Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bybraold Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2008, 08:50 AM
    Social Security Disability and 401 k plans
    Is it true that if are disabled and no longer work and are married and both you and your spouse have 401 k plans, you must withdrawl them because social security says you may not have over 3,000 in bank in total?
    Is this true?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 3, 2008, 09:00 AM
    Your 401K is not in a bank, its considered retirement savings and I don't believe is counted. Where are you getting this info?
    CESElizabeth Posts: 81, Reputation: 7

Sep 4, 2008, 08:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bybraold
    Is it true that if are disabled and no longer work and are married and both you and your spouse have 401 k plans, you must withdrawl them because social security says you may not have over 3,000 in bank in total?
    Is this true?
    With Social Security there is SSD (social security disability) and SSI (social security insurance.). SSD does not take into account income or assets to qualify only the disability, if you are able to work at any kind of work what so ever you are not disabled.

SSI does take into account assets and income, it is usually a suppliment insurance income program that pays until you receive SSD, which must be paid back with the retroactive check usually. If you are appling for SSI, yes you must use your assets before you will qualify for assistance. The SSI program provides monthly income to people who are age 65 or older, or are blind or disabled, and have limited income and financial resources. Effective January 2008 the SSI payment for an eligible individual is $637 per month and $956 per month for an eligible couple. If you are married, and only one person is eligible, a portion of your spouse's income may be counted. In addition, your financial resources (savings and assets you own) cannot exceed $2,000 ($3,000 if married). You can be eligible for SSI even if you have never worked in employment covered under Social Security.

Social security Retirement program:

Wages for Social Security purposes are gross wages - wages before any payroll deductions for income tax, Social Security tax, dues, insurance, or other deductions by the employer. We use gross wages as the basis for Social Security credit and for determining whether benefits must be withheld because of earnings.

Nonwork sources of income, such as:

Inheritance payments,
    Pensions,
    Income from investments,
    IRA distributions,
    Interest,
    401(k) distrubutions, or
    Other sources;
    Do not count as wages for the earnings test. The Social Security retirement program insures against loss of earnings from work and not against the failure to have investment income.
    Ergo your 401K would not count against you for retirement.

They have a website at socialsecurity.gov
    Hope this helps,
    Frankie
    BrainSpinalCord Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Sep 9, 2008, 12:14 PM
    Here is some basic info on SSD and SSI
    Federal Programs Traumatic Brain Injury - Brain Spinal Cord Org
    Public Assistance Spinal Cord Injury - Brain Spinal Cord Org

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security disability [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, My question is when your first denied ss is it faster on the appeal to hire lawyer and Also why does it take so long to get a hearing.R.G.

Social security disability [ 3 Answers ]

Can the court garnish my social security benefits for alimony in the State of Florida

Social Security Disability [ 10 Answers ]

In 1981 I had a head injury in the U.S. Navy with a 10% disability medical discharge. I suffer from sever and frequent migrains or cluster headaches. This has cost me over 18 jobs since then. I was wondering if I would qualify for SSdisability. Because of the medication I have to take to control...

Social security disability [ 3 Answers ]

I filed for SSI disability several years ago and received it. At the time I didn't know what was wrong with me. I have found out recently that I have lyme disease and the doctor thinks I have had it since I was in 8th grade. That would be over forty years. At the time I filed for SSID I didn't...

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

View more questions Search