ 5 Answers ]

I secured a deal for a home with the owner and got a signed contract a month ago. For sale by owner deal. Secured financing at 95%, with 5 % down. Did financing through a broker, and got a locked in deal with countrywide over 3 weeks ago. All is well, appraised for 100K over what I have...

Can I transfer/swap my mortgage to a different country? [ 5 Answers ]

I was wondering if this is possible, I currently have a mortgage with HSBC bank and I'm looking to migrate to Australia. There is a HSBC there, and I was thinking is it possible to swap my mortgage, or do a trade in type thing and get a house in Australia? I need to migrate rather quick and don't...

Other law--Any time a person asks this of another person, it must be respected. If I [ 1 Answers ]

Any time a person asks this of another person, it must be respected. If it is not, legal action can be taken against the person who is contacting someone who doesn't want to be contacted. I that true?? Panda1969

View more questions Search