Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rfb7908 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2008, 01:45 PM
    Stainless to copper connections
    I am hooking up a new water heater using stainless steel flexible hoses to copper pipe. Do I need to consider dielectric unions or is this not a problem with stainless?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 18, 2008, 02:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rfb7908
    I am hooking up a new water heater using stainless steel flexible hoses to copper pipe. Do I need to consider dielectric unions or is this not a problem with stainless?
    Any connection between to different metals can produce electrolysis. A dialectic union's needed here to be on the safe side. Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 18, 2008, 04:48 PM
    Any two dissimilar metals will produce a current with water present. Only other option is to install some CPVC like a valve. I'd stick with Dielectric unions simply because that's the way I have always done them, just got to break the contact between the two.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 18, 2008, 05:39 PM
    Don't complicate the matter with di-electric fittings. Get 2 copper corrugated water heater flex lines and return the s.s. supplies.

Sep 18, 2008, 07:14 PM
    Milo. Doers corregated copper fit with your strict CA codes. You guys are always shaking and moving and such.
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 18, 2008, 07:35 PM
    Yes, corrugated copper w/h flex lines are actually preferred here.

We have s.s. supply lines here too. My company doesn't use them because they crack in the folds. Also, they don't seem to flex as well as copper. However, on positive side, s.s. w/h supplies come in large sizes ( 1" and up ). So if needed, we are forced to use them.

Sep 18, 2008, 07:42 PM
    How do you like the braided SS lines?
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 18, 2008, 07:46 PM
    Great stuff - but unfortunately the hot side kinks... We use copper
    rfb7908 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2008, 06:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal
    Don't complicate the matter with di-electric fittings. Get 2 copper corrugated water heater flex lines and return the s.s. supplies.
    Milo, the fittings on the heater are not copper so how does this help? Doesn't it just move the point of dissimilar metal contact?
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 19, 2008, 06:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rfb7908
    Milo, the fittings on the heater are not copper so how does this help? Doesn't it just move the point of dissimilar metal contact?
    The copper flex lines have brass nuts. End of copper flex line has rubber washer at the point of contact with galvanized pipe. Brass nuts act as di-electric fitting. They are perfectly OK for your application.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copper to cpvc threaded connections [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Can I connect cpvc threaded pipe adapters directly to corresponding male or female threaded copper adapters, and, using suitable pipe dope, get good reliable joints? I know there are threaded copper-to-glue cpvc conversion connectors available, but I have on hand a number of copper and cpvc...

Plastic copper connections [ 5 Answers ]

I have a copper plumbing system and want to join copper to cpvc what are my options? Are there addapters for 1/2 inch copper pipe to cpvc?

Copper to iron connections [ 1 Answers ]

Can you connect a copper fitting to cast iron , it' for boiler can I screw a copper pipe into A female iron fitting or do I need a special fitting to connect iron to copper

Sweating copper to copper valve connections [ 1 Answers ]

I'm replacing my shower with a Moen system that has a Moentrol three function transfer valve Model 3330. The inlet and outlets are copper to copper. Other than removing the cartridges prior to sweating is their any particular trick to heating those connections on the valve? Thanks very much for...

Plastic and Copper pipe connections [ 1 Answers ]

Help... I am trying to replace a kitchen faucet. The copper water supply pipe is connected to a plastic shut-off valve. I want to replace the plastic shut-off valve with a metal valve. The plastic shut-off valve will not come off the copper water supply pipe. How do I get this off? I tried...

View more questions Search