Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    country63 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2008, 10:49 AM
    Florida & Georgia tax return.
    Hi, I know I have asked a few questions and gone to site but I am still confused. I don't mean to be a pain but I am going to try and explain what I have. I am used to using the Tax-Act program every year & Tax -Act will not support my situation.
    OK My husband worked in Florida for the past 10 years where it was very easy to file just federal return. We still live in Florida but he now works and drives to his job in Georgia which Georgia has State tax taken out. I understand that I have to file a non-resident for Georgia on the state tax.
    He will get a w-2 for Florida & a w-2 for Georgia. Can you tell me what program I can purchase that will support what I have to do to file and what is the steps I need to take to do this all right.
    Do I file Florida & Georgia together for federal and then file Georgia state tax separate?
    Can I used on my federal return a credit for paying state tax to Georgia?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 1, 2008, 01:12 PM
    In addition to te federal TaxAct software (for about $65-$100, depending on which version you buy), you will need to purchase the Georgia state software package (for about $55).

You report on the Georgia non-resident return only income earned with Georgia's state borders.

You can deduct as an itemized deduction the amount of Georgia state taxes withheld, but unless you own a home on which you are paying a mortgage, it is moe likely that your $10,900 joint standard deduction will exceed your accumluated itemized deductions.

Of course, you could get a tax pro to do the return for you for about what you would pay for the tax software.

If you want my professional help, email me at [email protected].
    Teresa51 Posts: 48, Reputation: 3

Sep 1, 2008, 01:13 PM
    Country 63, I will answer what I can about your taxes.

On your federal tax return, you will include all the income you and your husband have made during the year, no matter what state it was earned in. For example, let's say your total income showing on the W-2 from FL shows $25,000 in wages, and the W-2 from GA shows $30,000. You combine those 2 totals ($55,000) to arrive at the figure you place on your federal tax return.

Since the state of FL HAS NO state income tax, there is NO state return to file with the state of FL to report the $25,000 earned in that state. GA, on the other hand, DOES tax income made in that state, so you will have to file a GA STATE TAX RETURN for the $30,000 earned in that state.

Although you did not say, can I assume that your husband works for the same company but they just have him working in GA for now?? If that is the case, then you will want to be sure to include transportation expenses as a deduction on your federal tax return, Schedule A. However, if he is working for a separate company altogether, then his traveling back and forth for the job would be considered "commuting miles" and he would NOT be able to take that deduction.

As far as what computer program you can purchase to support filing both a federal and GA state return, I personally do not know of one. I am only aware of computer tax prep programs that will do the federal tax return and not any states-----I am assuming that is because a company would not be able to mass produce a product like that since each state has its own set of tax regulations.

Hope this helps some. As a tax preparer in NC, I have done a few GA tax returns. If I remember correctly, they are not very hard to do---easier than NC's---so even if you have to do it by hand by reading the instructions that come with the GA tax form, you shouldn't have a lot of trouble.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have to pay Georgia State taxes if I have my main residence in Florida but have [ 1 Answers ]

Do I have to pay Georgia State taxes if I have my main residence in Florida but have an apartment in Georgia? I work for an automotive manufacturer and travel to dealerships in Georgia, Alabama and Florida. I will retain my Florida Residency but the company I work for wants me to get an apartment...

Florida Resident working in Georgia [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My husband & I are Florida Resident and have worked in Florida for years. We live almost into Georgia and my husband changed his job and now works in Georgia. He will get a w-2 for Florida & w-2 for Georgia for 2008 return. Florida does not have State Tax but Georgia does. I have a few...

Moving Expenses for Georgia state Tax Return [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have moved from Texas to Georgia in the middle of 2007. I am claiming my moving expenses as an adjustment to my income on Form 1040 (federal tax return). I am filing Georgia Form 500 as a part-year resident. Can I include this expense (of moving from Texas to Georgia) as an adjustment...

J-1 In Florida Tax Return 2007 [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a J1 working here in Florida, twice The first period was 12/2006 - 4/2007 I have worked in a Adventure Park. And I have gotten a second job 02/2007 - -3/2007 Then I have returned to the park in... 12/2007 - 3/2008 I want to know if I have to fill the form 1040nr-ez. No...

Live in Florida, work in Georgia. [ 4 Answers ]

If I am living in Florida, and work in Georgia, and Georgia takes out state taxes what do I do about filing in Florida which does not have state income taxes.:confused:

View more questions Search