Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tgrinch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2008, 03:09 PM
    Ceiling Fan-One switch, ceiling, 3 white, 3 black, red
    I have a ceiling fan I am replacing. There is one wall switch. In the ceiling there is 3 black wires connected together, 3 white together and a red. I didn't notice any other wires and evidently, wrongly assumed the red was a ground. I connected the fan black and blue to the ceiling black and the white to the white. I connected the red to the fan ground. I figure there is a real ground wire shoved up in there out of site. Currently I have the switch operating the light and the fan stays on unless the pull chain is used. Where does this red really go once I take everything down and find the ground? I need the switch to operate both, fan and light.
    rockel24 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2008, 03:30 PM
    Ibought aharbor breeze ceiling fan I've installed several fans and never had one where the light fixture turned when the fan is on high qand the blade arms hit the housing help thanks
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 31, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Connect the fan black and blue wires to the red wire and the ground to the bare wire in the ceiling.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 31, 2008, 05:23 PM
    That red could be another hot from a another switch or 3 way. Does it ever have power in it?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2008, 09:17 PM
    You can also connect: fan black to ceiling black, fan blue to ceiling red, white to white, if you want the switch to control the light and NOT the fan.

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2008, 09:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rockel24
    ibought aharbor breeze ceiling fan I've installed several fans and never had one where the light fixture turned when the fan is on high qand the blade arms hit the housing help thanks
    Does the motor and downrod and all turn too or just the light? If it's just the light, something is loose that shouldn't be, return the fan. If it's EVERYTHING your mount might be the issue.

ALSO check to make sure the ball/socket is firmly seated with the notch in the groove.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to install a remote to a hunter ceiling fan/light fixture with 4 black, 4 white, [ 4 Answers ]

Install a hunter remote to a hunter ceiling fan/light fixture

Replacing a ceiling fan with fixture that only has black & white wires [ 3 Answers ]

I am replacing a ceiling fan and there is a red, black and white wire in the ceiling box. It appears the switch is connected to the black (top connection) & red (bottom connection) on the light switch. The ceiling fixture only has a black & white wires. When I connect black to black and white...

Wiring ceiling fan switch and light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the flywheel on my Hunter ceiling fan and I had to remove the light kit that was attached. After I installed the flywheel, I forgot to mark the wires for re-connection. This is an older model fan. There are five wires coming from the fan motor--brown, blue, white, black and...

I have black red White wire in the ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

I have black red and white wires in the ceiling and blue black white and green on the fan which do I hook up to which?

View more questions Search