Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hockeygirl22 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2008, 04:44 PM
    Bad Faucet or Water Supply Valve?
    I have a one-handle bathroom sink faucet (Moen, original to the house, 12 years old).

In the last few weeks, I noticed the faucet drips, so I put a bucket under it to see the volume. After about 10 hours, I was getting a liter or more of water.

Having no plumbing knowledge (and my father is no longer around to help/provide advice), I decided I would just install a new faucet.

After reading the home improvement workbook my father gave me when I bought my first house, I started by turning off the water supply valves under the sink. Here's where I found something I did not expect
    When I turned off the cold water supply valve, some blueish liquid (reminded me of ink) leaked from around the valve handle. Also, when the cold water valve is closed, the faucet no longer drips.

I have since turned the valve on & off several times and each turn results in just a few drops of the blue liquid each time. I turned on the cold water at the faucet and noticed a great deal of blushish water coming through, but it quickly cleared.

I have several questions:
    1. Why is there bluish liquid coming out of the valve when it is turned on or off?
    2. Is this something I can likely repair myself (fairly good with instructions and tools) or should I call the plumber?

My guess is I do NOT need a new faucet (maybe I want one!)

Thanks in advance for your time and advice,
    Hockeygirl22
    Nashville, TN
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Sep 12, 2008, 04:55 PM
    Sometimes when you operate a rarely used shutoff valve like you did, a bit of water will leak out through the stem packing. As long as it doesn't leak when it shouldn't, I wouldn't worry about it. It does indicate though that that little shutoff valve is on the way to failure. It will leak constantly around the stem when it does. Set a container under it and check it occasionally. The blue tint that you mentioned is possibly caused by the valve washer. You disturbed it from long repose :) in one spot, and the movement caused loose particles to get flushed out. Again, don't worry until it actually fails.

As to your leaking Moen faucet, you will have to replace the cartridge. Go online and look at Moen's website. You will find information on how to do it and you can decide before you buy the parts. You will have to have the correct one, there are several models, but you probably just need the basic plastic one. Those stems can be expensive. Anywhere from $12 to in the $20s. Good thing is that they last a long time. The faucet will work like butter when it's all done.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2008, 05:05 PM
    First of all will let you know that all moen products are life time warranty, if you call them they will send you any part that is bad.

Second it looks like you have two problems, a bad cartridge and have have corrosion in both angle valves time for replacing them, click on the link below and tell me if this is you Faucet, if not please post the Model Number, Thanks.

John

Installation Help / Animated Tutorial - Installing The Moen 4700, 84000, L4700, L84000 Series Single Handle Lavatory Faucet, Ins165a

Here is Moen Lifetime Limited Warranty contact #, call the customer service at 1-800-882-0116 will replace it free of charge, postage-paid, This warranty does not cover products which have been abused, altered, damaged, misused, cut or worn, good luck.

John

Sep 12, 2008, 09:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by afaroo
    First of all will let you know that all moen products are life time warranty, if you call them they will send you any part that is bad.

Second it looks like you have two problems, a bad cartridge and have have corrosion in both angle valves time for replacing them, click on the link below and tell me if this is you Faucet, if not please post the Model Number, Thanks.

John

Installation Help / Animated Tutorial - Installing The Moen 4700, 84000, L4700, L84000 Series Single Handle Lavatory Faucet, Ins165a

John,
    Thanks so much! The faucet looks like this one from the Moen web site:
    Moen Replacement Parts - Order Parts

I'm willing to try to install the new cartridge, but I think the plumber will have to do the work on the supply valve...

Cheers!
    Anna
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2008, 12:01 AM
    Hello Anna,

I would change the cartridge first and see how it works if every thing is Ok, I don't think you would need to change the valves. To change the cartridge close both angle valves under the sink, remove the cartridge, before installing the cartridge open one angle valve for a few seconds to flush the faucet and close it back then install the cartridge and the handle, good luck.

John
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 13, 2008, 04:43 AM
    To add to John's advice, to stop that leak around the valve stem, tighten the bonnet nut about 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Put a wrench on the valve itself and another on the nut around the stem and tighten.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 13, 2008, 01:33 PM
    If you do decide to have a plumber come in to change your stops under the sink, I would recommend just letting them change the cartridge at the same time. It's a two minute job for a pro. And takes the stress off you.

Sep 15, 2008, 08:27 PM
    Thanks, everybody! I've found the right part and will order the replacement this week.
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 08:49 PM
    Hi hockeygirl,

I believe you will be changing the cartridge Number 1200/1225 if so I am adding the link below will show how to replace the cartridge, good luck.

John

Installation Help / Animated Tutorial - Installing the Moen 1225 / 1200 Cartridge

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaky toilet water supply valve [ 2 Answers ]

The water supply valve on my toilet is leaking right at the knob to turn the water on/off. Can I fix this or do I need a plumber?

Replacing Water Supply Valve for Sink [ 10 Answers ]

I am replacing the water supply valves for a sink fixture with new decorative supply valves. I've got the valves removed from the wall, however, the old nut that goes around the copper pipe from the wall (that connects the valve) is not coming off. I know there is a little brass ring that goes...

Supply hose from kitchen faucet won't reach valve. [ 6 Answers ]

I just installed a new faucet in the kitchen. It came with 2 12" supply hoses already assembled. Unfortunately, my water supply valve's are 2" off the ground. I bough 2 additional 12" hoses and a nipple (3'8 to 1'2) to attempt to extend them. I've tightened the nipple as much as...

Water supply valve leaking [ 3 Answers ]

Friends- I asked about water supply valve leaking a couple of weeks ago. Just got to repairing it. With some difficulty I got the packing around the stem and wonder of wonders the valve does not leak. Thank you. However, when I turned on the water supply to the house (There was no other turn...

Water supply valve leaking [ 2 Answers ]

Friends- An indoor water supply valve to an outdoor spicket is leaking around the base of the stem when I open the valve to use the outdoor faucet. Is it most likely from a deteriorated washer or O-ring? Is this corrected by turning off the house water supply, opening the outdoor faucet to...

View more questions Search