Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orangelocomotive Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2006, 05:08 AM
    How often can I dye my hair?
    My natural hair color is a reddish brown and I recently dyed it black. I meant to dye it brown to get rid of the red, which I hate, but after I bought the wrong kind of dye and messed up, I colored it black to cover it and it turned out really well and actually looks really good. I dyed it about a month ago and after two weeks, had to re-dye it. After a week and a half, my hair is showing through brown again in spots. I admit, I put my hair through a lot; it's curly and I blow it dry and straighten it every day. But shouldn't permanent dye last longer than a week? I've considered having it done in a salon - but will that make it last longer? Will dying it every two weeks be that damaging? What can I do to make the dye last longer?
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2006, 07:49 AM
    Of course, dying it often and blowing drying you hair everyday will definitley cause damage to the hair.
    In fact I have curly hair and I used to always blow dry it.. then I stopped because it was never growing longer due to all the split ends and dryness.

So I now leave it curly.. curly hair is great ;)
    And occasionally I blow dry it, for maybe special occasions and it looks a lot healthier.
    Why do you need to blow dry every every day? Do you wash your hair every day? That may be a reason why your dye only lasted 2 weeks.. I'm guessing!
    Or Maybe because it was a semi-permenant colour instead of permanent?

I used to also dye my hair my redish, to black and vice versa and it always lasted 4 - 6 weeks.
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2006, 07:56 AM
    RICKJ
    This is another thread that is not appearing under my profile, while it should be as I replied to it.
    BUT as I wrote this - it suddenly appeared on my profile
    orangelocomotive Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2006, 08:18 AM
    I wash it everyday. It gets oily if I don't. I was thinking of trying to wash it every other day, but I blow it dry because then I straighten it and blowing it dry makes it easier. I guess twice the heat isn't necessary and I could just straighten it and not blow it dry. My hair isn't pretty curly... I do like curly hair, but mine isn't the good curly, it's the gross curly.

And I'm sure it was permanent dye. =)
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2006, 08:25 AM
    Twice the heat on your hair is definitley not good.
    What I would do, if you want to wash your hair everyday, do that but don't blow dry, pull it back and blow dry just your fringe that's what I do to save damaging my hair.
    And when you wash your hair try not to use so much conditioner, use it on your hair tips only, that may save your hair being to oily.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

May 31, 2006, 12:20 AM
    Most permanent color uses peroxide (10 to 40 vol.) and ammonia. Permanent color will last until you cut it out or until you get it re-colored. They require maintenance to new hair growth after 4 to 6 weeks. If you want the color to last without fading, apply a deep conditioning treatment to your hair a few days before coloring. The better conditioned your hair is, the easier the color will take and the longer it will last. You can also use shampoos and conditioners that are designed for color treated hair. You should consider going to the salon to have your hair colored. When you have your hair professional done, the hairstylist will give you tips on how to maintain the color by yourself.

