Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mauikatt Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2008, 09:35 AM
    Air from ducts smells like smoke
    Central A/C turned on last night and within 5 minutes the entire house smelled like smoke - the kind of smoke that comes from an electrical fire. I immediately turned the system off and checked the unit. Found nothing amiss with the compressor/condenser outside the house. Checked the indoor component that sits atop the furnace in the basement and found nothing wrong or on fire. Incidentally, loud clicking sounds were coming from the furnace right before the smell of smoke was noticed.

This is the first time this happened. The A/C unit is only 2 years old and the furnace is about 6 years old.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    MK
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2008, 05:41 PM
    Does the blower fan run in the furnace?, the furnace/airhandler is what cycles the air out and back into the house
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2008, 06:26 PM
    Sometimes dust collects in the system and the first time you fire it up for the season it "burns off" and gives a burning smell. It happens at our office nearly every year. Never hurts to have your system checked out each year. Many companies do a "tune up" for a reasonable price.
    mauikatt Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2008, 10:27 AM
    The fan blower does work. And it had been working fine thus far in the season. The unit is in the basement and the basement is ordinarily humid in the summer, and I did notice that there seems to be a lot of condensation around the joints of the ducts. Which means that there's probably condensation inside the ducts as well. As far as I know there is no "de-humidifier" feature. Could that moisture cause damage to the internal parts of the unit?
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2008, 08:18 PM
    If you have condensation in the electrical side of your system its not good. You may have burnt out a blower motor or blower control from moister getting in it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ducts too big? [ 2 Answers ]

I am setting up some HVAC Zones in my home. I bought the motorized dampers and the bypass dampers. I did not take a scientific approach and just guessed at the size of the ducts/dampers based on what was there. That is if the "zone" had one sized, I added a "feeder" duct 2-3 inches bigger. Now I am...

Central air ducts [ 1 Answers ]

How would you install central ac ducts in a two story house with the ac in the attic? Or how to get the ducts to the first floor?

Air ducts in attic [ 2 Answers ]

My son used about a 8 foot port of the air duct that runs through the attic to walk on (attic is not floored) and he mashed that section about 50% flat. I am very handy with repairs but I have never tackled this before. How much trouble is it to replace that section of ductwork? Thanks for any...

A/c return ducts [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any rule of thumb about the size of a a/c return duct? I cannot get my house below 78 degrees when it is 90+ outside. Even when the house gets to 75 the thermostat will not turn off the unit. I have to dial in a higher number (78). Thks cobia13

Washer Stops Spinning and Smells Like Smoke! [ 1 Answers ]

I have an older (1970's) Maytag washer that has an intermittent problem where it stops during the spin cycle and then smells like burning metal. I am guessing it is a short somewhere?? Is there an easy way to check the wiring on this beast or any other ideas as to what the problem may be? ...

View more questions Search