Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Aug 16, 2008, 07:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    They want you to be happy, Cred--as happy as they are.
    That's fine. But why do so many of them have to be told to keep their happiness and shove it in their...
    "Spread the word" is one thing. Forcing it upon people is quite something else!

And when I see them I often ask myself if they really are so happy. I don't think so...

:rolleyes:

·
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2008, 07:52 PM
    Tralyn said,
    "Perhaps this is a stretch, but I always thought a person's spirituality should bring them to a humble and happy place and I would think that is what they would want to condone and share with others."

Spirituality is different from religion. Spirituality can and does bring people to a happy, humble place in their lives. That isn't a stretch at all, is it?

Many of those who attempt to cram their religious views down other's throats lack spirituality. Lacking spirituality seems to be a prime ingredient in the recipe for superiority.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2008, 07:55 PM
    I agree 100% religion is not really Christian. It is a form of Christianity but lacks spirituality.
    Tralyn Posts: 230, Reputation: 17

Aug 16, 2008, 08:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie
    Lacking spirituality seems to be a prime ingredient in the recipe for superiority.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... love that strong and powerful statement!!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 16, 2008, 08:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    That's fine. But why do so many of them have to be told to keep their happiness and shove it in their .....
    "Spread the word" is one thing. Forcing it upon people is quite something else!

And when I see them I often ask myself if they really are so happy. I don't think so ....

·
    They are wrong and very unChristian. Jesus said to love others, not force him down others' throats.

Religion is organizations. Nothing spiritual.

Aug 16, 2008, 08:25 PM
    In the town that I grew up in I witnessed people who claimed to be Catholic through and through, went to church every Sunday, in their Sunday best, showed their faces at all the religious events, went out for brunch afterwards... on and on...

More often than not their children thought they were better than me because I was brought up in a Lutheran church. The lifted their nose at me and the other lutheran children. They were snots plain and simple. Their parents also acted snooty, many of them had affairs on their spouses, (in a small town you hear everything about everyone), many of them frequented the bars and got extremely plastered, being beligerent and rude.

But every Sunday, they played a role... made me sick. They were no better than anybody else and yet they acted it. Has anyone else noticed that in others?
    -

Aug 17, 2008, 05:06 PM
    They are wrong and very unChristian. Jesus said to love others, not force him down others' throats. Religion is organizations. Nothing spiritual.
    Ok. But once more my question : "Why are so many of them trying to force their religious views onto others"? Doesn't anyone of them realize that their attitude drives people with other views away from the intended missionary goal? Why can't most of them not accept my clear "No, thank you"??

·
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 17, 2008, 05:16 PM
    I answered you on page 2 --

Many of those who push religion on others have been commanded by their church and minister to do so, since that is how they interpret certain Bible verses--"go and teach all nations." Churches have evangelism committees that plan mission campaigns not only to foreign countries but also in their own neighborhoods.

A big part of that is these people believe Jesus won't return to earth until all "people-groups" have been preached to and many have been converted. Thus, if an unbeliever won't convert, he is messing up the effort to get Jesus back because when Jesus returns, believers will go to heaven.

Also, these Christians want what's best for you. Of course, what THEY think is best for you and what YOU think is best for you usually isn't the same.
    Pushing, they think, is more effective than a gentle approach when you won't take them seriously. They want to scare you into heaven.
    -

Aug 17, 2008, 06:28 PM
    I answered you on page 2
    I referred to my post #21 and your post #25.

Pushing, they think, is more effective than a gentle approach when you won't take them seriously. They want to scare you into heaven.
    You keep referring to Christians and Christianity. I refer to religion in general (Other Religion). Of all major religions only Judaism and Buddhism have so far been non-pushing their belief, and tolerant to other views.

·
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 17, 2008, 07:08 PM
    I referred to my post #21 and your post #25.

You keep referring to Christians and Christianity. I refer to religion in general (Other Religion). Of all major religions only Judaism and Buddhism have so far been non-pushing their belief, and tolerant to other views.
    I am Christian and know only how Christians think. I work with two Hindu women who do not even talk about their religion, much less push it on anyone.

We have a Muslim on site, firmbeliever, so maybe you will get a response from that religion.

What religions have you noticed as pushy?
    -

Aug 18, 2008, 05:14 PM
    What religions have you noticed as pushy?
    Christianity is number one, as that includes the mission to "go and spread the word".
    Unfortunately as with so many other statements in the Bible that mission statement is open for wide personal interpretation. Some Christians even find it necessary to push their religion through other people's throat. Is that pushy enough for you?

·
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 18, 2008, 06:12 PM
    Christianity is number one, as that includes the mission to "go and spread the word".
    Unfortunately as with so many other statements in the Bible that mission statement is open for wide personal interpretation. Some Christians even find it necessary to push their religion through other people's throat. Is that pushy enough for you?:rolleyes: ·
    The poster (you) had said it wasn't only Christians doing it, so I had asked who else, what other religions do it. No eye-rolling is necessary.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 18, 2008, 06:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tralyn
    In the town that I grew up in I witnessed people who claimed to be Catholic through and through, went to church every Sunday, in their Sunday best, showed their faces at all the religious events, went out for brunch afterwards... on and on...

