Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Aug 18, 2008, 05:51 AM
    Hot tub shorts breaker, won't start
    Ok, this one is driving me crazy. I have a marquis sports series 500 spa. 6 years old.
    We have had NO problems till now. I popped the breaker (*hit the test button), drained it, filled it, went to click it back on, and it won't. Click the breaker and it immediately trips and the breaker flips back off. I had my electrician check the breaker and he said its fine.

So, the question is, how do I figure out what's gone bad in the hot tub? My guess is it's the heater, but really.. its odd how something broke between empty/fill.

Thanks.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2008, 06:01 AM
    I think something got wet, Hopefully the electrician removed the load from breaker to test, next he should try with blower disconnected, motor disconnected, different items to determine leak to ground.

Aug 18, 2008, 06:27 AM
    Well, I would rather not pay him to check all these things. I consider myself pretty handy. Are all the different components "plugged" in or hardwired? If they are plugged, then I could just disconnect the heater, try it, disco the pump, try it.. etc.

I'm doubting it's a wetness thing now... the hot tub has sat for almost 2 months now, so unless its leaking (I could see any leak or wetness anywhere) then it should be dry.

What would I need to test things once I discover the problem?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2008, 07:02 AM
    Many do have individual connectors for each item, I would start with the motor.
    If not plug in, you could turn off power, disconnect pump, cap wire then test, repeat.
    It is possible 2 components are leaking to ground. When hooking up, do so 1 by 1, until it trips to determine. Usually 2 things don't fail at the same time.

Aug 18, 2008, 07:03 AM
    OK, thanks. I will try it tonight!

Aug 19, 2008, 05:39 AM
    Ok,

Here is a rough diagram and a picture of the circuit board.
    I unplugged the 2 black wires (which lead to bolts the go into the metal tube) and the breaker doesn't trip anymore. From the diagram on the box, it looked like this was the heater.

So, I guess my heater is bad? I noticed 2 fuses... but how can you tell if the fuses are bad since they are wrapped in a "cloth"?

Anyway... is there a way to test if its really the heater?
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Aug 19, 2008, 06:26 AM
    Sounds like the heater. Measure resistance of each heater bolt(with power off and wires disconnected)to ground.
    Look for voltage on both sides of the fuse(s)

Aug 19, 2008, 07:01 AM
    Sorry... I can do some electrical work, but don't understand all of it.

So, I need to disconnect the wires from the heater "bolts" then hook a meter (what kind of meter?) from one bolt to the ground wire, then the other bolt to the ground wire?

What am I looking for doing this?

And to test the voltage, I would assume I leave the power off and check to see if power can flow through the fuses? Using.. a voltmeter?

Thanks!!
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2008, 03:17 PM
    Those 2 bolts connect to the Element, It should have Low ohms between both bolts(Ends) of the element, if it is open, it won't heat, also it will allow current to flow to ground, and trip GFI.
    You want to check for resistance between Heater housing and each bolt, Very High resistance is needed here.
    2 ways you can check fuses. 1 way have 1 or both ends free or circuit and with power off , measure resistance, and another way is with power on, thieir should be power to both sides of fuse, power to one side means it is blown(open).
    Try a Blow dryer around heater wiring/ connections to dry out, may get lucky.

Aug 20, 2008, 07:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    Those 2 bolts connect to the Element, It should have Low ohms between both bolts(Ends) of the element, if it is open, it wont heat, also it will allow current to flow to ground, and trip GFI.
    You want to check for resistance between Heater housing and each bolt, Very High resistance is needed here.
    2 ways you can check fuses. 1 way have 1 or both ends free or circuit and with power off , measure resistance, and another way is with power on, thieir should be power to both sides of fuse, power to one side means it is blown(open).
    Try a Blow dryer around heater wiring/ connections to dry out, may get lucky.
    Doubting that.. lol has sat for 2 months.. its BONE dry in there. Lol

OK... now I got to ask my buddies to see who's got some gadgets I can try this with.

Thanks again... I'll post back with some data soon (I hope)
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2008, 02:53 PM
    Without all the testing, with power off, disconnect heater, if it doesn't trip, just replace heater, 99% sure, without seeing.

Aug 21, 2008, 05:48 AM
    Yeah, I did disconnect it... doesn't trip now.

Sooo... is it hard to replace one of these?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1997 honda civic dx won't crank won't start [ 17 Answers ]

I have a 1997 honda civic dx 5 speed. Yesterday car was fine, started strong and drove strong. I parked car last night and about 4-5 hours later tried to start it. When I turned the key in the ignition there was no crank at all. I can hear a little hum and then a click but that's all.

Saturn won't start, power locks won't work, radio resets itself. [ 4 Answers ]

My 99 Saturn has had some starting problems in the past. It would sometimes not start but if you let it sit from anywhere from 45 minutes to 24 hours, it would eventually start. Or, after having Dad look at it, we could tap the starter and it would work. So we thought it was the starter. I...

93 Civic won't start, turns over but won't crank [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1993 honda del sol SI that I converted to manual, before the swap everything was fine, cranked up, my battery and alterntor were going bad but would crank up, after the swap, it turns over but nothing happens,I'm not gettting any spark at all, I went and got a new distributor but still...

Light switch shorts out circuit breaker [ 13 Answers ]

Sorry!! :D Wrong category. :o This is mighty dump of me to begin with. I was switching my two switches left to right and the metal part of the switch touched the positive screw. :eek: Yes. I did not switch off the circuit breaker. :p I thought it was no big deal because I was just...

Kenmore he4 panel won't work and dryer won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have had the circuit board/panel replaced once on my he4. I had only 2 weeks left on the warranty and figured it should be OK once it was fixed. They wanted another $200 to renew the warranty! Didn't have the $$ at the time. Anyway, the same darn thing is happening... you have to push the buttons...

View more questions Search