Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shaunrs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2006, 07:06 PM
    Mildew smell when I turn on the water
    I am experiencing a mildew smell when I first turn on the water in the tub. Is it possible for mildew to grow inside the pipes? And how do I get rid of it?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 29, 2006, 05:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunrs
    i am experiencing a mildew smell when i first turn on the water in the tub. is it possible for mildew to grow inside the pipes? and how do i get rid of it?
    This might not be in your house. In my area the utilities company sent out a letter that due to a low water table and a lower leval in the reservoir our water wiil taste musty. They said this is harnless and will go away in time.
    Contactyour local utilities company and check. If they say the water's OK then I need more details. Is the tub the only fixture affected? What is the brand name of the tubs faucet? What type? One handle or two knobs? Is the odor in both hot and cold water? Waiting for your reply. Tom
    shaunrs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2006, 10:07 AM
    The house was built in 1973 and we've been here 2 years. I can't see a brand name anywhere on the faucet. It is a knob that you pull out to turn on the water and twist left for hot and right for cold. (would a picture be more helpful?) I experimented a little and I think I can only smell it when the knob is turned to hot. I hope this answers your questions. I really appreciate your help!!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 30, 2006, 04:47 AM
    It sounds like some minerals have leeched into your well and have interacted with the magnesium anode rod in your water heater creating hydrogen sulfate gas. The rod is located under the large looking nut on top of your heater. First try flushing out your heater. Attach a hose on the boiler drain located at the bottom of the heater. With the pressure left on open the hose bib and let the water run until it's clear. If the problem persists, change the anode rod to aluminum. Now check the screens on your aerators. . More questions? I'm as close as a click. This should give you some places to start checking. Let me know, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smell in Tap Water [ 6 Answers ]

I've read all the posts about smelly cold water (great work, BTW!), but nothing quite matched the symptoms we're experiencing: We moved into a 2-year old condo last year and immediately we noticed the master bath toilet wouldn't completely flush, unless we held the handle down until it...

Oil smell in water [ 7 Answers ]

The water in my condo has a oliy-metallic smell. Over the past week it has been gradually getting stronger and has spread from the kitchen (where I first noticed it) to all the bathrooms. The showers, toilets, sinks... everything has this smell now. I originally thought it was the drain, but I...

Whirlpool dryer drum won't turn, with burning smell [ 1 Answers ]

My Whirlpool dryer drum won't turn, after I set the setting and close the door, and there is a strong burning smell at that time. It is only about 2 1/2 yrs old. Any ideas? Thanks, Cindy

Mildew smell in bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

We have a 2 yr old house, for about the last 2 months there has been a terrible mildew smell in one of the bathrooms. The bathroom is used on a daily basis... We have taken everything out of there 3 times now and scrubbed it down with bleach/cleaner, replaced shower curtain, rugs,towels,etc.. It...

Can't turn off hot water in shower [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get the valve out to replace the washer in a 30 year old house? I thought I could open it all the way and screw it out but it doesn't want to come out. Am I doing it wrong or is there a trick? Don't want to bust the old copper pipe in the wall if I can help it. Thanks!

View more questions Search