Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hobo580 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2008, 04:34 PM
    Why is my 90GB hard drive full when I barely have any files on it?
    :(
    I got a toshiba laptop with a 90 GB Hard Drive for christmas last year and I only have Sims 2 and some music and pictures on it which should only take up like 60 GB, But every time I checked my hardrive I was down more and more space it actually went down to 1.9 GB. I 've erased so many Sims 2, pictures, and music files trying to free up more space but it only freed up like 4 GB each time. This week alone Its gone down to 936 KB and I haven't even used it. I'm so sick of erasing my important files I've cleared history even just to see if that would help. I just don't understand what is taking up 90 GB of space.
    Its driving me crazy! Can anyone Help?? :confused:
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Aug 24, 2008, 05:00 PM
    Did you try a defrag of the HD? This will give you a more accurate free space measurement.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2008, 07:49 PM
    This should do it for you

-Open explorer and right click on c: drive and go to properties
    -Click Disk Cleanup and choose "All files on computer" option if it asks
    -You will now see how much space you can cleanup
    -Now click on the "More Options" tab on the right
    -Now click on the cleanup button under system restore

-When it asks are you sure say yes (this will delete all previous restore points except the very last one that was made, so you will still have the last system restore saved in case you need it)

-Now let it clean options you have set to clean and you should your disk space back
    mechanickid Posts: 248, Reputation: 5

Aug 27, 2008, 06:13 PM
    Do you have a good virus scanner working? When was your last scan/update? I've seen virus' that fill up the hard drive...
    marty64 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2008, 07:55 PM
    If you manage your disk space effectively (and sometimes even if you don't), "Disk Cleanup" is useless.

I know of two freeware utilities, TreePie and TreeSize, that will show you how much space each folder and its subfolders takes up. TreePie is graphical (pie chart) and TreeSize just gives you a list (sorted in decreasing size by default). There may be others; you could use Google to look for them. I find these tools very useful to tell me where my disk space is being used up.

Also you should right-click the drive in Windows Explorer or My Computer, select Properties, click the Tools tab, and run Error Checking. Lost clusters can take up space but won't show up as files.

It's also useful to go into View, Folder Options, View tab (in Windows Explorer) and make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected. The default is to hide them, but they can take up space.
    =OTS=G-Man Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

Sep 2, 2008, 12:12 PM
    Give CCleaner a go, might be a ton of temp files
    croll Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2011, 03:15 AM
    When you suffer such problem
    Step 1: check virus, spyware, worms
    Step 2: defragmentation under disk management
    Step 3: if nothing worked, maybe you can try to increase the disk space

If your system suffered terrible problem, maybe format the partition is the solution

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I also need to retrieve files from hard drive. [ 3 Answers ]

In follow-up and conjunction with another question posted here, I, too, have a NTFS hard drive from another laptop computer that I need to access/salvage. I have already connected it via a USB drive enclosure (USB 2.0 to IDE). It still did not assign a drive letter; all right-click options are...

Viewing files on your hard drive [ 12 Answers ]

How do you clean up your computer like getting rid of useless or unwanted files,images,progammes. Also how do you view the files on your hard drive

Backing up many files on xternal hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I need to take my Mac laptop in for servicing (to get the disc drive fixed) and I want to back everything up first. I don't know anything about external hard drives! I went to the site "Mega Upload" hoping that I could just upload everything until I get my Mac fixed, but then I learned...

Hard Drive Full? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm trying to install MMORPG games, but my presario C drive would show a pop up indicating there's not enough disk space. I've deleted many useless files and uninstalling programs that may be taking up the space, but it wouldn't help, and I even did a disk cleanup. Instead, the free space...

Saving limewire music files to external hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

Ok... I know there has to be a way to do this. I have over 5,000 songs on Limewire, which is slowing down the computer considerably, and I need a way to save them to my computer permanently. I have no idea how to do this. I have tried several ways to save the music but as soon as I delete it...

View more questions Search