Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gabassfisher Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2008, 07:20 PM
    Severe water hammer air or regulator?
    I just ran a new water line to my home. Replaced 3/4 poly butle with 3/4 pvc. Almost immediately started getting water hammer. It only happens when you run the water not when shutting it off. I can turn down the flow at the gate valve and it will stop but as you turn it up I can set it where the water keeps running in the kitchen but I can here the regulator cuttung the water on and off. I mean I'm standing right at it the gate valve its just a foot from the regulator and you can hear the water flow going on and off at the regulator. Is my regulator bad or is there air in my pipes?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 8, 2008, 07:39 PM
    You don't have water hammer. Water hammer is that big bang you get when a fast acting valve such as a toilet, shuts the water off. Most likely you have dirt or trash in your pressure regulating valve. Disassemble and clean the PRV.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 8, 2008, 07:46 PM
    Turn the adjustment nut on your PRV 1/2 turn... any direction. Close and open your main water valve...
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2008, 08:13 PM
    Loud sounds are generally caused by faulty Pressure Reducing Valves (PRV). Chances are may be crap inside the valve, disassemble the prv as Harold suggeted or replace it, also make sure to check the water pressure, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Pressure Still Too High With Regulator [ 14 Answers ]

I'm at my wits end on this one. We recently installed a new Whirlpool water heater, and it frequently discharges a few drops of water out of the T&P relief valve. Our old heater did the same thing. After doing some research online and finding our water pressure was too high, we purchased a...

Water damage due to changing water pressure regulator/valve? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Several days ago I had a plummer came to fix the water pressure regulator outside of my house that connects to the street main water supply, within minutes after he fixed it and left we had a water leak inside the house and flooded our wood floor, we called the plumber right away and he came...

Water Hammer [ 4 Answers ]

Resolution? Why is there an air tank on the water lines?

Water Hammer on Hot water loop of Steam Boiler System [ 3 Answers ]

We have a steam boiler that provides steam for most of the house but also has a hot water loop for the additions. We have been getting a lot of water hammer and it sounds as if it is coming from the area where the first hot water radiator starts (ie it is from the hot water loop). Does anyone...

Water Hammer [ 1 Answers ]

I have what appears to be water hammer in a 18 yr old home. Water arrestors (the blue oil can) are installed. From what I've read, it seems like the solution is to remove the air from the water lines starting with shutting off the main water valve, then draining the pipes. If this is true, then...

View more questions Search