Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcflanagan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2008, 05:10 PM
    Parvo In Adult Dogs
    Hello... we recently lost 2 chocolate lab puppies. With our first puppy we were told that two parvo tests came back negative. He was later diagnosed with a congenital liver disease (by a different vet). His symptoms included vomiting (clear fluid), no appetite and very lethargic... just like parvo symptoms. So, with the vet telling us that it was a liver disorder, we ruled out parvo and got a second puppy (from the same liter). After being with us for around 2-3 weeks this puppy starting showing the same symptoms. I then began to think that every puppy in this liter must have the same congenital "liver disease". While talking to still another vet she explained how she was not always convinced by traditional parvo tests. I assume she was referring to blood test and rectal swabbing. Being very frustrated at this point I agreed to a post mortem parvo test. After a few weeks we got the results... positive for parvo! Since this puppy was extremely healthy and happy when we first brought him home, I feel confident that the first lab puppy must've had parvo... even though all tests came back negative. Our yard in surely infected with the virus (from the first puppy) and this is what got the second puppy.

Well, today we purchased a 2-3 year old yellow lab from our local Humane Society's rescue program. He was essentially a stray when the local animal service picked him up and he had no tags. So there's no way of really knowing what regimen of shots he's had in his life. My question is this... do you think this older dog will be okay in our yard since 2 other puppies have been infected there somehow? This lab is big, fat, strong and very happy. We want him to stay that way! Any help or advice would be appreciated!
    Thank you!
    Gem_22205 Posts: 976, Reputation: 129

Aug 31, 2008, 05:18 PM
    Even though infection is somewhat unusual in adult dogs, adult dogs should still continue their vaccinations as this is a life threatening disease for which treatment is expensive and no chances should be taken. Parvovirus is practically everywhere in the environment and is hard to kill, so unvaccinated puppies run a great risk of contracting the disease. Once again, treatment may be expensive but increases dramatically the chances of survival. Of course, proper vaccination to help prevent it is better than treatment.

The Parvo Virus in the Environment

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My Parvo Puppy Had consistent contact with my Adult Dogs [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, about three days ago my 10 week old pitbull Puppy started showing its first signs of Parvo, I took him to the vet where he was tested and indeed it was parvo, he is still at the vet being treated. But I have two Adult dogs which where in heavy/consistant contact with the puppy, neither dogs...

I Just Lost My Puppy to Parvo.Will My Adult Dog Get Sick? [ 26 Answers ]

On the morning of Friday Feb. 9th we noticed that our 8 1/2 month old Shih-Tzu had thrown up during the night. We took him to the Vet that morning around 11:00 am. The vet said that he probably just had an upset stomach and a little gas. She gave him a shot for the nausea and prescribed him some...

Adult parvo? [ 2 Answers ]

I have an eleven yr old lab/mastiff mix. He's a mostly outside dog for the past few yrs. Because he can't control his bladder much anymore. After doing a little research, it looks like he has parvo. The first symptoms that we noticed was on Tuesday. At first I figured he ate something bad. On...

Parvo in dogs [ 3 Answers ]

Can you use color safe bleach to clean up after a dog with parvo and have it be as effective?

Parvo virus in dogs [ 1 Answers ]

Hello my name is Darlene and here is my story. I just lost my 10month old great dane to parvo he was hospitalized for 3 days before he passed I miss him terrible he passed on jan 21. My husband has just bought me a new great dane pup 8 weeks old I get him in a few weeks he has started his shots.I...

View more questions Search