Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Arizona Jack Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2008, 05:44 PM
    Looking for a safe alternative to metoprolol succ er 25mg tab
    I am looking for a safe alternate drug to Metoprolol succ er. Even if it could be herbal. I have not started taking this drug yet as I have researched and found dangerous side effects like weight gain. The doctor is concerned about high blood pressure. I am overweight at 6-0 250.
    I am losing weight. This drug will cause me to gain. What can I do/
    Many Thanks...
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 19, 2008, 05:49 PM
    All possible side effects must be listed for drugs. You may not even gain weight. I never have from my blood pressure meds. High blood pressure CANNOT be treated with a herbal remedy. Just try the med and if you gain weight, then inform your doctor to prescribe different med. Treat your high blood pressure so you will not have any problems, like strokes.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 19, 2008, 05:54 PM
    This is listed as a possible side effect because a few choice people in a study gained weight. Aren't the benefits better than the risks?

If you are suffering with high blood pressure, which is what beta blockers are prescribed for, there are many out there. You may need to try this and see if it works, if not, there are calcium channel blockers and others that can help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Metoprolol Succinate ER vs Metoprolol Tartrate [ 2 Answers ]

My family has a prescription for Toprol, both have the same milligrams. One prescription bottle has the generic Metoprolol Succinate ER and one has the generic Metoprolol Tartrate. Is there a difference and if so what is it?

Metoprolol 25 compared metoprolol succ er 25 [ 3 Answers ]

I have two prescriptions: metoprolol tartarate 25 mg and metoprolol succ er 25 mg. Does anyone know what the effective difference is? :confused: Can one replace the other? Or be used instead of the other? Thanks! :)

Metoprolol Succinate ER and Metoprolol Tartrate [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between metoprolol succ ER metoprolol tartrate?

View more questions Search