Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmayhew Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2008, 03:03 PM
    Davril Etching -- Original?
    Several others have asked about I. Davril. What I have does not appear to be related. This is identified on the front, in pencil as " 40 Le moulin rose" and signed I. Davril, also in pencil. The backing has a label in English reading:

The Watermill

Original etching

Proof taken from a copper plate etching. The plate each time hand inked, hand painted and printing done by hand. Published at a short limited edition, numbered and signed by the artists. Plate destroyed at the end. By Davril at Paris, France.

Questions: Who is Davril? Is this likely to be genuine? There is a possibility it could have been purchased in Paris near the end of WW II. I speak French and the wording seems consistent to me with something the French may have attempted to translate into English for the U.S. GI market. Comments?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2008, 11:52 PM
    Is this a print? Are the letters SZL anywhere on what you have?

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Davril etching River in Artois [ 7 Answers ]

I would like some information about an etching by Davril entitled River in Artois. I bought this piece several years ago in an antique shop in north west Minnesota. The etching is signed in pencil with a triangle insignia/trademark with SZL indicting that it is an original French etching imported...

Davril etching [ 1 Answers ]

I have an original etching by Davril, Title "autumn". What is its value and what site can I view to find more information? Thank you

I have an original davril etching [ 4 Answers ]

Please tell me the value of a Davril etching titled la Larterie.

Original Etching [ 1 Answers ]

I have an original etching by an artist Phillipe. It is called "Old Houses". It is signed in pencil and has the SZL label on the back cover. I believe it is in its original frame and is in good condition. Does anyone have any info on how old it is or what it's value is?

Original Paris Etching [ 1 Answers ]

Original Paris Etching Imported from Paris artist Davril River in Artois, France SZL triangular trade mark signed in pencil in original frame measures 171/2" W x13"H handwritten on back that it was purchased by P.C. Moon in 1938 Value? History? Any info will be appreciated.

View more questions Search