Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laurenwhit Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2008, 09:12 AM
    Cylinder misfire and bad gas
    Mechanics have no idea what's wrong with my car. PLEASE HELP!

In the past 2 weeks this has happened 3 times:
    I have a 2002 Mazda Protégé 5 with 115000 miles.
    I'll be driving and I can start to feel my car or engine shake so I pull over and slow down and when I get under 15 mph the whole engine starts shaking, the check engine light flashes. I turn it off for about 3 minutes turn it back on. WORKS FINE! The check engine light still stays on. So I took it to autozone they ran the code and it was P0300: cylinder misfires. They said to change sparkplugs check wires. I did that changed the spark plugs, they definitley needed to be changed. Then took it to a mechanic and he said he drove it couldn't find anything mechanical wrong with it and suggested that I have bad fuel. So I bought some fuel injectors and the problem keeps happening. ANY IDEAS?
    mechanickid Posts: 248, Reputation: 5

Sep 13, 2008, 09:28 AM
    Do you always get gas from the same place?

Also you replaced the fuel injectors?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2008, 09:36 AM
    . Replacing the distributorless ignition coils should solve the problem:

While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com

. Replace ignition wires.

Sep 13, 2008, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanickid
    Do you always get gas from the same place?

Also you replaced the fuel injectors??
    No I don't. I get from a lot of different places.
    Haven't done anything to the fuel injectors yet
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2008, 10:22 AM
    mechanickid, it's not just a start--it will solve the problem. You are way off base focusing on fuel and it's definitely not related to fuel injectors.
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2008, 10:32 AM
    Coils are likely breaking down under heat, due to mileage on the car. Be sure to reset the ECM, after replacing the coils. Easy job.

Ensure the new spark plugs are the same brand as the ones removed and gapped to OEM specs. Going from single platinums to double platinums, with different plug gaps, often causes misfires. Stick with what came in the car. Coat porcelein and tip of plug with a light coat of dielectric grease--this helps prevent misfires. Also, ensure the coil-on-plug boots are properly installed over the plug. If they are off, a misfire can result. On a 4-cylinder engine, any misfires can make the engine shake.
    mechanickid Posts: 248, Reputation: 5

Sep 13, 2008, 11:25 AM
    I wasn't focusing on the fuel, in her post I read

So I bought some fuel injectors and the problem keeps happening. ANY IDEAS?
    Which is why I asked if she did and was going to ask why :)

ALSO, I've seen that many people who get fuel from the same place every time end up with simlar problems , that's all

But yes what you are saying about the coils is correct

Don't go giving people negative raitings before you even know where they are headed

Sep 14, 2008, 12:49 PM
    Thanks I'll try all this
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Sep 14, 2008, 01:08 PM
    Try heavier grade of oil maybe what you have is not keeping cylinders lubricated since your engine has over 100k

Oct 2, 2008, 02:04 PM

I was thinking along the lines of the piston is seizing which is causing the misfire in a hi mileage engine maybe due to sludge deposits
    Or carbon deposits on the valves.
    Should the timing belt be changed?

Oct 3, 2008, 11:59 AM

Or something in the automatic transmission? If the engine is running hot the fluid which is cooled by the radiator could be affected and it's shifting at funny points, you are giving it the gas while the engine is still in neutral causing a stall
    If the engine is misfiring it's just more noticeable at slower speeds because at higher rpm the shaft builds up momentum, right?
    P4KILLER Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2013, 04:41 PM
    I had p304 p305 p306 p300-random misfire . I added dry gas (heet) and a bottle of fuel injector cleaner to a full tank of gas . Honda odyssey 2002 214.000 miles disconnected battery to reset code/ no engine light or rough idle for 3 days 75 miles (so far so good) will post if any change signed p4killer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Yamaha yz 125 misfire [ 3 Answers ]

I ride a Yamaha yz125 m.y.2003 only on motocross tracks. In last month it's driving me crazy. Sometimes it powers off and there's no way to make it runnig but changing the spark. With new spark it goes on perfectly, then goes off again with wet spark. When it runs goes on for hours perfectly....

03 civic cyl. 1 misfire [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 2003 civic ex. Recently it started to hesitate and the gas mileage went down about 100 miles/ tank. I got it on a computer and I got a cyl. 1 miss fire code (P0301). I changed out the spark plugs the were pretty bured but I've seen a lot worse. Also I got some STP gas treatment. Then...

What is the origin of this misfire? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello , Do anyone has an idea? I replaced joint cylinder head on my D15Z7 honda civic VTi recently. Since then there is some intermitent misfires at low revolutions( < 2000 rev/s). Mechanic told me may be spark wire cable or distributor cap, spark plugs. I replaced them all. Problem...

Misfire on cylinder toyota tacoma 2001 [ 2 Answers ]

Check engine is showing a code that displays a misfire on cylinder # 2 on my toyota tacoma 2001 that has the 3.4 V-6 (5VZE) engine, so far I replaced sparkplugs wires and sparkplugs, this engine does not have a distributor, it comes with coil packs for the spark plugs and the computer controls the...

Civic randomly misfire on cylinder #4? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 97 civic ex 5 speed that is reading code cylinder 4 randomly misfire.Can anybody help me solve this problem.:) :)

View more questions Search