Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 02:55 PM
    Catholic Church And Eating Meat On Friday
    My question is this----

At one time, eating meat on Friday was a mortal sin. Mortal sin was defined as sin that would land a person in hell. Hell was defined as a place of eternal punishment.

Then eating meat on Friday was no longer a mortal sin.

Within one week, a sin that resulted in eternal punishment became no sin at all and eternal punishment was gone for this "sin".

How could such a thing be? One Friday, eternal punishment (the ultimate horror) became, the next Friday, no sin at all - no eternal punishment.

It's possible my understanding of this is incorrect, but I'm sure that was taught in recent times.

Thank you for any answers.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 03:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos
    My question is this----

At one time, eating meat on Friday was a mortal sin.
    The Church has a discipline which requires us to abstain from eating meat on Fridays. This discipline was suspended for a short while but has been reinstituted.

The mortal sin is not in whether one eats meat on Fridays, but in one's attitude. If one has the attitude of disobedience and defiance, then one commits a mortal sin. The Catholic Church is the Body of Christ and willfully disobeying the Catholic Church is disobedience of Jesus Christ:

Luke 10 16 He that heareth you, heareth me; and he that despiseth you, despiseth me; and he that despiseth me, despiseth him that sent me.

Mortal sin was defined as sin that would land a person in hell. Hell was defined as a place of eternal punishment.
    Correct.

Yes, for one short period in the 60's, that prohibition was removed. However it has been reinstuted with the exception that one either abstains from meat on Fridays or performs an extra sacrifice such as giving alms or extra prayers instead.

Within one week, a sin that resulted in eternal punishment became no sin at all and eternal punishment was gone for this "sin".
    That is incorrect. The sin of willfully disobeying God's Church is still a mortal sin. And the discipline of abstaining from meat on Fridays of Lent was not changed and it was and is a mortal sin to eat meat on Fridays in defiance and willful disobedience of the Catholic Church.

How could such a thing be? One Friday, eternal punishment (the ultimate horror) became, the next Friday, no sin at all - no eternal punishment.

It's possible my understanding of this is incorrect,
    Yes, it is.

but I'm sure that was taught in recent times.
    Not as you explained it.

I hope that helps.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 04:07 PM
    Yes, that helped enormously. But I must say that the subtleties you described were never explained that way. Eating a cheeseburger a few minutes before Saturday, knowing it was against the Church rules, could therefore never have made it to mortal sin level unless one ate the cheeseburger in defiance of the Church, and therefore Christ. I hardly think any mortal sin is committed in that sense. Who, understanding the gravity as explained by you, would even be capable of doing such a thing?

Does this, in effect, belie the whole notion of mortal sin? By that I mean, knowing and believing the result, who in their right mind would be capable of such sin? Does this not also eliminate all those who commit horrendous crimes from committing mortal sin - as long as they are not committing it in defiance of the Church/Christ?

The question begged here is does disobedience to Christ, in the sense you mean (i.e. the Church) merit eternal punishment? Can one "disobey" Christ/Church in good conscience?
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 06:02 PM
    Yes, that helped enormously. But I must say that the subtleties you described were never explained that way. Eating a cheeseburger a few minutes before Saturday, knowing it was against the Church rules, could therefore never have made it to mortal sin level unless one ate the cheeseburger in defiance of the Church, and therefore Christ.
    Knowing it was against Church rules? Yes, I think that constitutes defiance of the Church/Christ. After all, were you starving? You couldn't have waited the few minutes in order to be in compliance with the Church/Christ's ruling? And if you were starving, you couldn't have bought a fish sandwich instead? Or just eaten the bread?

Lets take a couple of examples. Its 11:00 at night. A person has gone all day without eating. He knows its Friday but the only thing the vendor is selling is sausage on a stick and he literally feels like he can't go another step without eating something. The man begs God's forgiveness, buys the sausage and eats it. Then goes to confession at soon as possible.

That was a venial sin to begin with and by his asking forgiveness and intent to go to Confession his sin has already been forgiven if he were to pass away before accomplishing the deed.

Say that a person knows its Friday and has eaten all day fish or other non meat foods. Then its 11:55 pm and he's hungry and he says, "I know God won't mind." Apparently he is convinced that it is not a grievous sin to disobey the Church on this matter and although it is a sin, his orientation is not completely against God and the Church, so, no it is not a mortal sin, but it is a venial sin and he should go to confession for it.

But a person who eats meat all day on Friday, knowing it's a day designated by the Church as a day of abstinence is doing it in defiance of Church/Christ and is committing a mortal sin.