More often than not their children thought they were better than me because I was brought up in a Lutheran church. The lifted their nose at me and the other lutheran children. They were snots plain and simple. Their parents also acted snooty, many of them had affairs on their spouses, (in a small town you hear everything about everyone), many of them frequented the bars and got extremely plastered, being beligerent and rude.

But every Sunday, they played a role.... made me sick. They were no better than anybody else and yet they acted it. Has anyone else noticed that in others?
    OMG, your story is so similar to mine that it sent shivers down my spine. My friends Catholic parents told me I was going to hell because I wasn't Catholic. They told my parents that they were neglectful because they hadn't made me Catholic and forced me to go to the Catholic Church.

These same wonderful Christians molested their kids, beat them, cheated on their spouses, cheated employees, employers, everyone they could get away with. Every Sunday they put on their best clothes, the children got bathed and fed and dressed in their finest, and off they'd go to Church to be fake in front of God.

Of course not all of them, but too many to ignore, and enough of them that it turned me off organized religion forever.

God yes, religion, bible, no thank you.
    -

Aug 19, 2008, 01:23 AM
    The poster (you) had said it wasn't only Christians doing it, so I had asked who else, what other religions do it.
    In a way almost all religions do that. It's just Christianity that is worst with that.
    And as an indication : certain groups within Islam are neither open too much tolerance of other religious and/or non-religious views. Ask the people in New York !
    And I also see the Hari-Khrisna's frequently going from door to door to spread their message.

No eye-rolling is necessary.
    Sure, not necessary, but it displays my opinion perfectly! Here are some other smilies !

:cool: :D :mad: :( ;)

·
    -

Aug 19, 2008, 01:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg
    God yes, religion, bible, no thank you.
    Not my personal view, but a totally valid opinion !

:)

·

Aug 19, 2008, 04:24 PM
    Altenweg - isn't it the truth? I honestly think that is when I started to get turned off to organized religion as well. I found it as a place where people hid their true selves behind and it was ugly to me. I'm so glad I'm not alone in my experiences!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 19, 2008, 04:38 PM
    Tralyn, you are definitely not alone. :)
    spyderglass Posts: 434, Reputation: 34

Sep 6, 2008, 03:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tralyn
    I am a spritual person. I do not understand for one minute why people, and that's to say A LOT of people literally try and push their religion and/or their beliefs on others. Giving somebody the proper tools to learn on their own is one thing, preaching is quite another. Many religions, spiritual beliefs speak of love and ACCEPTANCE... and anyone ever hear of not thinking youre better than everyone else? Am I the only one that thinks this is what's happening today? I personally think it is horribly sad.
    In Christianity it is called "Witnessing"
    They try to sway you to their way of thinking because
    It's the Christian thing to do-
    And they become so passionate about it they can get mean-
    My father is a preacher and I am a Pagan- it has caused many heated discussions

If a religion teaches you that everyone else is going to hell- and you like someone or
    You care about people- You BELIEVE that they will go to hell if they don't believe what you believe- that is why they do it

Since I know the bible and other assorted religious works pretty well- I usually
    End up stumping the person trying to convert me- I get written off as a 'lost cause'
    *rolls eyes
    spyderglass Posts: 434, Reputation: 34

Sep 6, 2008, 03:46 PM
    In Christianity it is called "Witnessing"
    They try to sway you to their way of thinking because
    It's the Christian thing to do-
    And they become so passionate about it they can get mean-
    My father is a preacher and I am a Pagan- it has caused many heated discussions

If a religion teaches you that everyone else is going to hell- and you like someone or
    You care about people- You BELIEVE that they will go to hell if they don't believe what you believe- that is why they do it

Since I know the bible and other assorted religious works pretty well- I usually
    End up stumping the person trying to convert me- I get written off as a 'lost cause'
    *rolls eyes
    -

Sep 6, 2008, 04:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderglass
    In Christianity it is called "Witnessing"...
    Correct, but there is more to that : the Christian Mission is to "spread the word".
    Unfortunately many Christians do not "spread the word", but go overboard by trying to force their religious views onto others - totally AGAINST their Christian Mission, in the mistaken belief that they will be rewarded towards the number of converts they managed, or that it is their duty to "save" people against their own will.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Religion, Governments, and control over the people [ 96 Answers ]

If there is one bad common thing that history has shown, it has to be the co-operation between - and supplementing of - religion and government, a joint operation to keep "the people" quiet and obedient to those in power. Even in the nation that was based on a strict separation between state and...

Push to connect [ 5 Answers ]

Any recommendations on push to connect, crimp ring and stainless steel crimp connection. Thanks

Push-Pull Push-Pull [ 3 Answers ]

My Ex GF and I have been boken up for 3months now. We are still totally connected and a lot of the time I feel that we are still in love with each other. We were together for 4.5 years. When we broke up she started to date this guy, A guy that she admitted to having a crush on while we were...

Push?! [ 9 Answers ]

I was wondering what crybabypirate meant when she said to push when I go up about my roundoffs.Was she talking about my hands or my feet?? Remember, there is no stupid question.! addy

View more questions Search