Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angeltwan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2008, 01:06 PM
    Statute of limitations on a bench warrant
    What is the statute of limitations on a bench warrant?
    Gem_22205 Posts: 976, Reputation: 129

Sep 7, 2008, 01:44 PM
    A bench warrant remains in effect until it is executed (i.e. you are arrested, or surrender yourself to the court). There are a number of post on just this issue. Explore the Similar Questions section and you may find more on what you are exactly looking for.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 7, 2008, 01:55 PM
    SOL is the amount of time that someone has to take legal action against you over some issue. A Bench warrant is issued AFTER one has been charged with a crime, generally its issued because the person failed to show for a hearing.

Since the legal action (being charged with the crime) has taken place, then the SOL is now moot.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2008, 02:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by angeltwan
    What is the statute of limitations on a bench warrant?

If you're asking when a warrant expires the answer is never. You can, of course, turn yourself in, get arrested - to satisfy the warrant but it will never expire.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 7, 2008, 02:51 PM
    As noted the warrant will stay active till you are either brought before the court, or you die or you do some legal action to resolve the warrant.

In some city courts, bench warrants for traffic tickets are sometimes cleared after a number of years but that is a city by city issue.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2008, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    As noted the warrant will stay active till you are either brought before the court, or you die or you do some legal action to resolve the warrant.

In some city courts, bench warrants for traffic tickets are sometimes cleared after a number of years but that is a city by city issue.

Right - I forgot the dying part is an option - :D
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2008, 05:44 PM
    Correct Chuck and Judy. You only get three choices. Get arrested. Turn yourself in. Or die. Warrants do not expire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you fly with a bench warrant? [ 24 Answers ]

Ok, So I have a bench warrant because the letter I got for a court date was misprinted and differed from what the actual court date was, no big deal, but I need to fly this Sunday and will not be able to clear it before than. The original charge was a misdemeanor, and I am not flying from the same...

Can I fly with a bench warrant [ 10 Answers ]

I am on vacation right now and I just found out I have a bench warrant issued for a misd. Charge. Will I be arrested at the airport when I come back? Please someone help me

Bench warrant statute of limitation? [ 2 Answers ]

A bench warrant was issued for a man 22 years ago... and the defendant left to europe... he got married there and grew a family... 22 years later, after speaking to the canadian embassy in his country he was told that his record would be exsponged after 20 years... He decided, at that point, to...

Bench Warrant [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend that was sent to prison for 5 years for unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon. He was offered 2 years but decided to go for the jury trial. After the trial he was convicted to 5 years. (He had a terrible court appointed attorney that did absolutely nothing to help him.) He...

Bench Warrant Statute of Limitations (CA) [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, everyone: This is my first post to this site. My close friend has a criminal past and has been in jail many times for various things. He is a former drug addict and has been clean and crime-less for over 5 years. Recently, he received a moving violation ticket in Yolo County. Through...

View more questions Search