Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaglikely Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2008, 06:22 AM
    Replacing bedroom hollow doors with 6 panel pine doors.
    I am replacing my bedroom hollow doors with 6 panel pine doors. My problem is that the 6 panel pine doors are not fitting properly. When I hung one door with the same size hinges I was able to put the screws in the same holes as the old ones but the door will not close. The new door is about 3/8" to big. What did I do wrong and how can I adjust the new door to fit properly?

The other door I replaced is not square at the top. On the hinge side of the door the top of the door fits perfect but as you look at the top of the door from the hinge side to the door knob side the gap at the top of the door gets larger. How do I make the door so it fits properly at the top all the way across?

Any information on either door would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:confused:
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 5, 2008, 08:54 AM
    Too late now but I would have recommended installing prehung 6 panel doors, this would have eliminated the issue you now face. Your old door frames are likely not square and are also out of plumb. If you want new square doors to fit you must plane then down so theuy too are imperfect. Your non prehung doors may or may not have come with hinge slots already cut but the chances of a new door hinge match and old one are nearly impossible. Harold might stop by shortly and can tell you about a jig he made for installing hinges. For now, scribing the door and planing is all you can do.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 5, 2008, 06:53 PM
    Frist let's check your door frame. It must be square and plumb. Use a 4 foot level to check for plumb. Use a framing square to check for square. Check the wdith of the opening. Since you didn't mention mortising for the hinges, something tell me you just screwed the hinges to the door.

Do these things and tell me what you have.
    EZHangDoor Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2009, 06:34 PM

The problem is the jambs were originally hung to the old doors. If you need to, you can plane the edges of the solid pine door. I would have also recommended pre hungs.

The door with the uneven gap at the top, try wedging a pry bar under the hinge side to see if you can raise a little. This will shorten the space on the latch side. If that doesn't work...

You may need to trim the bottom jamb of the latch/knob side of the door with a jamb saw to lower it. Remove the trim first, and use the pry bar on the top of door to try to lower it.

Don't forget, you will want to add 2-1/2" long screw through the top hinge into the wall framing. This helps keep the heavier door from sagging over time. If you want a link to a picture let me know. You may want to try this first on the door with the uneven gap as tightening the long screw could also shorten the gap on the latch side. It maybe sagging already and is slightly out of plumb on the hinge side.
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Oct 2, 2009, 04:51 PM

You could also take a piece of 2x4 and hold it against the side of the jamb that is too low on top and hammer really hard to see if it will move up a little. Check with a level and keep trying until you can get it as level as possible. Also try it on the side jamb.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing bedroom and closet doors. [ 11 Answers ]

I have very plain hollow bedroom and closet doors which I'd like to replace one by one. I'm looking at the more modern doors that have a colonial design pattern on both sides but are also hollow. Do I have to replace the door jams/frame too, or can I just take off the old and install the new ones...

Sagging doors [ 6 Answers ]

I am the maintenance person at a local school and have come across a problem with some side by side double steel doors that seem to sag so bad they don't want to close now, they rub together on top. All th hinges seem to be tight I even replaced one top one thinking maybe the pin could be wore out...

Doors [ 2 Answers ]

What is the opening size I need to cut when installing a prehung door on a wall?

Replacing French Doors [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have French Doors in my living room leading to the backyard that also includes a third stationary door that won't open. I'm attaching a rough picture of what it looks like. I would like to get rid of at least one of these and possibly even replace two so that there is just a single...

Prehung Doors [ 2 Answers ]

I have several doors areas framed out in my basement with the ceiling being low because of vents. In several of these areas doors will be installed. I am looking to install split jamb prehung interior doors but there is approximately only 1 to 1 1/2 inch of header to the ceiling. In other words the...

View more questions Search