Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaheil Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2008, 01:06 PM
    Grounding outlets with plastic outlet boxes
    The wire from the breaker box is 2 plus ground, but the wire into the outlet box is 2 without ground, the boxes are plastic. The outlets are currently 2 prong. The house is from the late fifties. I would like to ground the outlets and install 3 prong outlets.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Sep 13, 2008, 01:11 PM
    I don't get it. If the circuit has a ground at the panel where did the ground go at the receptacle?
    jaheil Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2008, 01:21 PM
    That is confusing to me also. I can see the ground wire at the panel the white and black are entering the outlet boxes
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 13, 2008, 02:16 PM
    If you have wiring from the fifties and plastic boxes, someone has replace the metal boxes with plastic and didn't know what to do with the ground wire. Probably clipped it off at the end of the sheathing. I'd try to pull the cable further into the box and see if you can splice on 6" ground wire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grounding outlet [ 6 Answers ]

Hey anyone How do I ground a 3 prong outlet and there are only 2 wires one black and one white. No green

Grounding outlets [ 3 Answers ]

How do you go about grounding 2 prong outlets

GFI outlets versus grounding electric [ 5 Answers ]

I am currently in the process of buying a house. The house is 84 years old, and the electric is updated to 220, however, during a home inspection there were many outlets that were not grounded. Now, the realtors are suggesting that they will put in GFI outlets for the outlets that are not...

Grounding New Metal Fixure boxes [ 1 Answers ]

The inspector came yesterday and signed off on everything except the new metal boxes we put on the ceiling for lights. He said they should be grounded... We've prepped the wiring (consolidated ground wires from the Romex), but how do we "ground" the boxes? Do we do this by just connecting the...

Wiring outlets, and grounding [ 4 Answers ]

I just read where one of you told someone, the black wire goes on the screw with the longer opening and white opposite, Ie, Then I saw this following statement from an electrician All white wires are connected to the side with a silvery color and the black wires to the brassy terminals. ...

View more questions Search