Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    george57 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2008, 04:35 PM
    Washiing machine breather pipe?
    I have a washing machine that backs up whenever draining, It never had a breather pipe, I have installed a breather pipe. I am still having the same problem. Im not sure if I installed it correctly. Can you explain how this should be done or have any other suggestions on what it could be? Thanks
    george57 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2008, 04:57 PM
    Washer hookup
    Could anyone show a picture of how the plumbing for a washing machine should be set up from the main pipe and up? Thanks george 57
    PAICHE Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Sep 16, 2008, 05:01 PM
    Try sears.com,then manage my home,then find manuals ,this web provide any manual for install and operate any appliance,any brand for the las 20 years.good luck
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 16, 2008, 06:45 PM
    Paiche: George doesn't need an appliance manual he needs instructions on how to pipe the plumbing for a washing machine... let's see if I can help.

George57:

Check out this picture. Let me know if you have any questions...

I forgot to post the vent to trap distance does not exceed as... 6 feet... ;)

Connect into main drain line using a WYE fitting and shielded clamps (see picture) or 4 -band clamps if cast iron main drain or couplings if ABS or PVC plastic pipe.

Shielded clamps are available at home depot or Lowe's. The 4-band clamps are usually only found at a local plumbing supply house.

Water pipes should be 1/2" copper tubing or pex piping. You may or may not want to install shock arrestors at the hot and cold water supplies.

Let us know if need more info.

MARK
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 16, 2008, 07:55 PM
    I am not sure what you mean by breather pipe, do you mean stand pipe for the drain hose? Lets start with how a washer drains, there is a flexible hose coming out the bottom back that discharges the water. Some hoses are hard piped directly into a trapped drain line while other drain into a verticle stand pipe about 30" tall that connects to the drain line. The stand pipe and drain line must be 2" or larger and code will change both to 3" in 2009. If you have this set up you may just have a newer more powerful machine like a Maytag or the 2" drain pipe is partially clogged. I'm leaning clog, what do you think George?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 16, 2008, 07:58 PM
    Very nice job Mark. I think George asked pretty much the same question on the desk but worded it differently. Not having your drawing skills I wrote a book trying to explain what's in that one drawing of yours. Kudos
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 16, 2008, 08:00 PM
    You have clogged drain. Have it "snaked". What is "breather" pipe ?

Enclosed is pic of washer drain with AAV vent. If you use regular vent, than the vent pipe extends up and through the roof. Notice 3 important things in the pic: P-trap, San T and 30" stand pipe.
    Attached Images

Dave Ermeling Posts: 173, Reputation: 3

Sep 16, 2008, 08:25 PM
    I think your talking about a vent pipe. You need to have air behind the water for it to drain well. Usually there is a line that runs up and out of the roof. Many times several lines tie into the same vent pipe before it goes out the roof. You also may have a partial clog. Washing machines often pump water out very fast and it doesn't take much restriction in the line to cause water to back up faster than it can drain through a slight clog or tight elbow.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 17, 2008, 03:08 AM
    Thanks Bob... :)

I can see the posts got worded different and then all got merged! Messy now... ;)

As long as george has what he needs!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 17, 2008, 05:50 AM
    Dave nailed it! Breather pipe = Vent. And here's how a washer stand pipe's vented.(see image). Good luck, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vent pipe for washing machine [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to determine if there is a vent pipe for a washing machine install on our second floor. We have expereinced a major leak on the floor and the ceiling below when the washing machine is draining. I am wondering if there is a vent pipe, which would be behind a wall, and if there could be...

Oil Blowing Out Breather PIpe [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 16 hp Briggs & Stratton opposed cylinder, 1980 vintage which just started blowing oil out one of the 2 breather pipes into the air filter and saturating it with oil. I searched the forum and saw that this has come up a couple of times before with different engines and once with another 16...

Washing Machine Stand Pipe re-do [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I've perused the various question and answers for washing machine stand pipes overflowing, adjacent sinks filling up etc. I've found a number of good solutions, however, I would like to get some opinions / suggestions for my particular instance. Background Summary - 30+ year old...

Washing machine discharge pipe. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a problem where it seems like my washing machine discharge pipe is collaged. I snaked the main pipe with a 40 foot snake. Every thing else in the house works fine. The shower the kitchen sink the toilets avery thing is fine. Only when the washing machine discharges the water comes...

Washing machine drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a problem with the pipe going into the main drain, the water is backing up onto the floor. Have checked for blockage and there is none. Any diagrams on how it should look Thanks Wayno

View more questions Search