I hardly think any mortal sin is committed in that sense.
    How so?

Who, understanding the gravity as explained by you, would even be capable of doing such a thing?
    I was at one time.

Does this, in effect, belie the whole notion of mortal sin?
    By no means. Just because you can't imagine that someone would do such a thing, doesn't mean that some don't do it.

By that I mean, knowing and believing the result, who in their right mind would be capable of such sin?
    Many. Those who are Catholic but don't want to obey the Catholic Church for one reason or another. Those who are raised Catholic but don't want to live according to her strict morality. Those who are not Catholic, having been informed of her teachings and reject them.

Remember, not caring about God and His will is possibly the most grievous of all sins:
    Apocalypse 3 16 But because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold, not hot, I will begin to vomit thee out of my mouth.

In my opinion, it is a form blasphemy against the Holy Spirit:
    Matthew 12 32 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but he that shall speak against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, nor in the world to come.

Of course, only God knows the heart and He alone knows whether anyone has willfully turned against Him or whether one simply doesn't care about Him.

Does this not also eliminate all those who commit horrendous crimes from committing mortal sin - as long as they are not committing it in defiance of the Church/Christ?
    Mortal sin is done in defiance of God. And there are many ways to defy God willfully. God has given you and EVERY MAN a conscience. In that conscience is written the natural law which says that man shall not commit murder.

Anyone who willfully commits a grievous sin against His conscience, even if he doesn't know that God exists or anything about the Church or about Christ. That man commits a mortal sin.

The question begged here is does disobedience to Christ, in the sense you mean (i.e. the Church) merit eternal punishment? Can one "disobey" Christ/Church in good conscience?
    Yes. Canon law states that every law of the Church is for the welfare of the human soul. Therefore, if the Church a Church ruling such as abstaining from meat on Fridays endangers the human soul, it is null.

What does that mean?

Say for instance, that a non Catholic person is starving. You are in a position to feed him but all you can obtain is meat. Can you feed this person meat? Of course. You may even join him in eating the meat if it comforts this person for you to do so.

Or say you are on your way to Mass and you see a person who needs medical assistance. Do you stop to help even if it means you will miss the Mass? You will commit a sin if you don't. All you have to do is explain it to the Priest in Confession and he will grant dispensation for you in that case:

Can. 1245 Without prejudice to the right of diocesan bishops mentioned in ⇒ can. 87, for a just cause and according to the prescripts of the diocesan bishop, a pastor can grant in individual cases a dispensation from the obligation of observing a feast day or a day of penance or can grant a commutation of the obligation into other pious works. A superior of a religious institute or society of apostolic life, if they are clerical and of pontifical right, can also do this in regard to his own subjects and others living in the house day and night.
    Code of Canon Law - IntraText

The actual Canon Law on abstinence:

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 06:38 PM
    Many. Those who are Catholic but don't want to obey the Catholic Church for one reason or another. Those who are raised Catholic but don't want to live according to her strict morality. Those who are not Catholic, having been informed of her teachings and reject them.

The above is a quote from De Maria. I haven't figured out how to get into a nice neat box.

I had asked, "...knowing and believing the result (eternal punishment), who in their right mind would be capable of such sin"?

De Maria's answer is above beginning with "Many..."

My response -- 1) Does that include the Catholic who doesn't want to obey the Church because he believes it is wrong? 2) Does that include the raised Catholic who doesn't want to live according to her strict morality because he doesn't believe it? 3) Does that include non-Catholics who have been informed of her teachings and reject them because he does not believe in them?

If you respond, I will have to read it tomorrow since I have to go now. Thank you for your responses.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2008, 06:45 PM
    Abstaining from meat on Fridays was a practice, not a doctrine.

To the best of my knowledge it was not ever official teaching that it was a mortal sin. I've found nothing indicating it was.
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 08:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    Abstaining from meat on Fridays was a practice, not a doctrine.
    Was? I'm surprised you say that. I consider you a knowledgeable Catholic. Did you not know that it is still and that it was never rescinded? I assumed it had been rescinded in the 60s but since I was an atheist back then, I double checked and it was never rescinded.

See the reference to the CURRENT Canon Law from the Vatican archives:

To the best of my knowledge it was not ever official teaching that it was a mortal sin. I've found nothing indicating it was.
    There is no specific statement saying, such and such are mortal sins. Or if you have access to such a listing, please let me know. You have to figure it out by what is grave matter.