Use a blow dryer with an attachment to help focus and direct air flow and reduce frizz. When Using dryers, make sure you keep your dryer moving at all times to prevent heat damage. Apply straightening balm or serum to damp hair, then you're going to take a round brush and beginning at the roots, gently pull the brush through the hair to the ends while you blow-dry it. If you want sleek straight hair, you must dry the hair until it's completely dry. Then, use a flat iron all over the hair and add a little of hair wax or serum to finish the look.
    allyjay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 02:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by orangelocomotive
    My natural hair color is a reddish brown and I recently dyed it black. I meant to dye it brown to get rid of the red, which I hate, but after I bought the wrong kind of dye and messed up, I colored it black to cover it and it turned out really well and actually looks really good. I dyed it about a month ago and after two weeks, had to re-dye it. After a week and a half, my hair is showing through brown again in spots. I admit, I put my hair through a lot; it's curly and I blow it dry and straighten it every day. But shouldn't permanent dye last longer than a week? I've considered having it done in a salon - but will that make it last longer? Will dying it every two weeks be that damaging? What can I do to make the dye last longer?
    Hair has a limit on how many times you can dye it, each time you do it is a chemical process and should not be repeated over and over again. Try using semi-permanent colours as these are conditioner based and so are really good for your hair, also try to get it cut every 6 weeks as this will remove some of the dye.
    mandi098 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 11:19 AM
    I have had the same problems as you. I've dyed my hair many times, and many different colors, which does take a toll. You should only dye your hair every 4-6 weeks. But even then I found that my hair was becoming much more frizzy. I recently just cut a large amount of my hair off, to kind of start over. Since then I have dyed it a redish brown and like you, wanted to get rid of the red. I find that no matter what I use the brown quickly fades and the red soon appears. I even used a blue base dye, and not red. Anyway I had a hair stylist tell me that if I stripped my hair (which is like bleaching it so that its very white) I could dye any color over it, and it would last. I'm not sure if that's something you would be willing to try or not. I know you can get it professionaly done, or get the hair stripper and a beauty supply store. It is damaging to the hair, but I think in the long run it could be worth it. You won't have that red or black or any color for that matter, trying to come trough. They also sell color protecting conditioners at the beauty supply store, which seem to help me a lot. There are some that actually have a hint of color in them, and there are others (which I use) that just somehow protect against fading of your dye, and will work for any color. They smell great and are great at keeping my hair moist. I wash my hair every day like you. And honestly I noticed that my color lasted almost twice as long while using this. You may want to try this first, get some and start using right away the next time you dye your hair.
    Enrique Suavecito Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2008, 01:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mandi098
    I have had the same problems as you. I've dyed my hair many times, and many different colors, which does take a toll. You should only dye your hair every 4-6 weeks. But even then I found that my hair was becoming much more frizzy. I recently just cut a large amount of my hair off, to kind of start over. Since then I have dyed it a redish brown and like you, wanted to get rid of the red. I find that no matter what I use the brown quickly fades and the red soon appears. I even used a blue base dye, and not red. Anyway I had a hair stylist tell me that if I stripped my hair (which is like bleaching it so that its very white) I could dye any color over it, and it would last. I'm not sure if thats something you would be willing to try or not. I know you can get it professionaly done, or get the hair stripper and a beauty supply store. It is damaging to the hair, but I think in the long run it could be worth it. You wont have that red or black or any color for that matter, trying to come trough. They also sell color protecting conditioners at the beauty supply store, which seem to help me a lot. There are some that actually have a hint of color in them, and there are others (which I use) that just somehow protect against fading of your dye, and will work for any color. They smell great and are great at keeping my hair moist. I wash my hair every day like you. And honestly I noticed that my color lasted almost twice as long while using this. You may want to try this first, get some and start using right away the next time you dye your hair.
    Joo zee, ze problemz is not wit ze hair per se chikacita. It is wit ze attitude zat joo take wit ze hair.

Pendeja.
    Enrique Suavecito Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2008, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Krs
    RICKJ
    this is another thread that is not appearing under my profile, while it should be as i replied to it.
    BUT as i wrote this - it suddenly appeared on my profile
    Liar.
    stylistjennifer Posts: 74, Reputation: 2

Jan 25, 2008, 10:25 PM
    Dye is not good for your hair if you do it often, but by a cosmetologist is better and if they use redken color it has a conditioning ajent in it and its better.
    If you wait 3 days after you get your color done and not wash it, it will stay in longer.
    Feverxo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2010, 02:51 PM
    Red and black are two of the hardest colors to make disappear... Red being the hardest... Maybe if you washed your hair in cold water to prevent the color to fade it might help... Do not condition. Your hair at least a full 24 hours before dying your hair because it prevents the color from taking full effect causing it to not be permanent... Oh and you should try to wash your hair only every other week... Your hair will become accustomed to it and be less greasy after a bit. Washing too often will cause your hair damage losing the natural oil it needs to stay healthy and shiny making it leas succescible to retaining the dye correctly.

Good luck! These are just tips I received from my hair dresser... He is amazing an totally Svedberg my hair from falling completely out from black and blonde dye... oh and remember when you straighten your hair you should use this spray that protects your hair from heat.. Try treseme heat protecting spray it is vitamin enriched which maKes your hair feel awesome once straight!
    Feverxo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2010, 02:51 PM
    Red and black are two of the hardest colors to make disappear... Red being the hardest... Maybe if you washed your hair in cold water to prevent the color to fade it might help... Do not condition. Your hair at least a full 24 hours before dying your hair because it prevents the color from taking full effect causing it to not be permanent... Oh and you should try to wash your hair only every other week... Your hair will become accustomed to it and be less greasy after a bit. Washing too often will cause your hair damage losing the natural oil it needs to stay healthy and shiny making it leas succescible to retaining the dye correctly.

