Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tbuggle Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2006, 05:14 PM
    Kenmoore fridge dripping water inside
    I have a kenmoore fridge that is dripping water from the top side of the fridge compartment (traditional freezer on top style). It appears to be coming from an assembly containing a plastic (condensate?) hose that runs down the middle of the "ceiling" of the fridge compartment and drips near the rear of the assembly where the hose runs. Currently, I have a cup under it which also seems to freeze at times.

Any tips on DIY repairs would be great as I am not one to quickly dive into appliance repair, but would like to save a few bucks if possible.

Thanks in advance.
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Apr 25, 2006, 05:36 PM
    It's not a hose. The thermostat capillary runs through that plastic sheath. The water is most likely coming through the air vents from the freezer. I think your defrost drain is frozen over. If you remove the two 1/4" screws that hold the "false" floor in the freezer (freezer floor, one screw at each front corner) and pull it straight out, there is probably a mess of ice under it. If this is the case, turn off the unit and let it sit overnight to melt the ice. Clean up the water and reassemble the unit. If you start to get more water in a week or two, then the drain is restricted with something. We can go from there if we need to. You might try putting a thermometer in the freezer to ensure that your control settings don't get you a freezer temp that is below zero. It should be above zero, but below 10 degrees. Let me know if you have further questions, and make sure you include your model number.

Apr 26, 2006, 05:21 AM
    Thanks so much, also saw your reply to the other similar post. Sounds like they have the same problem. I'll give it a try when we can shut it off for awhile and get back with the results. Thanks again!!

Apr 26, 2006, 03:13 PM
    OK, don't seem to have the two screws you speak of, nor does the freezer floor appear as if it would come off.

Got the model number though: model # 253.71822106
    Built in 02/03.

Looks to me as if maybe I need to remove something from the back of the freezer and/or top/ceiling of the fridge??

Thanks again!!
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Apr 27, 2006, 07:30 PM
    Aha... your refrigerator was built by Frigidaire, not Whirlpool. Start by unplugging the refrig from the wall, of course. You are correct. The back panel must be removed by removing 4 screws and tipping the panel out at the top and lifting the center air diffuser from it's hole in the freezer floor. The evaporator fan is attached to this panel, so there should be a disconnect plug or you may have to remove the wires from the motor itself to get room to inspect and/or clear the drain. There is a very thin aluminum tray under the evaporator, so be careful not to mangle it. If you don't find any ice back there, let me know. Does this unit have an ice maker in it?

Apr 28, 2006, 05:09 AM
    Yes, it has an icemaker. Thanks for the info!
    MikeyFridge Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2008, 05:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by applguy
    ...the drain is restricted with something. We can go from there if we need to.
    My Kenmore ET22DKXFW00 had the same problem. I followed your instructions, but the drain did in fact seem to be obstructed -- couldn't poke anything down more than about 1/2" below the hole in the evaporator pan. I eventually blew compressed air up from the end of the drain hose and that cleared things out, allowing my hot water/baking soda solution to flow freely from the evaporator pan down the tube. I'm wondering, though, what the obstruction is -- it felt like metal, as though the evaporator drain went into a small chamber of some kind and the exit to the drain tube was offset, so that there was no direct path from the hole to the tube.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dripping inside refrigerator [ 7 Answers ]

I recently moved into a new apartment. The frig there is decent but it leaks inside the refrigerator section. It seems that if I turn the dial up too high, my butter feezes... and if I turn it down any lower, the freezer drips into the frig. Is there anything I can do to stop this?

Dripping Fridge [ 1 Answers ]

I have a GE refrigerator with freezer on top, bought in 1998. There is water dripping from the top of the fridge. From reading other messages, I understand that there is probably something clogged/frozen. Is there anything I can do without taking everything out of my refrigerator and/or freezer? Or...

Kenmore Washer dripping inside tub [ 1 Answers ]

My Kenmore Washer constantly drips inside of the tub after a wash cycle has completed. I have to turn the water off after each wash to stop the washer from dripping. Do you know what could be causing this problem?

Fridge water smells bad [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have a new GE fridge and had a problem with the water smelling like rotten eggs (literally) when dispensed out of the fridge. That filter lasted about 6 months and was the original one. I changed the filter and when I did the filter smelled terrible. I put in the new one and it worked great,...

Ridiculously slow water from new fridge [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, here's an idiotic question... and I probably know what the answer is going to be... I just bought a new refrigerator on Saturday (our old one was from the 50's) from Sears Scratch and Dent... it's got the water dispenser and ice maker and everything. So, anyhow, I bought the ice maker...

View more questions Search