Willfully violating the canon law discipline on abstinence is a sin of disobedience and a mortal sin.

No sense me going over it again. Please read my first and second messages to Athos.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 08:31 PM
    The above is a quote from De Maria. I haven't figured out how to get into a nice neat box.
    What does that mean?

I had asked, "...knowing and believing the result (eternal punishment), who in their right mind would be capable of such sin"?

De Maria's answer is above beginning with "Many..."
    What did you want? Specific names?

You asked, "who...?" I answered "Many...." And then I gave examples.

My response -- 1) Does that include the Catholic who doesn't want to obey the Church because he believes it is wrong?
    2) Does that include the raised Catholic who doesn't want to live according to her strict morality because he doesn't believe it?
    Yes to 1 and 2. Especially the Catholic because he has been given the gift and rejected it by his disobedience:
    Hebrews 10 26 For if we sin wilfully after having the knowledge of the truth, there is now left no sacrifice for sins,

Can that be any plainer?

3) Does that include non-Catholics who have been informed of her teachings and reject them because he does not believe in them?
    That depends. There is something called unintentional ignorance:
    1860 Unintentional ignorance can diminish or even remove the imputability of a grave offense. But no one is deemed to be ignorant of the principles of the moral law, which are written in the conscience of every man. The promptings of feelings and passions can also diminish the voluntary and free character of the offense, as can external pressures or pathological disorders. Sin committed through malice, by deliberate choice of evil, is the gravest.

848 "Although in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him, the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men."338

If you respond, I will have to read it tomorrow since I have to go now. Thank you for your responses.
    Again, I hope that helps.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Aug 30, 2008, 09:21 PM
    My question is this----

At one time, eating meat on Friday was a mortal sin. Mortal sin was defined as sin that would land a person in hell. Hell was defined as a place of eternal punishment.

It's possible my understanding of this is incorrect, but I'm sure that was taught in recent times.

To me personally. This is a perfect example of how silly and fickle religions can be. A bunch of laws and gestures that don't REALLY matter. Why not just live your best life to honor your God according to the love in your heart and the ability to tell right from wrong that resides in your conscience? No meat on Fridays? Silly
    ScottRC Posts: 205, Reputation: 0

Aug 31, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Just FYI:

Canon 1251
    Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday. Abstinence and fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

Canon Law still requires that Catholics not eat meat on Fridays... but most Episcopal Conferences have determined that, instead of abstaining from meat, Catholics may perform an act of penance of their choosing.

Catholic bishops to study return to meatless Fridays

By IRA RIFKIN
    Religion News Service
    TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 11, 1997

WASHINGTON -- Roman Catholic bishops Monday voted to study bringing back "meatless Fridays" to express the church's opposition to legal abortion and other "attacks against human life and human dignity."

"Our people are waiting for a way in which they can publicly affirm their faith" and "show their opposition to the culture of death," said Cardinal Adam Maida, archbishop of Detroit.

In asking for the study as they opened their annual fall meeting here, the bishops specifically mentioned the widespread acceptance of abortion, growing support for euthanasia, the continuance of war and rising drug abuse.

The church leaders asked that committee reports on the proposal be ready for final action at their June 1998 meeting.

In Mobile, the Rev. Christopher Viscardi, theology professor at Spring Hill College, said, "I think attacks on human dignity are all over the nation ... Attacks are so rampant that we've gotten used to them. Anything that will help raise consciousness would be a good idea."

The Rev. Joseph Jennings, who served at Saint Pius X and Our Savior Catholic churches before retiring and who is filling in at Holy Name of Jesus Church in Semmes, lauded the suggestion of prayer and sacrifice that such a move would indicate.

"There's a need for prayer and a need for sacrifice. We have not had emphasis on it in recent times," he said. "I like meat like anybody else, but the fact that we give it up or make a sacrifice -- that has a value." Abstaining from eating meat was a standard church practice intended to remind the faithful of Jesus' suffering and crucifixion until Pope Paul VI allowed the bishops to establish their own dietary guidelines following the liberalizing Second Vatican Council, which ended in 1965.

Prior to that, the church insisted on meatless Fridays as an act of penance in preparation for confession and receiving communion. Cardinal Bernard Law of Boston said whether the bishops would again insist on the practice or only institute it on a voluntary basis was yet to be determined.

Some church leaders said avoiding red meat would be insufficient.

"A day without meat is hardly a day of penitence when one can always substitute a good lobster meal," said Cardinal Anthony Bevilacqua, archbishop of Philadelphia.

