Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andycap Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2008, 12:04 PM
    Plumbers putty or silicone to seal bathtub drain
    Is it disastrous to use plumbers putty instead of silicone to seal a bathtub drain which uses
    ABS pipes ? I've gotten conflicting advice with little explanation that sounds reasonable.

Thanks for your replies on this and for all your help in the past
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 21, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by andycap
    Is it disastrous to use plumbers putty instead of silicone to seal a bathtub drain which uses
    ABS pipes ? I've gotten conflicting advice with little explanation that sounds reasonable.

Thanks for your replies on this and for all your help in the past
    No! We used Plumbers Putty for years with no problems. However, I think Silicone Jel is a bit more flexible then putty and if the tub flexes a bit when you step into it the Silicone will hold the seal better. Good luck, Tom.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 21, 2008, 12:32 PM
    Hi Andycap:

The answer with this one will differ between plumbers, but the fact is that either plumber's putty or silicone can be used in this case. There is no issue using plumber's putty and ABS piping materials.

I've always used plumber's putty for metal tub drains, lavatory pop-up assemblies, and kitchen sink strainers, but usually use a clear silicone for my shower strainers and plastic tubs.

Plumber's putty stains marble and granite so don't use on these surfaces. In these cases, such as when we install a new faucet on a granite countertop we use silicone.

If cast iron or steel tub you can use plumber's putty no issue. If fiberglass or acrylic tub opt for the silicone... ;)

Just saw that Tom and I posted at same time...similar answer there Andy...:) You decide!!

MARK
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 21, 2008, 07:37 PM
    Finally, one word answer: PUTTY!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 21, 2008, 08:12 PM
    I usually use putty because it is not as messy as silicone. Both work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toe-tap drain does not seal completely [ 2 Answers ]

I have a toe-tap drain in a kids tub. The mechanism pops up and down properly when the top is not screwed on. If I screw the top part with the rubber gasket on completely, I can not push the top part down far enough to engage in the lower (closed) position. I can only get it to lock in the lower...

Need a shower pan drain seal - FLORESTON [ 2 Answers ]

The rubber gasket that seals my plastic shower pan to the drain pipe in the floor is leaking. I easily pulled it out and I want to replace it. The name on it appears to say FLORESTONE PROD CO made in China. Number on it is 2 UBC. Size is 3" diameter and 1.5" deep. The thickness of the rubber...

Seal drain opening in concrete slab [ 1 Answers ]

I have just installed a one piece tub/shower unit in my basement. I had to break out about 15 inches of concrete slab from the box that was originally there to accommodate a tub. The hole is completely under the tub which which will be framed into the walls on 3 sides. Should the opening in my slab...

Moved From E Mail-- Shower drain Seal. [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing the drain in a fiberglass shower due to a leak. Evidently the Drain had worked loose over time. My question is whether to use Plumber's putty or silicone around the lip of the drain? I thought plumber's Putty but I happen to notice on the back label of the container that it...

Toilet Drain Leak - Bad Seal? [ 7 Answers ]

My home is 5 years old - first plumbing problem. Our first floor half-bath. I noticed a mold ring forming around the base of the toilet. It's coming from underneath the flooring. No smells/odor - yet. After reading other posts - I'm going to try to remove the toilet, inspect the seal /...

View more questions Search