Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sugartits Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2008, 10:26 PM
    How do you give boyfriend space he wants
    My boyfriend has asked me for space. I don't know how to give it to him feely and without being scared he won't come back. He wants the space to re-evaluate him as my boyfriend and see if he can truly swallow some of his pride or beliefs to move in a direction we both want. He loves me so much and he knows I am devastated by his request but really have no choice. How do I do it?
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Aug 23, 2008, 10:31 PM
    Give him his space. If you cling and cry and refuse you'll make it worse. Ever heard the saying, "If you love something, set it free. If it comes back, it's yours and if it doesn't, it never was." I think that is very applicable in this situation.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 25, 2008, 06:12 AM
    Is this a break up, or do you two spend too much time together, and he can't see his friends, or do anything else besides be with you??

Either way, leave him alone, and let him call you.
    Ivory0921 Posts: 82, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 01:05 PM
    Give him what he wants. It's the best thing to do for now.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2008, 01:29 PM
    Give hime some space, perhaps the break will do you both good.He will realise how much he misses you and vice/vers.

It's a good test of your love and trust of each other.

What you shouldn't do is phone or text every 5 minutes, that will be defeating the object.

I know this will be difficult, but... absence makes the heart grow fonder
    imsointoyou Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 04:37 PM
    I think it's a good idea to give him his space. My boyfriend of 2 years thought we should go on a break and as hard as it was for me I had to give him space. After 3 days of not talking at all he called me and told me he missed me. We stayed on our break and he began calling me every night (I NEVER made the call). After about a couple of weeks he told me he couldn't stand to be apart anymore. As hard as it is to be away from the guy you love, your relationship will be 100 times better if it all works out. He'll realize what he has if he has to spend some time without you. If he doesn't come back, he wasn't worth your time anyway. The boys who make you cry aren't worth your tears
    sweety Posts: 77, Reputation: -1

Aug 25, 2008, 07:59 PM
    Don't call him or chase him,let him realise his feelings for you. You should hang out with your friends and keep yourself busy until he has time to himself to see if he really loves you.just think positive!
    sweeteneddoll Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 11:48 PM
    I had a similar problem, and it takes practice, but go through the process slowly. Try not to call/text/email so much. It's going to be really hard at first, but soon after you get kind of used to it. With my boyfriend, I started reading more books and studying more things to keep myself occupied, only talking to him if he tried to contact me first. After a couple weeks of that, things evened out. Now, though he's not clingy, he's the one being affectionate and wanting time with me on his own and it's not the other way around.

When either of you are at work, don't contact each other. Try to cut back to seeing him once a week (don't worry, it shouldn't be permanent) or if you live with him, don't demand quality time every day. Try to focus on your life and your goals, which makes it a lot easier to be less clingy.

I don't know if my advice makes any sense, but just try to let him control the swing of things for awhile. It should even out. I know how anxious you are feeling and how scared you must feel when you can't talk to him, and I know how unhealthy it can be and how much damage it can do. Just slowly try to let him call the shots. Good luck.
    Chanti3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2011, 03:45 PM
    I cry every night because my boyfriend said he wanted his space and get his mind off work. I never listend and kept calling and textin until we both said stuff that really hurt. I haven't called him for a week now and he has realized that he can't go without me by his side. Its very difficult to not talk to the person u love the most and who you want to spend the rest of your life with. We both have built our relation**** and now were engagged. I have to say giving him his space to get back on track was the best thing for the both of us.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

She wants space.But tells me not to give up on her. [ 115 Answers ]

Wow... Where to begin. Ill try to make this brief but how do you sum up 7 years of living together and 7 months of being separated. The Breakup.. She needs space. She is unhappy with herself. She just finished college and was starting the masters but it was too stressfull. So she drops...

Do I go to Maryland or give him space? [ 1 Answers ]

Well want to know why he has changed since he got out of basic training he asked me to marry hin when he comes home and he wants to adopt my kids so we can be a family and he wants to take care of us. Well now he has graduated boot camp and now in Maryland doing ait well don't know what that is...

Should I give my girlfriend the space she wants or just end it? [ 14 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I (both in our early 20's) have been going out for close to 5 months. Also 3 months before she started dating me, she had just ended an intense 3 year relationship and had been emotionally abused. (Fyi, she's also completely cut him off from her life, so I know the ex is not an...

Ex won't give me space [ 1 Answers ]

So my ex girlfriend and I have been broken up for about 3 months, although we never gave each other space. First I need to tell you we've known each other almost two years and were always flirting with each other, and then dated for about 4 months long distance. I'm 29 and she's 23, I went to...

How do I tell him to give me space ? [ 17 Answers ]

My partner and I had unprotected sex and now I'm pregnant. After discussing what to do he made it very clear that keeping the baby is not what he wants and it would wreck his life, he isn't ready emotionally physically or mentally.. Although I do want the baby because the thought of an abortion...

View more questions Search