Bevilacqua and others urged that the study be expanded to include the possibility of asking Catholics to fast every Friday. Other bishops said, however, that would be too difficult for most Catholics and would undercut the effort.

About 280 bishops are in Washington for the four day meeting of the National Conference of Catholic Bishops and its social policy arm, the U.S. Catholic Conference.

Speaking to the gathering earlier Monday, Bishop Anthony M. Pilla of Cleveland, president of the NCCB, called for a greater "spirit of reconciliation" among Catholics.

"The first imperative for reconciliation surrounds the way in which some public discussion of issues takes place within the church," Pilla said. "Across the spectrum of church opinion there are some very angry voices who apparently feel justified in using a rhetoric of violence toward whoever disagrees with them."

Outside the Capitol Hill hotel where the meeting is being held, several dozen Catholics demonstrated in support of and against the bishops' Oct. 1 pastoral letter urging parents of homosexuals not to personally reject their children even as activities stemming from their sexual preference are condemned by church doctrine. At times, the two sides angrily confronted each other.

In other action Monday, the bishops voted to continue indefinitely their annual collection to help rebuild the church in the former Soviet Union and other ex-communist European nations.

The bishops also voted to hold their fourth "Encuentro," a national gathering designed to enhance the church's outreach to Hispanic Catholics, in the year 2000.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 31, 2008, 12:14 PM
    Cannon Law 1251 has never been appealed, it is from the Episcopal Conference that abstinence from meat or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference is to be observed on all Fridays unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday. Abstinence and fasting are to be obsrved on ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

It was qualified by Cannon 1253 that if you do not refrain from eating meat on Friday you are required to do some act of penance. The idea that it was part of the "divine deposit of all faith, and thus a mortal sin from my reading is not the case, but it is merely one of the church rules that require pentence if violated.

Cannon 1253 is being debated ( more or less) as to allowing the act of penance instead of fasting.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2008, 01:14 PM
    Athos

Do you really think that if you eat meat or don't eat meat on a certain day it is going to determine if God loves or condemns you?
    I think God is more concerned with deeper matters of the heart.

"Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
    Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth."
    1 Timothy 4:1-3, KJV

Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ. Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you for the prize. Such a person goes into great detail about what he has seen, and his unspiritual mind puffs him up with idle notions. He has lost connection with the Head, from whom the whole body, supported and held together by its ligaments and sinews, grows as God causes it to grow.
    Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: "Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!"? These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.
    Col 2:16-23

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every fowl of the air,
    upon all that moveth upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered. Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things. But flesh with the life
    thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat."
    Genesis 9:2-4, KJV
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2008, 08:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    Athos

Do you really think that if you eat meat or don't eat meat on a certain day it is going to determine if God loves or condemns you? .....
    Genesis 3 3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of paradise, God hath commanded us that we should not eat; and that we should not touch it, lest perhaps we die.

Adam and Eve disobeyed a dietary law and did not die physically. Does that mean that God lied? No. It means they died spiritually.

Does that means that God loves or condemns them? No, by their disobedience they condemned themselves.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2008, 10:43 PM
    Yes so I would not disobey the Bible when it says

"Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
    Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth."

Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ. Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you for the prize. Such a person goes into great detail about what he has seen, and his unspiritual mind puffs him up with idle notions. He has lost connection with the Head, from whom the whole body, supported and held together by its ligaments and sinews, grows as God causes it to grow.
    Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: "Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!"? These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.

"And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every fowl of the air,
    upon all that moveth upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered. Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things. But flesh with the life

I see NO where in the Bible that it says to abstain from eating meat one day a week.
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2008, 05:28 AM
    Yes so I would not disobey the Bible when it says

I see NO where in the Bible that it says to abstain from eating meat one day a week.
    But the Bible does say that God has given authority to the Church and that we should obey our leaders in the Church:

Hebrews 13 7 Remember your prelates who have spoken the word of God to you; whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation,

Hebrews 13 17 Obey your prelates, and be subject to them. For they watch as being to render an account of your souls; that they may do this with joy, and not with grief. For this is not expedient for you.

Therefore, if the Church tells us to abstain from eating meat on Fridays, we do so.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2008, 07:43 AM
    God gave the authority to the church
    so the church has the authority to change the Bible where it says
    beware of false teachings in the latter times that forbid certain things and say to abstain from eating meats.