Good luck! These are just tips I received from my hair dresser... He is amazing an totally Svedberg my hair from falling completely out from black and blonde dye... oh and remember when you straighten your hair you should use this spray that protects your hair from heat.. Try treseme heat protecting spray it is vitamin enriched which maKes your hair feel awesome once straight!
    angelsaboveme14 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2011, 12:29 PM
    Use sulfate-free shampoo. Most shampoos strip color simply because of the type of soap used. TIGI has some great options. Should say "Sulfate-Free" right on the bottle.
    yaelforman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2011, 12:39 PM
    This is the story of my life.. I feel you!
    shelbu1991 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2011, 10:33 AM
    Try dyeing your hair with henna and indigo, it's a totally permanent, plant-based dye. It consists of ground up henna leaves and stems and a mild acid, like lemon juice, that helps the dye release. It also deep-conditions your hair, leaving it softer and silkier than before. The best part is, it's WAY cheaper than a salon (my kits from Mehandi.com are about $15 and dye up to shoulder-length hair) and you can use it as often as you like. In fact, the more often you use it, the healthier your hair becomes.

When choosing a BLACK henna-based dye, be careful to avoid PPD-based dyes as they can cause severe allergic reactions. The kits purchased online at Mehandi.com are guaranteed PPD-free and come with a great deal of user responses and tips on how to dye your hair at home.
    acsr4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2011, 02:09 PM
    visit a decent hairdresser and ask advice, advice doesn't cost and if their advice is good you know you can trust them with your hair. They know what to use on your hair as they can see it too. Don't take any nonsense from people who can't give actual advice. Over using anything on your hair will damage it but there are certain products you can use like different types of conditioner and small amount of serum. Don't dye your hair a much lighter colour than it is and don't dye it every 4 weeks or less. Let it grow out if possible.
    JAMDixon Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2011, 03:58 PM
    If you leave your hair curly it won't get as oily. I have crazy hair and I can leave it for a couple of days without even noticing a difference but once I straighten it I have to wash it the next day. To get pretty curly hair you need to use a round tip serum or wave mousse... whatever your preference of styling applications they will make it to work with curly hair. Don't brush it out when you get out of the shower; towel dry, add your styling stuff, then leave it alone. If you are short on time for it to air dry use a diffuser -really short on time skip that and use your dryer regularly; but it will blow out some of the curl. You will be amazed how long it takes your hair to get oily this way. Another tip is to put baby powder on your oily roots and work it through. I don't advise stripping your hair... if you think it is frizzy now it will be awful. Salon dye jobs do last much longer, it will be the correct color, (they can mix! ) and they will trim your dead ends while they are at it. Your hair will feel amazing and they can give you more tips on curly hair for your exact hair type. (of course it always looks good when they do it -replicating is the problem) I have similar hair and I hope this helped!!
    AppleJuiceLover Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2012, 04:58 PM
    Welll I use box hair dye. & I get the long lasting kind. It lasts awhile for me. Maybe your not putting enough in.
    sanaullahlandar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2012, 01:18 PM
    http://clickseeon.com/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair loss due to hair dye [ 14 Answers ]

I feel sooo terible, I used dye called (biegen, I think) it is very cheap, I did not like the color so I used around 3 boxes in a week to change the color now my hair is very dry and is falling like crazy especially at the front I can see my scalp now, what should I do would my hair grow back or...

HELP! Brown hair color turned my hair a dark red! [ 31 Answers ]

So my girlfriend helped me color my hair to hide a few gray hairs coming in. Its usually a light to med brown, thought I might go darker. We used Loreal excellence crème ( Medium Brown). It actuall turned my hair into almost a dark redish brown, looks like I have naturally dark red hair! HELP! ...

HELP: Going from Black Hair to Brown Hair [ 42 Answers ]

Ok, firstly, Id like to apologies as I realise there are many topics on this forum about this, however, they have only confused me more, as some say that it is not possible to do it without bleaching, and some say that there are hair dye removal products that can do it. I naturally have dark...

How to get rid of hair dye/keeping hair dye from fading [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I have kind of a problem and no one knows what to do, especially me! I have beautiful dark dark brown hair. I don't know why, but I let someone highlight my hair blonde about 2 years ago. They turned orange, so I dyed my hair dark brown again to get my color back and I was happy. Within a...

My hair [ 2 Answers ]

A few days ago, I went to the beauty shop. Deciding that I wanted a new doo. So I picked out a color, which wasn't far from my natural color light brown. And when she dried my hair, it was a little darker than I expected, in fact I noticed that it looked kind of orange. Now my mom paid for it and...

View more questions Search