Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    irenereed Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 08:21 AM
    Fraud withdrawing deceased money
    Is it fraud if a wife withdraws money from her dead husbands personal accoun?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 25, 2008, 08:22 AM
    Only if she is not a joint owner of the account oir the executor of his estate.
    Neilcathy67 Posts: 47, Reputation: 3

Oct 9, 2008, 07:42 PM

Yes, this is a correct answer.
    jdelk4 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2008, 02:08 PM

Just make sure you are not withdrawing any Social Security payments. You will be liable to repay any money you took from the Social Security after your husband's death. And there is no statute of limitations for this.

One of my first bank jobs was to take money from bank accounts on behalf of Social Security. The payments are made one month in advance so the first payment after death and every payment thereafter must be returned. One time I had to take about $25,000 from a little old lady because she had unknowingly been receiving her dead husbands SS payment for 5 years. It wiped her out. Sounds harsh, I know but the government always gets there money.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 16, 2008, 03:39 PM

Well first it is not fraud, unless someone else has claim to the bank account and estate. It may be a violation of some of the estate laws.

In this case we don't know if she was or was not a signer to the account, or if she is over the estate or not.

If it goes to the estate and there are other claims to the money, then she has to explain the use, if she gets the entire estate anyway , there is no real issue
    Neilcathy67 Posts: 47, Reputation: 3

Oct 17, 2008, 11:46 AM

In Fl, once someone dies, ALL their property becomes part of their estate. IF the account is not joint, you are not allowed to remove any funds from it. If there is a will and the spouse is the only person to receive anything from the estate, it still has to go through the probate system. He or she will be issued letters of administration which gives them the right to remove any money from a non joint account. If the is no will, the state will administer the estate. I know other states are different, you should always consult an attorney to find out what the laws are in your state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Louisiana Law on inheriting money from my deceased brother? [ 1 Answers ]

I inherited money from my deceased brother's will. I'm on disablity and I would like to know if this money would jeopardize my disability income? I'm 75 years old. I no longer file income taxes... would I have to because of this money? It's less than 50,000. Would I have to pay inheritance...

Withdrawing ira money [ 2 Answers ]

1. If I had a choice of opening a reg or ira acct and make withdrawals from the ira acct knowing that I was going to have to pay taxes on early withdrawl plus a 10% penalty tax. And let's assume that I could make 12% in whatever acct. how much above 12% would I need to make it worth my while to...

Bank taking money from me to cover fraud [ 3 Answers ]

I was a victim of fraud and I need help find some laws that proctect victims from the bank taking all your money to cover the fraud. The fraud was getting paid by fraud money orders for collection work for KP Antquies& Company. I have four kids and a farm to run and right now the bank is taking...

This is about money owed a deceased person [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter owed my father 7ooo. She paid 2000. Of it and my father died a month later. My brother is trying to sue my daughter for this. I need a reference point to give to judge. Can anyone help me. I already paid 800. To a lawyer who says you cannot sue a family member for money lent. But I...

Mother deceased, am I entitled to any money? [ 2 Answers ]

Never mind, apparently children in need should be ASHAMED of themselves for asking their surviving parent for financial help. I guess their grief is of no importance, their lives have not been altered in any way, and the surviving parent should be allowed to frivolously spend the retirement wages...

View more questions Search