I guess that is more verses of the Bible that the Church contradicts so I should throw them away too?
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Sep 1, 2008, 03:51 PM
    My point of disagreement is that I don't believe for a minute that the RCC is the CHURCH. The Church has no denominational name, no organizational head, (only Jesus Christ) and cannot be joined, but is entered ONLY by spiritual birth by believing on Jesus Christ as the only begotten Son of God, repentance from dead works, and by faith in the accomplished work of Christ.
    All these rituals are nonsense. Jesus left only 2 ordinances, The Lord's Supper, and water baptism.
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2008, 03:18 PM
    God gave the authority to the church
    so the church has the authority to change the Bible
    The Catholic Church has never changed the Bible.

where it says beware of false teachings in the latter times that forbid certain things and say to abstain from eating meats.
    Last I saw, that teaching is still in the Bible.
    1 Timothy 4 1 Now the Spirit manifestly saith, that in the last times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to spirits of error, and doctrines of devils, 2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy, and having their conscience seared, 3 Forbidding to marry, to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving by the faithful, and by them that have known the truth.

Yeah. There it is.

Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: "Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!"?
    That isn't what the Church teaches. Are you upset because we believe and obey the words of Jesus Christ:
    Matthew 9 15 And Jesus said to them: Can the children of the bridegroom mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? But the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken away from them, and then they shall fast.

We fast and abstain from certain foods today, because Jesus said that we would. We observe all of Scripture.

These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.
    Really? Then I wonder why St. Paul did it:
    1 Corinthians 9 27 But I chastise my body, and bring it into subjection: lest perhaps, when I have preached to others, I myself should become a castaway.

I guess that is more verses of the Bible that the Church contradicts so I should throw them away too?
    The Church throws none of the verses of the Bible away. She accepts them all. That is what you are objecting to. You are objecting to our keeping verses of the Bible which you despise.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2008, 03:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1
    My point of disagreement is that I don't believe for a minute that the RCC is the CHURCH.
    That is your right. I believe the Catholic Church is the CHURCH which Jesus built.

The Church has no denominational name, no organizational head, (only Jesus Christ) and cannot be joined, but is entered ONLY by spiritual birth by believing on Jesus Christ as the only begotten Son of God, repentance from dead works, and by faith in the accomplished work of Christ.
    Jesus seemed to think that He left an identifiable organization:

Matthew 18 17 And if he will not hear them: tell the church. And if he will not hear the church, let him be to thee as the heathen and publican.

All these rituals are nonsense. Jesus left only 2 ordinances, The Lord's Supper, and water baptism.[/QUOTE]

What about these:
    Matthew 28 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and behold I am with you all days, even to the consummation of the world.

John 20 23 Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.

Matt 25 35 For I was hungry, and you gave me to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me to drink; I was a stranger, and you took me in:

36 Naked, and you covered me: sick, and you visited me: I was in prison, and you came to me. 37 Then shall the just answer him, saying: Lord, when did we see thee hungry, and fed thee; thirsty, and gave thee drink? 38 And when did we see thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and covered thee? 39 Or when did we see thee sick or in prison, and came to thee? 40 And the king answering, shall say to them: Amen I say to you, as long as you did it to one of these my least brethren, you did it to me.

John 14 15 If you love me, keep my commandments.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    In Sorrow Posts: 82, Reputation: 5

Sep 7, 2008, 09:45 AM
    From what I understand in the Catholic Church we practice that only during the " Lent Season ". From the time I receive my Ashes on ash Wednesday, no meat is to be eaten on fridays till after Easter is over.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Could the Catholic Church be EVIL? [ 103 Answers ]

Priest faces trial in nun’s stabbing death Body of 71-year-old victim was found under altar cloth 26 years ago Reuters Updated: 10:35 a.m. ET April 15, 2006 TOLEDO, Ohio - A 68-year-old Catholic priest goes on trial Monday in the stabbing death of a nun whose body was found covered by an...

Communion in Catholic Church [ 1 Answers ]

My grandmother have moved from Greece to live with me. She has always attended the Church of Greece. Can she receive communion in a catholic church?

Non-Church Catholic Wedding [ 5 Answers ]

Does the Catholic Church have a hard and fast position on non-church weddings (for example, an intimate, personal wedding ceremony in a quiet courtyard), or is it left to the discretion of the diocese/parish/priest performing the sacrament?

Dark Ages,Catholic Church [ 2 Answers ]

Why was it called dark ages and was the catholic church behind the dark ages ? I have been reading a lot of books on the subject of the conspicary of the catholic church covering up about Jesus and that Jesus was married and had children,The nights templar guarded this secret.The Masons was...

View more questions Search