Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    allinone Posts: 76, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2006, 03:24 PM
    How to format one partition?
    I partitioned h. drive 80 Gb on two partitions. One is for OS and applications (10 Gb) and other (the rest) for everything. I want to format 1st partition w/out damaging other because, I guess, it cougth a virus. How can I do this?

Thank you.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

May 27, 2006, 03:52 PM
    The exact process is dependent on the OS you're trying to install but generally when you install an OS you can choose which partition to format for the OS. Under Windows XP when you boot from the CD and the install identified the HD and is about to install you'll be given an option which partition to use and to format. Say you have C: and D: as your partitions then install XP on C: and choosing to format C: will not harm your D:

Having said that... you should backup your data just in case as a precaution before you do any formatting.
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

May 27, 2006, 04:16 PM
    After selecting My Computer... right click on the drive and select format.. wouldn't it be easier to virus scan that particular drive or spyware scan then to format?.

Formatting should be your LAST option when all else fails... good lucki
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

May 28, 2006, 08:26 AM
    Firstly, I second the backup suggestion, this always makes working on computers less stressful!

I agree that formatting is the last resort, however if you are at this stage:

If you are trying to format the partition that your operating system is on (C:), it won't let you do that (it's anti suicide you see) If you have your XP CD (assuming XP here) then boot from it, delete and re-create the 10 gig partition as part of the installation procedure. Make sure you have all the drivers and software you need before doing this though!
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

May 28, 2006, 08:27 AM
    That smiley wasn't supposed to appear there :)
    shahbazkhan936 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2010, 12:18 AM
    When I am entering & logging in the comuter is automatically logging off

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Partition or not? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Maxtor hard drive with 41 GB of free space and 16GB of used space.It never really differs from this. Should I compress the drive which is a option in the Properties folder for the drive or partition and if so how? Thanks

Partition for Mac & IBM [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to have an external USB 2.0 hard drive, that can be used on both mac and IBM systems. Would need to access the files from either OS. I have no idea about Mac at all, and don't know if Mac can read FAT or NTFS. Any help is appreciated. Many thanks :)

Partition question [ 5 Answers ]

Hey, I have a ? About partitioning, I want to partition my new PC with out going through the steps of using my reformat disk, is there any way to do this without going through this process? I don't want all my stuff just c drive only, any help with this matter would be gratefully appreciated, thxs...

Creating one partition? [ 6 Answers ]

Running MS XP SP2. Onboard hdd is 120GB. It's formatted as follows:- C:\ Primary Partition-NTFS-58.59GB-38% free E:\ Partition-NTFS-53.19GB-39% free (Logical Drive) I would prefer the disk to all be seen as C:\ E:\ currently contains a number of Acronis images of C:\ which are not...

View more questions Search