Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stronaas Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2008, 11:15 AM
    How to use rebar in a block wall
    :confused: I've read all the answers on How to build a cinder block wall using re-bar and concrete. My question is: How is the re-bar set in the footing to secure it and keep it standing straight up. Is the concrete put into the footing, a cinder block put down onto the wet concrete and then the re-bar is stuck into the center of the cinder block and pushed into the wet concrete? What makes it stand vertical? Just the concrete in the footing?
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Aug 22, 2008, 12:37 PM
    Yes, just the concrete will allow the rebar to stand vertical and the blocks on on after the footing cures, not while wet. See these photos, might help.

Port Moody Ioco Road Rechlorination
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Aug 22, 2008, 12:45 PM
    You will need exact and detailed building plans before building anything structural that would actually need these rebars that will tell you exactly where to put them, how far apart, what diameter of rebar to use, etc. There are civil engineering calculations involved based on the exact site you are building type of soil, height of wall, strenth of foundation, strenth of concrete mixture etc. etc. Just because someone else's project had thus and such, you cannot safely assume yours is OK the same way. But basically you most often have a grid of rebars running in both directions and you attach the vertical ones to the horizontal ones with a wrapping of wire. If using concrete blocks instead of solid concrete you do indeed drop the bars inside (or they are already wired to the horizontal foundation rebars) and if you need more than one bar you make a lap joint that is covered with wire. Realize that the cement is more liquid when you pour, you can wiggle the bars around to center them before the mix solidifies. Some will anchor a rebar to the form with disposable ties or use small blocks of wood or stones to get it into position or simply hook the rebar after the pour with a tool to wiggle it around after pouring to get it into an exact position.

Aug 22, 2008, 01:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amricca
    yes, just the concrete will allow the rebar to stand vertical and the blocks on on after the footing cures, not while wet. See these photos, might help.

Port Moody Ioco Road Rechlorination
    Thank you! You've answered my question.

Aug 22, 2008, 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wildandblue
    You will need exact and detailed building plans before building anything structural that would actually need these rebars that will tell you exactly where to put them, how far apart, what diameter of rebar to use, etc. There are civil engineering calculations involved based on the exact site you are building type of soil, height of wall, strenth of foundation, strenth of concrete mixture etc. etc. Just because someone else's project had thus and such, you cannot safely assume yours is OK the same way. But basically you most often have a grid of rebars running in both directions and you attach the vertical ones to the horizontal ones with a wrapping of wire. If using concrete blocks instead of solid concrete you do indeed drop the bars inside (or they are already wired to the horizontal foundation rebars) and if you need more than one bar you make a lap joint that is covered with wire. Realize that the cement is more liquid when you pour, you can wiggle the bars around to center them before the mix solidifies. Some will anchor a rebar to the form with disposable ties or use small blocks of wood or stones to get it into position or simply hook the rebar after the pour with a tool to wiggle it around after pouring to get it into an exact position.
    Thank you for the additional information about building and plans. You've answered my question and I understand it now. Thanks a lot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ICF architecture, specifically rebar schedule and wall openings [ 7 Answers ]

I don't know how possible this answer will be to get. I have an ICF home design made for us by an architect. I have the complete blueprints. BUT I don't see anywhere that he spells out the rebar schedule so we'd know where to place the rebar in our walls. This is my 1st time working with...

Block wall vs Pre-cast Concrete [ 4 Answers ]

Is there a substantial difference in cost and if so which is cheaper?

Strength of glass block wall [ 5 Answers ]

We plan to have a glass block wall on one side of a new staircase. The stair treads will be free standing with no risers, 35cm x 100cm x 8cm thick solid wood with steel connectors under to attach to the concrete wall on one side and the glass block on the other side. Is there any problem with this...

Concrete Block Wall Construction [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking at putting in a cinder block wall (50' x 6'). It is in Calif. And in a no freeze area. What is needed for the footing? Depth, width, filler, and re-bar? I think that it needs to be 12" deep and 16" wide with 6" of crushed rock as the base, not sure on the re-bar requirement. How...

View more questions Search