Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    weekendwarrior Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

May 22, 2006, 11:24 AM
    16.5 Briggs in MTD will not start
    I have a 16.5 ovh Briggs in an MTD. The mower started and ran fine the last few mowings. However, now it will not fire. The starter will turn the motor for a few seconds and then it will "bog" down. I can turn the motor by hand past the "hard" part of the engine cycle and the starter will turn the engine over again for a few revolutions.

The engine has spark. When the spark plug removed to check spark the starter spins the engine very easily. I have used starter fluid in the carb and still can not get the engine to fire.

I have checked the alignment of the flywheel with the shaft to see that the magnet on the flywheel passes the coil at the appropriate time and seems to be okay to me.

What next?

Thanks.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2006, 07:59 PM
    Adjust the valves.

Is this a new mower or a couple years old?
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2006, 08:01 PM
    HTML Code:
    http://faqs.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/faqs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3441&p_created=1101860144\

Copy this into your browser, some reason just putting this as a link doesn't work right.

May 23, 2006, 06:35 AM
    The mower is several years old. 10 or less, though, I think.

May 24, 2006, 04:47 AM
    Briggsdude: Thanks, worked like a charm. I adjusted valves and engine fired right up. Maybe even better than it has for the last few years.
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2006, 07:32 PM
    Glad your up and going, this usually is the thing to do when you see them stopping on the compression stroke, starter and battery being perfectly fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

12.5 briggs and stratton won't start [ 18 Answers ]

I'm rebuilding the engine on my murray, it's a 12.5 horsepower power built. I have a brand new starter and the solonoid was replaced about a year ago, but it just clicks when I turn the key, if I hook up the starter and try and turn it over the solonoid clicks multiple times rapidly then won't...

Briggs & Stratton cranks but does not start [ 11 Answers ]

I have an MTD Yard Machine powered by a B&S 12.5 hp code 9311064E type 0154-01. The engine cranks slowly and in spurts approximating the four cycles. When I remove the spark plug the engine spins normally. I had the battery checked at a battery shop and it was pronounced fine after a load test. A...

16 HP Briggs and Stratton won't Start [ 11 Answers ]

I was mowing the lawn a couple of days ago and the engine just died on me. I have good spark. I bought a new fuel pump and installed it but still no luck. I can squirt some gas in the carb and it will start right up, then die back off as the gas is used up. There is plenty of gas going through the...

Briggs 14.5 OHV won't start [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Briggs 14.5hp riding lawn mower that when you try to start the flywheel won't turn or will make a slow turn and pause then another slow turn and stop. I cleaned the ground cables, replaced the battery, carb, and spark plug. Trying to jump across the solenoid doesn't work either so its not...

Briggs 16.5 won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a B/S 16.5 OHV Twin (Commercial model). Generally speaking it starts as soon as I hit the key. Today when shutting it down it backfired twice (two different occasions) but started normally. When I went to start it to put it in the shed no luck. Doesn't sputter or backfire. Changed the...

View more questions Search