Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    debkay68 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Sep 16, 2008, 04:49 PM
    My teenage kids have their own jobs, can I still claim them as my dependents?
    I have two teenage children (one is 18, one is almost 17). They both have after school/weekend jobs. Can I still claim them on my taxes if they work? If I claim them, will they be able to file a tax return? I am a single mother and their dad does not have any sort of custody. He pays child support only sporadically. Oh yes, I also take the Earned Income Credit on my taxes. Will I be able to continue to claim EIC?
    PAICHE Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Sep 16, 2008, 05:05 PM
    As longer they do not claim themselves.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Sep 17, 2008, 12:02 AM
    You can claim them if
    1. The child is under 17, (correction: The child is under 19).
    2. Lived with you for more than 6 months, and
    3. The child did not provide more than half of his own support.

If you can claim the child, the child can not claim his own exemption on the tax return.
    Read Your U.S. Tax Return: Requirements for claiming a dependent
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 17, 2008, 06:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA
    You can claim them if
    1. The child is under 17,
    2. Lived with you for more than 6 months, and
    3. The child did not provide more than half of his own support.
    Regarding item 1 - the age limit for a qualifying child is he must be either (a) under 19 at the end of the year, or (b) under 24 and a full time student.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 17, 2008, 07:09 AM
    The Bottom line is, YES, you can claim them as long as they do NOT claim themselves on their own tax returns.

You should take charge come tax filing time and supervise the submission of their tax returns to make sure they do NOT claim themselves. If you claim them and they inadvertently claim themselves, it will cause a LOT of delay in you receiving your refund.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Sep 17, 2008, 07:40 AM
    If you can claim the child as a dependent, the child can not claim his/her own exemption.
    jennifer5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2011, 10:22 AM
    So if his dad claims him and he don't do his own taxes does his dad have to claim his taxes?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 17, 2011, 06:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jennifer5 View Post
    So if his dad claims him and he dont do his own taxes does his dad have to claim his taxes?
    Jennifer - please note that this thread is over two years old! And I don't understand your question - are you asking whether the father - who does not liive with the children and does not provide any kind of suppport - can clam the kids as his dependents? The answer is no - the custodial parent is the one who claims the children.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1 with family not in US to claim as dependents [ 15 Answers ]

Hi, I am an H1B, I came here in US June 2007, I have wife and kids in the philippines, I have apply them for H4 but still pending. Can I claim them as my dependents? If yes, what are the documents I need to do that. Thanks, Reyn

Can I claim my father and his family as my dependents in this situation. [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a citizen of USA. My monthly net income is about $1500. Every month, I send $500-$800 U.S Dollars to my father and his family(my step-sister and step-mom) who are in China. All the transactions are sent through my Bank of America checking account. They are not U.S citizens. In case like this,...

Can I claim my parents-in-law as dependents [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My parents came to visit us from a foreign country. They stayed with us from June 2006 to May 2007. My wife and I are US permanent residency and are filling as joint return. I am wondering whether I can claim as my dependents when I file my tax return. They are not US citizens or...

Want to claim parents from India as dependents [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have read many posts on this website for claiming parents as dependents for tax filing in U.S. I want to present my case since I am not able to conclude whether I can claim my parents or not: 1) I am an Indian Citizen working on H1B in U.S. I am single -unmarried yet and I need to file...

Can I claim my parents as dependents on my tax return [ 2 Answers ]

I am a H1 holder. My parents came to visit me from China since last October. Is it possible for me to claim them as dependents on my 2007 tax return?

View more questions Search