Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suzieqs42 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2008, 07:55 PM
    What age can children choose which parent to live with
    At what age can children in Georgia choose which parent they want to live with
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2008, 08:06 PM
    Is there a custody order in effect? If so the child can not choose where to live. The child can no sooner choose which parent to live with than to move out on their own. Basically 18. Though Georgia might be one of the few states that will allow a 17 year old to move out on their own. Most states it is 18. If the ncp wants them to live with them then they need to petition the judge to modify the custody order.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 7, 2008, 08:09 PM
    Yes, Georgia is one of those strange states, while the custody agreement can hold them to 18, but at 17 a child can move out and the parent can not stop them.

But there is no age that they can just move where they want to as a minor child. They can speak to the judge and the child can tell them what they want, but the judge will still look at what is best for the welfare of the child
    Cntrycwgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2008, 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by suzieqs42
    At what age can children in Georgia choose which parent they want to live with
    Once a Court Order is in place you will need to have the Court make the decision in most instances (Unless you can work out an arrangement with your EX and present it to the Court for change of Custodial Parent). If you have been documenting why the children want to live with one parent over the other (Physical or emotional issues). You can request the Court for a GAL (Guardian Ad Litem) be appointed for the children's wishes and the GAL and/or your Attorney can request the Judge for a Home Study or Family Psychological study to be done and either of these options are costly and can be discredited when in Court. However, your children will have the opportunity to voice their opinion that will be heard by the Court.
    I am not an Attorney.. I have been there and done that.. and won.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custodial Parent allows child to live with non custoial parent [ 8 Answers ]

Can the custodial parent allow a minor child to move in with the non custodial parent? Can this be done with out a court order, if both the custodial & non custodial parent agree on the conditions or do they need to file with the court?

Age to choose where to live [ 33 Answers ]

In the state of South Dakota, what age do you need to be before you can choose which parent you want to live with?

Can I choose what parent I want to live with at the age of 15 in clovis New Mexico [ 8 Answers ]

Hey I'm 15 years old and I live with my dad and I absolutely hate it... well over the last couple of months I found out that my dad don't have full custody... him and my mom have joint custody... and all my friends are telling me that I am old enough to choose who I want to live with and the...

How old do you have to be to choose which parent you want to live with?I'm [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 16 ill be 17 in June. My parents are still together just rarely speak. And I was wonderning how old does the child have to be to choose which parent can have full custody of him/her. I want to live with my dad because my mom doesn't support me in what I do in any way. And I want my dad to have...

Age A child can choose which parent to live with [ 3 Answers ]

I have a daughter who lives in Michigan and stayed there when my husband and I moved to Arizona. She is now calling every night crying that she wants to move back in with us but her other parent will not allow it. How is it that a child's voice can not be heard. I am completely blown away that a...

View more questions Search